Last Jersey team standing

Revan

Okay, so after the Nets move to Brooklyn, the Devils will remain the only major league team with 'New Jersey' in name. The Giants and the Jets play in NJ too, but they feel New York and that's what their names say.

Do you think the Jersey factor could generate some more interest for the Devils? I mean, with the proper marketing, they could become the real New Jerseyans' Team. The last team actually acknowledging its location and roots. When they reach the Stanley Cup Final again, it should be a huge deal for the whole state. When the Penguins played in the Final, the whole city was rooting for them (and they have the Pirates and the Steelers, too), someone even posted here (Satans Devils, AFAIR) a photo with the lights in a building set to say "Go Pens".

Of course the dream of turning Newark into a hockey town (or New Jersey into a hockey state) is unreal, but do you think there's a chance some of the Jerseyans will recognize the Devils as their true team, the only real major league NJ team and follow them? Maybe some of the Nets fans will rather go to see the Devils in their home state rather than travel to Brooklyn?

No, it's not exactly the next attendance thread. ;-) It's not only about the attendance, but about the interest of the Devils among people in general and how people feel about the Devs.

Thoughts?

I hope we pick up the Nets fan base, that will fill another 20 seats a game

:lol:

I think it is possible with the right marketing. People from New Jersey seem to be very proud of their state, so I think if they marketed toward that, they might see some results. It's probably not going to convert many Flyers or Rangers fans, but it might draw some people who never really paid much attention to hockey, or make some casual fans into real fans. It's not going to happen just by being the last New Jersey team, they have to market it as "New Jersey's team". In other words, people aren't going to jump on the Jersey pride bandwagon by themselves, they need to market it as such and then I think people will eat it up.

Reports say there is a chance that the Nets move to the Rock. Brooklyn doesnt seem to want them.

If it is not the Nets I can see a team like the Bobcats coming to the Rock in a few years. The Prudential Center will eventually have an NBA team for sure in the near future.

If it is not the Nets I can see a team like the Bobcats coming to the Rock in a few years. The Prudential Center will eventually have an NBA team for sure in the near future.

The NBA will not allow a third team in this market especially when you consider the historic troubles of the Nets.

The NBA will not allow a third team in this market especially when you consider the historic troubles of the Nets.

They also seem to watch to stretch the map. I'd think the Nets moving out of the market is 1,000,000 times more likely than a Newark relocation for anyone other than the Nets.

I think it is possible with the right marketing. People from New Jersey seem to be very proud of their state, so I think if they marketed toward that, they might see some results. It's probably not going to convert many Flyers or Rangers fans, but it might draw some people who never really paid much attention to hockey, or make some casual fans into real fans. It's not going to happen just by being the last New Jersey team, they have to market it as "New Jersey's team". In other words, people aren't going to jump on the Jersey pride bandwagon by themselves, they need to market it as such and then I think people will eat it up.

Imagine commercials with Devils highlights and people like Kevin Smith, Bruce Willis, Bruce Springsteen, etc. saying "Jersey Pride" at the end or something. It would never happen because the Devils would never pay celebrities for endorsements, but it's a nice thought.

The Nets practically gave tickets away. If you look it as the large majority of people chose to go to a sporting event and simply picked the cheaper one than the Devils could get a few hundred more people at some games. Yea, there are a few hardcore basketball fans who would never consider visiting a hockey rink but even they may scoff at the longer distance and the sure to increase prices once the Nets make their move. And for my money, they will.

But honestly, either outcome helps the Devils. They could make a killing by getting the Nets to share the building or they lose a nearby competitor. Will Jersey rally around their only team? No. They haven't done it yet so no reason to think this will amount to any significant change. People will pay attention if the NHL can continue to take positive steps or if the Devils could miraculously create a little buzz. Unfortunately, this is a team that avoids headlines and drama like the plague so I wouldn't expect that. As some have said, getting Hossa would help... but not for long.

To danoisgod, ESPN had that classic commercial with Bon Jovi and Dano after the Devils won the cup. Jersey Day I think it was called. It was incredible but you can never find it anywhere. I had it on my old computer but lost everything one fateful day. It's not even up on youtube.

Edited by Banzai Riley

The Nets practically gave tickets away. If you look it as the large majority of people chose to go to a sporting event and simply picked the cheaper one than the Devils could get a few hundred more people at some games. Yea, there are a few hardcore basketball fans who would never consider visiting a hockey rink but even they may scoff at the longer distance and the sure to increase prices once the Nets make their move. And for my money, they will.

But honestly, either outcome helps the Devils. They could make a killing by getting the Nets to share the building or they lose a nearby competitor. Will Jersey rally around their only team? No. They haven't done it yet so no reason to think this will amount to any significant change. People will pay attention if the NHL can continue to take positive steps or if the Devils could miraculously create a little buzz. Unfortunately, this is a team that avoids headlines and drama like the plague so I wouldn't expect that. As some have said, getting Hossa would help... but not for long.

To danoisgod, ESPN had that classic commercial with Bon Jovi and Dano after the Devils won the cup. Jersey Day I think it was called. It was incredible but you can never find it anywhere. I had it on my old computer but lost everything one fateful day. It's not even up on youtube.

Yeah, Dano's in a couple of commericals I can't find. Another one was where they had some kind of party and Dano was working security.

The "kid announcer" that spazzes out in another commerical..."Jimmy Key, how old is he?" shows up at the party uninvited and Dano beats him down.

Yeah, Dano's in a couple of commericals I can't find. Another one was where they had some kind of party and Dano was working security.

The "kid announcer" that spazzes out in another commerical..."Jimmy Key, how old is he?" shows up at the party uninvited and Dano beats him down.

I remember both of those commercials. The one Banzai was talking about was Dano walking around with some SportsCenter dude, talking about what a great year it was. He was saying something like, "It's been a great year for New Jersey. We won the Stanley Cup, the Nets got the top draft pick, and Bon Jovi has the No. 1 album." The Jovi starts playing "It's my Life" or some other single in the middle of the newsroom. The Scarlet Knight and some old guy with a name tag that says "Thomas Edison" are dancing. It was classic.

And I coulda swore the one where Dano is a bouncer was on YouTube, but now I can't find it. But yeah, both those commercials were classic. ESPN's old black and white hockey commercials were amazing too. They had one with Marty and his sock puppet "Mr Frenchy" and another where the Devils are playing hangman in the locker room. I think it's Stevens at the chalk board and it's almost solved ... _ORREST GUMP. Then someone guesses Q or something and Stevens throws down the chalk and storms out of the room.

Not to get too far off topic here, those ads were all great. They haven't aired in YEARS, and yet some of us still remember them. That's how powerful good advertising can be. Imagine if the Devils had some mediocre advertising at least. It would be better than what we have now ... nothing.

I remember both of those commercials. The one Banzai was talking about was Dano walking around with some SportsCenter dude, talking about what a great year it was. He was saying something like, "It's been a great year for New Jersey. We won the Stanley Cup, the Nets got the top draft pick, and Bon Jovi has the No. 1 album." The Jovi starts playing "It's my Life" or some other single in the middle of the newsroom. The Scarlet Knight and some old guy with a name tag that says "Thomas Edison" are dancing. It was classic.

And I coulda swore the one where Dano is a bouncer was on YouTube, but now I can't find it. But yeah, both those commercials were classic. ESPN's old black and white hockey commercials were amazing too. They had one with Marty and his sock puppet "Mr Frenchy" and another where the Devils are playing hangman in the locker room. I think it's Stevens at the chalk board and it's almost solved ... _ORREST GUMP. Then someone guesses Q or something and Stevens throws down the chalk and storms out of the room.

Not to get too far off topic here, those ads were all great. They haven't aired in YEARS, and yet some of us still remember them. That's how powerful good advertising can be. Imagine if the Devils had some mediocre advertising at least. It would be better than what we have now ... nothing.

I still distinctly recall Dano eating cereal from the Stanley Cup in one of thos eblack & white ESPN commercials. And you mentioning the Hangman...I had totally forgot about that one, that was awesome, haha.

Also, I think the whole Jersey Pride thing might actually be underway. I can't for the life of me find it now, but in the new season ticket campain (y'know, the white background a new font style things that they sent out and are using on the splash page of the official site), I KNOW I saw a "Jersey's Team" logo somewhere. I wish I could find it now, I thought it was on the season tickets flyer, but it's not...

I still distinctly recall Dano eating cereal from the Stanley Cup in one of thos eblack & white ESPN commercials. And you mentioning the Hangman...I had totally forgot about that one, that was awesome, haha.

Also, I think the whole Jersey Pride thing might actually be underway. I can't for the life of me find it now, but in the new season ticket campain (y'know, the white background a new font style things that they sent out and are using on the splash page of the official site), I KNOW I saw a "Jersey's Team" logo somewhere. I wish I could find it now, I thought it was on the season tickets flyer, but it's not...

There was a small "Jersey's team" logo in one of the latest Devils email blasts. I know because I saved the photo on my computer. I haven't checked it, but maybe they have a bigger version somewhere on the team's Web site?

Whether or not the Nets move to Brooklyn, the Devils should always be doing a little more "Jersey's team" campaigning around the Garden State anyway.

If anyone finds any of those old ESPN Devils commercials online anywhwere, please post them!

Edited by 95Crash

I found the picture and set it as my avatar for now. I'm on my way out the door to the Rays vs. Red Sox game (on vacation). I'll post it later.

EDIT: It's not showing up, so I'll post it later.

Edited by The Rock 07

• 3 weeks later...

Found it!