Salvador signs with NJ

brodeur14301991

you really make me laugh - you're like my wife with the mood swings. i don't like the deal right now - but i've gotta see how everything shakes out today before i make final judgement.

when you're in new jersey's position sometimes you have to throw a lot behind one year. salvador's contract isn't a cap-killer if it does get bought out. i'm not happy about the deal, of course, but with brylin investigating the market i'm not ready to kill lou unless we're without a free agent chair on july 10.

not you, you don't come off narcissistic like he does in many situations.

i'm glad you take such an intense interest in me - it fuels my narcissism.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate it, but I can't say that I'm tickled over the length and overall dollars of this deal (at least there isn't a NMC)...not to mention that the guy is pretty much a lock to miss 10 games a year. But it's like others have noted...I'm waiting to see everything Lou does first.

How can people NOT like this deal? White hasn't been the same since the eye injury. And I hope no one expects Mottau to have as good a year as he had last year. He overachieved big time last year, he's a journeyman, nothing more. Martin should have a better year. Rachunek is gone. Vishnevsky was mediocre at best. Greene was bad. Brookbank is not a top 4 either. Salvador is a solid top 4 d-man.

How can people NOT like this deal? White hasn't been the same since the eye injury. And I hope no one expects Mottau to have as good a year as he had last year. He overachieved big time last year, he's a journeyman, nothing more. Martin should have a better year. Rachunek is gone. Vishnevsky was mediocre at best. Greene was bad. Brookbank is not a top 4 either. Salvador is a solid top 4 d-man.

Because its 3m for 4 years for a #5 defensman (ok maybe his a #4 but it made the number scale look pretty). It's not the worse deal in the world, and considering it's not hamstringing Lou like Malakhov's equivilant did its not as painful. Still, I don't like it, this guy is nothing special.

Edited by squishyx

This Salvador deal I hope does not comeback and bite Lou on the ass. He is not worth almost $3M a season. Sorry he is not. I just hope Lou can sign or lure one of these four names to New Jersey (Hossa, Rolston, Sundin, Campbell). I really want to see Hossa here in New Jersey as the Devils need him the most. Then Campbell.

I don't feel ashamed to say Salvador is a 3/4 type defenseman who can pinch in on the first pairing if playing with the right guy. Martin-Salvador wouldn't look ridiculous as a first pairing of defenseman.

I think that's about right.

I don't like he and White together on the same team, particularly, but who knows what we get from Colin? And if Colin is a mess, the market for defensemen next year is even worse.

I don't feel ashamed to say Salvador is a 3/4 type defenseman who can pinch in on the first pairing if playing with the right guy. Martin-Salvador wouldn't look ridiculous as a first pairing of defenseman.

It's ok, I would be ashamed enough for the both of us

This Salvador deal I hope does not comeback and bite Lou on the ass. He is not worth almost $3M a season. Sorry he is not. I just hope Lou can sign or lure one of these four names to New Jersey (Hossa, Rolston, Sundin, Campbell). I really want to see Hossa here in New Jersey as the Devils need him the most. Then Campbell.

Today's my birthday.

Got a new Devs Jersey.

Now I need a mombo trade to complete the deal.

This Salvador deal I hope does not comeback and bite Lou on the ass. He is not worth almost $3M a season. Sorry he is not.

If White is worth 3 million, Salvador is fine at 2.9. This is the kind of player that Lou goes for... a guy who fits the system. He's not going to shove a square peg into a round hole.

Sal didn't have a chance to show what he can do. He was on the top pairing in St. Louis, where he had a +12 this season. Not bad, since St. Louis was pretty bad. The guy was also a fan favorite there, so I have no problem giving him a chance. Lou musta saw something to give him the money.

The guy was also a fan favorite there, so I have no problem giving him a chance. Lou musta saw something to give him the money.

I remember reading a Blues fan forum after the trade, and the fans were pretty unaminous in their thinking that it sucked to lose Sal. It's a miracle if all the fans on this forum can agree on the color of the sky, so for fans on another forum to be in agreement that it sucked to lose a guy should speak volumes.

Salv is the real deal. I don't know what any detractors can have against him. He's defensively reliable, well spoken, and a team player. Everything he has said since he got here, and after the signing has been nothing but gold.

The fact that he was the go-to shutdown guy for Sutter immediately after he was brought in speaks volumes. On the Blues, he was one of two players in the plus, and he was up in the teens.

If people need something to complain about, we have other defensemen making more money who are riddled with worse injury problems.

Solid D-man and at a fair price. I don't like the length of the contract, but it's a good exchange for the no-trade clause. I am also concerned of his injury bug, but we do have a healthy number of defensemen who could play in his spot for 10/12 games per year.

I hate when people look at offensive production for a D-man as that's not his game. Want to see some crappy numbers? Look at Daneyko's career stats. When you're done, look at his 3 Rings.

He'll be our best defensive defenseman, and for that this is a good deal for the Devils.

Now.... on to a puck moving D-Man!

I hate when people look at offensive production for a D-man as that's not his game. Want to see some crappy numbers? Look at Daneyko's career stats. When you're done, look at his 3 Rings.

He'll be our best defensive defenseman, and for that this is a good deal for the Devils.

Something about him reminds me of Dano a little bit. ... Before anyone starts flaming me for saying that, I don't mean his leadership or anything like that, I mean just the way he stays back and concentrates on getting the puck out of the zone. He stays pretty calm. ... Also the way his helmet sits on his head. It kind of looks like Dano :noclue:

OK someone said $3mil is the average D man salary. But he averages 60 games per year, so in my book he makes $4mil per and that is outrageous. Anyone hear if he got his NMC???

OK someone said $3mil is the average D man salary. But he averages 60 games per year, so in my book he makes $4mil per and that is outrageous. Anyone hear if he got his NMC???

No NMC.

The Sal to Dano comparisons aren't completely off base. Both are stay at home guys with limited puck skills who aren't afraid to mix it up and stand up for teammates. Maybe the fact that he's similar to Dano explains why I like the guy so freakin much. :evil:

So many posters here sound like my 85 year old grandmother who still complains every time she visits the grocery store that milk isn't 0.10 cents any more.

Deal with it - its 2008. The people here that think they are going to find a better mid-D man for less than that price are usually the same that scream "bloody murder" when Lou stands pat and does nothing.

He's damned if he does -- or if he doesn't w/this forum.

I'm not one of those who puts Lou on the untouchable pedestal, nor do I agree with every move he makes, but.....Anybody here honestly think from behind their keyboards they could do better than Lou? Get over yourself - he's forgotten more about wheeling and dealing than any of us. For once, at least he recognizes that there are things that needed fixing.

We're bitching about half a million, a year in the contract, or 10 games, meanwhile the Rags just saddled themselves w/ a Redden Albatross - perspective is a real bitch.

All in all, the deals on 7/1/08 may not have been Lou holding gusy at gunpoint for their future, but at least there were no major gaffs.

Lets let the UFA process play out, and let these guys actually play before we condemn them huh?