Gas Prices V

sammyk

If we use the supposed base cost for both models(although good luck finding them) of the altima the difference is only about 2500 dollars so then the miles would be about 82,000 miles until you made up the difference at 4 dollars.

Base 20470 Base Hybrid 25480 according to their web site.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, that's a lot of miles! Doesn't seem all that worth it as far as getting your money back. I know I'll never put that many miles on one car, hell not even two combined.

The numbers are probably a little more favorable since I think most people do more stop and go driving then highway, so the non-hybrid MPG is probably a little lower than my simple calculation.

Of course the hybrid benefits from the gas prices being so high. I'm actually pretty surprised the number of miles was so high since I think I had the normal impression that the gas mileage would even out the price difference and I would eventually save money with such high gas prices. It's hard to do that with the Altima unless you already want the technology package since that is a $6000 product and seems fairly standard on the hybrids, which probably makes sense since most people looking into the hybrid probably are looking for extra amenities as well.

My uncle got it this year on his?
I thought the program was over but it appears that they extended it for certain vehicles

I had checked somewhere earlier this year and all I found was that it was over.

I know ours was not one of the eligible for the tax credit.

Edited by Devilish34

just read the rest of posts... ya the tax break was still available.. he drives a honda accord i think, and he got it this year.

Dazzle him with your math skills now to show him after how many miles he'll have made his money back. If the accord had a basic model in hybrid he should be able to hit that number.

they are more environmental fans.. and they buy used cars all the time... new ones on rare occasion and then just sell it... money is hardly their concern..although they dont act like it.

Dazzle him with your math skills now to show him after how many miles he'll have made his money back. If the accord had a basic model in hybrid he should be able to hit that number.

This is very true when we got our hybrid it was based on our current cars mpg.

Our Yukon got 13mpg daily driving our RX gets 28mpg and my wife drives about 22k a year.

(Standard RX gets about 17-20 mpg according to people I know who have one)

I'm not a fan of the smaller SUV but the bitch and moan of spending a $100+ a week

for gas has stopped for now.

I had checked somewhere earlier this year and all I found was that it was over.

I know ours was not one of the eligible for the tax credit.

I don't think it's a matter of extension. It appears the tax break is based on the number of units sold per model. Looks like it might reset for every new model that is released.

Oh good, more number crunching. What was your MPG without E85 and what was it with E85? I wonder how much gasoline you saved with the MPG drop.

14 with reg 11 e85

I noticed my hwy mpg dropped also at least 2mpg.

So you pay less and use more.

Now with diesel it's you pay more but use less right?

Ain't science grand?

Not necessarily true my diesel pick up I use to drive gets 14 mpg(cityish) average and 18-20 mpg hwy,

but that truck also weighs more than my Avalanche. Now with some smaller diesel cars you might see

a jump in mpg.