Last Jersey team standing

Revan

"I mean, with the proper marketing,"

What's proper marketing? Please don't ask the Devils to do this they don't even know and understand marketing 101.

Being the only team with the NJ name won't get the Rock more attendance for the Devils games.

The biggest problem the Devils face is the lack of a major city in NJ to actually have the season ticket base from corporations that almost every other franchise has. The meadowlands arena was originally built to try to entice the Rangers to move. They were actually considering not overhauling the Garden. But the Rangers sell out, even when they stink, because the corporates will go for a period or two and then drive out of the city when the traffic eases. Not great for fans who would like to get a ticket, but the franchise thrives because of it. And people are willing to put up with NYC more than they are with Newark.

Rutgers atheltics seems to absorb all of the Jersey Pride from people in this state.

Yeah, for the last 2 years. If Greg leaves and Rutgers returns to its previous ways then you'll see Gandolfini going to Nets games and Rutgers will become an afterthought again.

While it's no secret that NJ has long had an image problem, we each deal with it in our own way. Some of us are used to it. Some of us still get riled up about it once in a while -- myself included.

So I think it's a great thing that the Devils are making any kind of effort, no matter how small, to connect with the people in this state. It doesn't mean we don't want to have fans from out of state. It just means we want something to be proud of -- to call our own -- to take our minds off of traffic congestion, local government corruption, pollution, and the rest of all that crap.

The biggest problem the Devils face is the lack of a major city in NJ to actually have the season ticket base from corporations that almost every other franchise has. The meadowlands arena was originally built to try to entice the Rangers to move. They were actually considering not overhauling the Garden. But the Rangers sell out, even when they stink, because the corporates will go for a period or two and then drive out of the city when the traffic eases. Not great for fans who would like to get a ticket, but the franchise thrives because of it. And people are willing to put up with NYC more than they are with Newark.

That's a good point, and since the Devils aren't going anywhere now that they own the arena and make money off of everything that happens there, I'd much rather have it this way. I like being able to go to whatever games I want and not be denied because of some corporate a$$holes who have no interest in hockey. If the team's long-term existence in New Jersey was in jeopardy, then it would be a different story.

Start pumping the Devils games into South Jersey. That might give this team a bump in support. The mood around here is that it's North Jersey's team. In fact, most Flyers fans in NJ say the North Jersey Devils. It's a huge missed opportunity. If we can encroach on one team's fanbase, then I'm sure it can be arranged to impose on another.

Granted, I live about a mile from the Flyers Skate Zone so around here, it's not happening. But there is probably hope for much of Burlington County. Heck, the nickname comes from a South Jersey legend!!

Start pumping the Devils games into South Jersey. That might give this team a bump in support. The mood around here is that it's North Jersey's team. In fact, most Flyers fans in NJ say the North Jersey Devils. It's a huge missed opportunity. If we can encroach on one team's fanbase, then I'm sure it can be arranged to impose on another.

Granted, I live about a mile from the Flyers Skate Zone so around here, it's not happening. But there is probably hope for much of Burlington County. Heck, the nickname comes from a South Jersey legend!!

Doesn't Comcast run the show down there? If that's the case then I don't think you'll be seeing much Devils games down there anytime soon.

Doesn't Comcast run the show down there? If that's the case then I don't think you'll be seeing much Devils games down there anytime soon.

You think that's bad. I used to live in East Rutherford, which was also hooked up by Comcast!

I really admire the Devils' South Jersey fans. You guys must feel all alone down there, surrounded by so many Flyers fans. The ones who stick it out, must truly be hardcore!

Edited by 95Crash

You think that's bad. I used to live in East Rutherford, which was also hooked up by Comcast!

Yea I have Comcast now, their service is so terrible I have their number on my contact list. What I was trying to say is that since Comcast also owns the Flyers, there's not that good a chance they will show Devils games to their customers. They want keep the Flyers as the only option.

Yea I have Comcast now, their service is so terrible I have their number on my contact list. What I was trying to say is that since Comcast also owns the Flyers, there's not that good a chance they will show Devils games to their customers. They want keep the Flyers as the only option.

When I lived in East Rutherford and had Comcast -- admittedly, it was like seven or eight years ago -- I had to pay extra $$ in order to watch the Devils because Comcast normally didn't carry their games. I literally lived less than a mile and a half away from the arena, in the same little town that used to be the Devils home, and I almost couldn't watch their games on TV!

Other than that, though, I used to like Comcast. Their Info Guide is light years ahead of Cablevision's.

When I lived in East Rutherford and had Comcast -- admittedly, it was like seven or eight years ago -- I had to pay extra $$ in order to watch the Devils because Comcast normally didn't carry their games. I literally lived less than a mile and a half away from the arena, in the same little town that used to be the Devils home, and I almost couldn't watch their games on TV!

Other than that, though, I used to like Comcast. Their Info Guide is light years ahead of Cablevision's.

I have no idea about the info guide since I don't have digital cable, I'm still using the basic 1-99 lineup, but it seems like every couple weeks I have a problem with my internet or cable and in my experience, their customer service reps and technicians have been pathetic.

The NHL is not a major sport in America, at least not this far south of Canada...

sure there is ebbs and flows in some markets when they have success, but it is typically fleeting.

It takes decades for a fan base to get built, and 3 championships will do a lot for that.

But there is still a long way to go before any hockey team in NJ draws 16K per night, esp a Wednesday in January when the Wild are in town...

I have no idea about the info guide since I don't have digital cable, I'm still using the basic 1-99 lineup, but it seems like every couple weeks I have a problem with my internet or cable and in my experience, their customer service reps and technicians have been pathetic.

Yeah, the cable monopolies are a joke.

The NHL is not a major sport in America, at least not this far south of Canada...

sure there is ebbs and flows in some markets when they have success, but it is typically fleeting.

It takes decades for a fan base to get built, and 3 championships will do a lot for that.

But there is still a long way to go before any hockey team in NJ draws 16K per night, esp a Wednesday in January when the Wild are in town...

You raise good points there, I think the problem is the start times of games, they need to be put back to at least 7.30, getting to the arena after work can be hell as traffic in NJ is gridlock, I reckons you could add 1500-2500 to the gate if a later puck drop was instituted.

ESPN's old black and white hockey commercials were amazing too. They had one with Marty and his sock puppet "Mr Frenchy" and another where the Devils are playing hangman in the locker room. I think it's Stevens at the chalk board and it's almost solved ... _ORREST GUMP. Then someone guesses Q or something and Stevens throws down the chalk and storms out of the room.

This sounds hilarious. It needs to be found and posted immediately.

As far as the advertising thing goes, why don't we take matters into our own hands? I'm a videographer... anyone have any ideas?

You raise good points there, I think the problem is the start times of games, they need to be put back to at least 7.30, getting to the arena after work can be hell as traffic in NJ is gridlock, I reckons you could add 1500-2500 to the gate if a later puck drop was instituted.

Excellent point. The earlier start times are the primary reason I'm not getting my season tickets this year. I work in Midtown Manhattan and I get out between 6 - 6:30. I usually don't get home until 7:00. If I were going by myself that would be one thing...hop the Path and I'd be there...but I have to pick up my g/f, take the drive to Newark, park, etc. Once it's all said and done, the 1st period is well over and it's probably 10 minutes into the 2nd. I really don't know what the logic is of having such early start times.