Report: NHL closer to outdoor game in Chicago

insanity_gallops

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242711&amp...os=secStory_nhl

The NHL has said that an official announcement likely won't be made until closer to the time the 2008-09 season schedule is released, likely in mid-July.

However, the report states that an announcement is expected next week before the inaugural "Blackhawks Convention" at the Chicago Hilton.

why isn't the game to be played at Soldier Field, a rectangular shaped football stadium ?

I guess they couldn't work it out with the possible football games at Soldier

Instead it will be at a Baseball stadium, and many fans will be far from the action.

unless the build temporary seats that are closer to the action.

plus Wrigley is likely much smaller than Soldier, so there will be less in attendance.

Oh well. If they get ratings from it then it will be a positive.

why isn't the game to be played at Soldier Field, a rectangular shaped football stadium ?

I guess they couldn't work it out with the possible football games at Soldier

Instead it will be at a Baseball stadium, and many fans will be far from the action.

unless the build temporary seats that are closer to the action.

plus Wrigley is likely much smaller than Soldier, so there will be less in attendance.

Oh well. If they get ratings from it then it will be a positive.

First off this game is about TV not attendance. Wrigley is more famous plus with the lack of scheduling conflicts with it it gets the nod.

Second of all as far a closeness gos Wrigley may be better. Yes Soldier is rectangular but the seats would be far away from the rink in all directions. At Wrigley the rink would be in the infield and go from home plate out to center field. So while it may be far in the bleachers mast of the other seats will have a good view as baseball stadiums are designed around watching the action in the infield.

my only beef with baseball stadiums is that there are seats located at field level.

those seats are 100% worthless due to the boards.

at any hockey arena, it is difficult if not impossible to see the puck when it is on the boards on the side youre sitting, however, with most football stadiums, the first row of seats is *usually* situated way above the field so people in the first few rows can see over all the players and coaches on their respective sideline.

that height at least allows people in the first few rows to see THE OTHER SIDE of the ice.

Poor Al Trautwig. He jumped the gun.

Having the game in Chicago makes more sense than in NYC. I think Jan 1 in NYC is a serious gamble. I think it was in the 60's in 2005.

Temperature shouldn't be much of a problem. I remember them saying last year how the league's ice guru once helped make an outdoor sheet of ice in Egypt for an ice show. I think they can make ice upwards to like 80 degrees. Yea it would be odd being 60 degrees out and going to an outdoor hockey game but with todays technology it's possible.

psshh yankee or shea stadium devs/rags game would top all!

Should be at Shea since Yankees Stadium is getting all the publicity for closing down and plus they get the MLB ASG.. Shea is closing too and its being ignored pretty much

The NHL is better served to wait for either the new Yankee Stadium or Citi Field to be built before holding this game in the metro area. I like the fact that its on New Years Day and the lack of meaningful bowl games before 6 p.m. gives the NHL a nice daytime window to play the game in and get near-exclusive coverage. The problem with the New Years Day choice is NFL stadium avalibility. The NHL lucked out with Buffalo since the Bills were not likely to host an NFL playoff game with the Patriots in their division, however, the entire NFC Central is capible of winning that division putting Soldier Field at risk, the Giants are capible of winning the NFC East taking Giants Stadium off the table, and the same with the Patriots in Foxboro. The Eagles and Steelers are also capiable of hosting playoff games.

So this leads us to baseball stadiums where as mentioned before the first 6 rows will stink for sightlines but the game is made for TV anyway.

So we're left with baseball stadiums:

Chicago: Wrigley & U.S. Cellular

New York: New Yankee & Citi Field

Detroit: Commerica

Boston: Fenway

Pittsburgh: PNC Park

Philadelphia: Citizens Bank Park

Toronto: Rogers Centre

Washington: Nationals Park (stretching it)

St. Louis: New Busch Stadium (stretching it)

Some of these locations tend to be more predictable with weather than others. I've spent New Years in Boston when its been 5 degrees/snowing and when its been 55/sunny.

What would I like to see? A double header at the new Yankee Stadium since we all know both the Devils and Islanders won't get a sniff nationally have that be the undercard on Versus prior to a Rangers-Penguins/Flyers/Detriot/Montreal/Chicago game on NBC.

I realize that the NHL hasn't made an official announcement, but ESPN was reporting it like it will 100% take place. I don't know if that was just speculation by ESPN, or they had some inside information, so I'm wondering if the NHL has confirmed that this game will take place.