Holik signs with NJ

Jake

This is a solid move.. Someone said it will benefit clarkson and I completely agree...

They might not be Hossa, but thats how the Devils get better.. 2 medium moves is Huge for the devils..

We got PK and PP help... a proven scorer in the Trap System and a Super Face-off guy in holik..

Someone is on there way out and Lou will trade someone to get a defensmen we need.

Its still only the first day.. so something good will happen.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man, Holik is back for a few hours and he's already his brutally honest self. Courtesy of The Incomparable Mr. Gulitti:

"I'll tell you what, fans in New Jersey are somewhat spoiled and I don't mean it in a bad way. They want their team to be successful. There's nothing more important to them and because it's been a great 12-13 years prior to last year. But if I give my best as I always had and make the team better, I think that's all they (want). Yeah, there are going to be people who have opinions. I have opinions, too. So, we all do. And we're all entitled to them. But the bottom line is I'm on that team to make the team better and I believe I can with whatever role they designate for me."

Welcome back, Bobby! If nothing else, the rest of the guys will be happy that the press will be so busy getting quotes from Holik that the rest of them can concentrate on playing hockey.

If Avery signs with the Rangers, Holik will babysit him.

Holik brings something different to the team that no other UFA can. I think he might be a little too pricey, but if he helps the team I will be happy. He has always been a guy who gave it all, and thats all i ask.

WHY LOU.....WHY. Seriously, what does Holik bring to the table?

Faceoffs, agitation, grit, passion and scoring ability.

When your in a division with Crosby, Malkin, Briere, Richards, Carter, Gomez and Drury, Holik is the kind of guy you need.

Its a 1 year deal. Chill.

Zubrus wore #9 and #15 before coming here, so he has no ties to #16....after a sh!tty first season, he may want to change from #16 anyway.....

Well he can't exactly get #9 and #15 either. And I think the people that said Holik's getting #18 are nuts, Brylin's number isn't getting retired but Lou isn't going to pawn it off first chance he gets either. Holik getting #16 and Zubrus taking a #21 or something like that seems likely.

Well he can't exactly get #9 and #15 either. And I think the people that said Holik's getting #18 are nuts, Brylin's number isn't getting retired but Lou isn't going to pawn it off first chance he gets either. Holik getting #16 and Zubrus taking a #21 or something like that seems likely.

Zubes should of had #21 anyway. He will look great in that number, and will likely want to get away from #16.

Tri, as I posted in my comment I would have rather stood pat then make these moves.

(1) Holik is done. Get a fork. Another checker is not what this team needs IMO.

(2) Age

(3) I still don't like our defense.

All this indicates to me is that there is no chance of us moving Marty for young talent and that Lou is going for broke in the next 2-3 years. I think they are stuck in the middle again. These moves don't push the Devils to a top contender. Playoff team yes where I have to admit a hot goalie and a hot scorer can take you far but those are big ifs.

Why do I have the feeling that when Marty retires, Lou will too? At this point this team will have a vacuum of top tier young talent and will be in serious rebuilding mode for a while.

If the options are trashing the team, trading Marty and gutting it out for a few years while we let prospects grow OR signing veteran players and taking another run at the top knowing that in a couple of years this team will be in trouble because of the age of the roster I vote to sign the older players.

Alot of people on this board aren't old enough to remember the days of Muller and Cirella when we flat out sucked and the joy we had when MacLean scored against Chicago just to make the playoffs. Those were dark, "Mickey Mouse" days - no one who remembers those days in their right mind would want to return to them.

We will never have a player as good as Marty, we should do all we can while he is here to try to win it all.

Edited by SC Devs Fan

I'm not reading a thing here -- just saying... :giggle: I never dared to hope. :blush:

You know he's an ass but... the dude is right up my alley - obviously no mistaking I am a fan. but I retract nothing I've ever said about the guy. It's just.. he's a hardworking, lovable a$$hole who most importantly loves hockey.

Im very happy with this signing. Mostly because its for one year so if it doesn't work out we aren't stuck with him or can deal him at the deadline for picks.

Haha! When do we ever deal at the deadline for picks? We're in the playoffs every year. But the point about the one-year deal is a good one.

Overpaid...but pretty brutal. Rupp, Holik and Clarkson? That line rules.

If the Devils use that line as the 4th line next season, which seems like a good chance, I think it would be really effective. Holik is still a pretty good shooter, Clarkson's offense should be growing still, Rupp is a decent passer, and all guys can work the boards well on the forecheck.

If the Devils use that line as the 4th line next season, which seems like a good chance, I think it would be really effective. Holik is still a pretty good shooter, Clarkson's offense should be growing still, Rupp is a decent passer, and all guys can work the boards well on the forecheck.

Crash line circa 2008?

Crash line circa 2008?

Yeah, that could be a high energy line for sure. A very effective unit along the boards that should create some decent scoring chances.