Nolan Out as Isles Coach

Devil Dan 56

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Islanders really have to be one of the biggest jokes in sports right now.

The image included in that article says just about everything: the two younger guys flanking Nolan have a face of disbelief. The two guys with the shaved heads look embarrassed to be there. And the guy cut off to the left is checking the time to see how much longer he has to stay at the game.

:blink:

the one saving grace the Islanders have is saying they could play for this guy who WILL get the most out of them

Can they just please disband the franchise and stop everyone's pain ????

I thought Nolan was annoying and I didn't appreciate it when he complained about the style NJ plays when, in fact, he has his team play pretty much the same style, at least against NJ - if he finds the games boring, that's his problem, don't have your team play that way.

However, I would think he was the least of the team's problems, although I understand there was some disagreement between management and Nolan about playing vets vs kids and Nolan was trying to win games by playing vets, which isn't unusual. He was probably told two things he couldn't reconcile, you have to win and you have to develop the kids, which, with the injuries they had, wasn't going to happen. The one thing I will say is that he is known for developing loyalty among his veteran players and there signs of disconent from them, even as he was playing them, but that could just be the injuries and the losing - and that's not him, really.

Nolan has done a nice job with the Isles. They've done nothing but overachieve. The team has no talent but played hard for him and never quit.

The problem is clueless Charles Wang. Snow is not at fault, he just takes marching orders from crazy Mr. Wang.

I think he was mad cause DP doesn't have a wife. :whistling:

:blink::rimshot:

Not suprising that Nolan is out of the NYI coaching job. The team was just horrible under him. They did overachieve with what they had, but needed more talent on that team and leadership.

Edited by SatansDevils

Suprised there hasn't been any cries of discrimination from him yet...that may not work on the Island though

I agree with Nolan on this one.

There had been a growing rift between Nolan and Snow throughout last season when the Islanders failed to make the playoffs. Snow said he felt the team was underachieving, while Nolan countered that he lacked adequate personnel.

I would think most people would agree that the team was heavily overachieving for the last two years.

Edited by devilsrule33

The Isles are a franchise in disrepair. They cling tenaciously to a 25-year old dynasty, and they've used a 'throw it against the wall and see what sticks' approach for the last 15 years. EVERY season they have at least 2 games that are 'Hey, remember when we were good' nights where they find some excuse to drag the past back out.

They really don't seem to have any kind of plan at all, its mind boggling. Say what you will about Lou, but its clear that there are certain things he does and doesn't want in Jersey.

The best part of all of this, though, is that 2 of my buddies just bought season tickets for not only ALL of 2008-09, but 2009-10 as well.

"My ROFLCopter goes swa swa swa swa."

Contrast the quotes from Snow with what I suspect Lou would have said if this was a story about the Devils:

Describing the reasons for making a coaching change, Snow said, "There were philosophical differences between Ted and myself. Since last season and continuing into the summer, I have realized we don't share the same philosophies. I'd like to thank Ted for his two years with the team and wish him the best."

Lou would say "We felt that making a coaching change at this time is the right move for the New Jersey Devils in bringing us the Stanley Cup."

Asked why it took three months since the end of the season to reach this conclusion, Snow said, "That's a fair question. This has been a difficult decision for both Ted and myself, especially for me because of Charles Wang's desire to give Ted the opportunity to coach in the NHL and because of his loyalty to those he hires.

"I understand there could be some criticism, and if there is, it can fall on me. What I can tell you is there was a process. I spoke with Ted regularly following the season and when the draft and free agency ended. Our strong belief about our philosophical differences led me to believe, and Ted as well, that we needed to part ways. I know this decision will be best for not only the team and our fans, but for Ted as well."

Lou would say "We've made a move that gives our team the best chance for improving. The team was not performing as we would like and we have taken steps to change that."

The hiring of Snow as GM has to be one of the poorest management decisions of any owner in the NHL. Tough to be an Isles fan.

The Islanders have been rotten because:

1. The good picks that they do make they deal

2. The picks they do not move (Example: $cott $ci$$on$) turn out to be disasters.

Until the Islanders understand the concept of the draft, they will muddle towards the bottom of the conference for the foreseeable future.

Edited by LOTCB

The hiring of Snow as GM has to be one of the poorest management decisions of any owner in the NHL. Tough to be an Isles fan.

Why, because he was honest rather than just saying "I made a decision, there's nothing else you need to know, go home"?