Salvador signs with NJ

brodeur14301991

If we were going to sign a defensive D man, I'm fine with Salvador over the rest of the market, but Lou didn't get a break on dollars or length here. Salvador isn't worth 2.9 million and he's certainly not worth paying for 4 years.

In a perfect world, you're absolutely right. But again, the market dictates the deals. If Lou didn't give him the years, someone else would have. Lou stuck to his guns in previous years, not bending on dollars or years, and it got us next to nothing on the free agent market. You've gotta give too many years or to many dollars to get anything on this market.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its reasonable

1. Every Team just got $6.4 million to play with this offseason

2. Salvador and Sutter have great chemistry, a lack of it being the problem that has plagued half our defense.

3. Other than White we have no consistent bruisers on the Blueline (VV i assume is gone/at best 7th or 8th dman).

4. I think Salvador is worth at least 3 million for the next two years.

The only point I'll agree with is that if he has a NMC its terrible. If you give a guy like Salvador a NMC you have no flexibility if his contract becomes deadweight in 3 years.

1. Every Team just got $6.4 million to play with this offseason

New Jersey only got some % of 6.4 million, as their salary cap will remain below the NHL's. Defensive defensemen was not one of our primary needs.

2. Salvador and Sutter have great chemistry, a lack of it being the problem that has plagued half our defense.

The defense pairings changed every game until halfway through the season.

3. Other than White we have no consistent bruisers on the Blueline (VV i assume is gone/at best 7th or 8th dman).

VV didn't have to be gone. Now he is.

The only point I'll agree with is that if he has a NMC its terrible. If you give a guy like Salvador a NMC you have no flexibility when his contract becomes deadweight in 3 years.

fixed.

It's possible that my thinking on this has become very uptight - this does move Mottau into the press box or 3rd pairing where he belongs. Greene and Vishnevski are headed elsewhere, hopefully, and hopefully before training camp. There's still room for another defenseman, and who says the Oduya-Martin pairing has to stay together? The problem is that if we do sign another defensemen he bumps Salvador, Oduya, or White to the third pairing which seems absurd (but could be excellent).

Edited by Triumph

With Oduya comming out a little bit like he did last season... I doubt Martin/Oduya stay together.. They were very good together but I would break them up.

Its just disappointing this was the first news of the day.

okay i'm back to cautious optimism. salvador's contract is one that's very good for this year and terrible for the next 3. if lou signs rolston to a 3 year deal and tries to pick up stuart/mara, i will be very happy with the off-season. if lou is able to dispatch some guys for joni pitkanen, i'll be even happier - especially if there's a visnovsky-vishenvski pairing in edmonton.

It's possible that my thinking on this has become very uptight - this does move Mottau into the press box or 3rd pairing where he belongs. Greene and Vishnevski are headed elsewhere, hopefully, and hopefully before training camp. There's still room for another defenseman, and who says the Oduya-Martin pairing has to stay together? The problem is that if we do sign another defensemen he bumps Salvador, Oduya, or White to the third pairing which seems absurd (but could be excellent).

I still want Lou to Sign Redden, and then move Vish

so

Martin/Oduya

Redden/Salvador

White/Mottau

Greene

With Oduya comming out a little bit like he did last season... I doubt Martin/Oduya stay together.. They were very good together but I would break them up.

Its just disappointing this was the first news of the day.

He was the first news on the trade deadline too if you remember.

okay i'm back to cautious optimism. salvador's contract is one that's very good for this year and terrible for the next 3. if lou signs rolston to a 3 year deal and tries to pick up stuart/mara, i will be very happy with the off-season. if lou is able to dispatch some guys for joni pitkanen, i'll be even happier - especially if there's a visnovsky-vishenvski pairing in edmonton.

If we could get Pitkanen... Trade them Vish Greene and a prospect...

and sign mara..

that would be a successful offseason.

Martin/Pitkanen

Oduya/Salvador

Mara/White

That's funny how Lou got a deal with no movement clause. Guess Lou still has it in him somewhere.

I just hope Sally stays healthy since he seems to be a victim to the injury bug, but I guess we have 10 defensemen that can fill his spot.

That's funny how Lou got a deal with no movement clause. Guess Lou still has it in him somewhere.

I just hope Sally stays healthy since he seems to be a victim to the injury bug, but I guess we have 10 defensemen that can fill his spot.

Huh? just because a player wanted one doesn't mean you are a magician to get around it. There are very few NMC clauses given out and probably even more rare for his salary, can anyone think of a player with a NMC making under 3m? cant think of any off the top of my head but there may be a few

you really make me laugh - you're like my wife with the mood swings. i don't like the deal right now - but i've gotta see how everything shakes out today before i make final judgement.

it is funny that triumph thinks his judgement matters in the grand scheme of things. when was the last time you left your parents basement?

it is funny that triumph thinks his judgement matters in the grand scheme of things. when was the last time you left your parents basement?

are you talking to me with the basement comment? does your judgment matter? this whole site is so people can make the judgments and positions and others can comment on them. for someone who clearly has hockey knowledge and a passion for the sport, you post comments that make you look like an infantile troll.

are you talking to me with the basement comment? does your judgment matter? this whole site is so people can make the judgments and positions and others can comment on them. for someone who clearly has hockey knowledge and a passion for the sport, you post comments that make you look like an infantile troll.

not you, you don't come off narcissistic like he does in many situations.