Offseason Report Card: Atlantic Division

Jake

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10897589

New Jersey Devils: The Devils have been one of the NHL's best regular-season teams since the lockout ended by using a familiar formula of strong defense and great goaltending by Martin Brodeur. But that hasn't led to any real success in the postseason, in which the Devils have yet to advance beyond the second round. Last season, the Devils didn't even get that far, largely because the inability to produce offense continues to be their Achilles' heel. Improving that situation is the Devils' major goal this offseason, and New Jersey's biggest move so far, signing versatile high-scoring forward Brian Rolston to a rich free-agent contract, is a step in that direction. New Jersey has also repatriated Bobby Holik, a big center with a mean streak who might still have enough gas left in the tank at age 37 to be an effective shutdown guy. Overall, though, the Devils don't look any better than they did last season, while several of their rivals do. Grade: C+

Sooo... we make two good signings, but somehow don't look any better than last season? :blink:

yeah the rangers flyers and penguins all had stellar offseasons

i have no idea how anyone could claim this with a straight face. the flyers sold off umberger, lost jason smith, and added no one of note, unless you count arron asham. okay so no one of note. they'll probably be better this season but not by virtue of their off-season.

the rangers totally changed a team that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs, they lost jagr straka, possibly shanahan, avery, tyutin and backman, they added zherdev, naslund, redden, fritsche - no idea how that can be looked at as an upgrade to any sane person.

and the penguins lost hossa, ruutu, laraque, roberts, malone, etc. and added who? satan and fedotenko.

Edited by Triumph

So everyone but the Islanders has a better offseason in division? The Devils lost nobody of note, added 1 good player for a full season, added a really good player, and have young guys pushing for spots but that is only slightly better than mediocre? I don't understand how the writer can come to that conclusion.

But this makes total sense:

In the meantime, the Penguins did an impressive job filling their other voids with forwards Miroslav Satan, Ruslan Fedotenko and Matt Cooke, and they saved themselves a fair amount of money as well. Grade: A-

:blink:

i have no idea how anyone could claim this with a straight face. the flyers sold off umberger, lost jason smith, and added no one of note, unless you count arron asham. okay so no one of note. they'll probably be better this season but not by virtue of their off-season.

the rangers totally changed a team that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs, they lost jagr straka, possibly shanahan, avery, tyutin and backman, they added zherdev, naslund, redden, fritsche - no idea how that can be looked at as an upgrade to any sane person.

and the penguins lost hossa, ruutu, laraque, roberts, malone, etc. and added who? satan and fedotenko.

Dead on.

Islanders < Devils < Rangers < Flyers < Penguins

if we rank by playoffs thats how it goes

in the mean time tell Wes Goldstein, the author of this crappy piece of sh!t ur opinion

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/writers/goldstein

Ha, I've written Goldstein before. Not a very fruitful venture.

i like how the guy gives the flyers credit for standing pat but new jersey picks up the player that HAD TO BE their #1 targeted forward and they get a C+.

here's my grades:

New Jersey Devils - B

Philadelphia Flyers - B

Pittsburgh Penguins - C+

New York Rangers - C

New York Islanders - F

So everyone but the Islanders has a better offseason in division? The Devils lost nobody of note, added 1 good player for a full season, added a really good player, and have young guys pushing for spots but that is only slightly better than mediocre? I don't understand how the writer can come to that conclusion.

But this makes total sense:

:blink:

Totally assanine by cbssportsline!!!! I am all for playing the role of the underdog, and we all know the Devils do it as good as anybody, but to say they are no better?? Who did we lose?? Brylin?? And you tell me that adding Rolston, and Holik dont make us better than losing Brylin?? Not to mention having hopefully a healthy Salvadore for the entire season... Just goes to show how biased the national media is towards the "boring trapping Devils of Lemaire!!!!"

Oh wait Lemaire doesnt coach here anymore :noclue:

Did anybody bother "giving feedback" to Mr. Goldstein?? There is a link at the top of the article to give him some feedback. I certainly did, the man obviously needed some constructive criticism, and I tried (probably in vain) to give him a few lessons on the game of hockey as well. We will see if he has the courage to respond. I told him that the idea of being a responsible journalist is to report things from an "un biased" perspective, and looking at his article it was anything but unbiased. I mean really to give the Penguins an A??? God if that isnt ridiculous enough. They lost probably their best Playoff performer in Hossa, Malone who was alot of their heart and sole, their toughness in LaRoque, and even Roberts who played a part in their Regular Season success, and they signed who??? Fedotenko?? Orpik?? even Satan?? come on and they get an A???

Horrible!!

Concerning the review of the Rangers, how can a review containing the phrases, "returns the team to the days when it threw big free-agent money at veteran players who often seemed like their best days were behind them" and "potential chemistry problems" warrant the team getting a B-...

Also, Philly should get an Incomplete as they really didn't sign anybody of note. Personally, I think that was a good move for them but they shouldn't be involved in any offseason rankings.

Well this article is moronic.

Personally, I think the Rangers had the best Offseason, then the Devils, but I can see how it's very easy to say the Devils had the best off-season since they lost absolutely no players and just added talent (they aren't done yet it appears as well). I think the Rangers were a team out of sync all of last year and I think by shedding a lot of the old players they can play more cohesively, but I guess I'm alone in that assessment (I do feel that losing Avery was a huge blow though.)

The Devils have some nice players but I can't see this team competing for a cup yet. I can see the Rangers doing it, and I think they are better positioned for it this year than last year. Of course, the Devils are clearly a better team than last year, and have a better shot than they did last year, but if I were forced to I'd say the Rangers are more likely at this point to win it all.

The Pens had an awful offseason, and the Flyers had a pretty solid one turning Umberger into some draft picks and figuring out how to keep Carter. Islanders did nothing.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Agreed...I'm not sure how the others have improved. I actually think with the additions Lou made, the Devils made among the biggest improvement of all teams.

i like how the guy gives the flyers credit for standing pat but new jersey picks up the player that HAD TO BE their #1 targeted forward and they get a C+.

here's my grades:

New Jersey Devils - B

Philadelphia Flyers - B

Pittsburgh Penguins - C+

New York Rangers - C

New York Islanders - F

How do the Flyers get a B? I'd say we did much better than them.. Who did they even acquire besides Asham and lose Umberger?

AMEN

To say we get a C+ is dumb. We didn't lose anyone of our CORE players and added one of the TOP FAs 16 other teams were bidding for. Holik is a throw in, but he still upgrades our 4th line center + depth at checking center + faceoffs.

IMO, LOU has added Rolston, Holik, Salvador, Anissi Salmela(I think he will suprise us).

We lost Brylin and Asham.

I say we get a SOLID B at least.

C+ goes to the Islanders, Penguins(Who lost a ton of depth and character).

Rangers get a B- because IMO, Avery was the heart and soul of that team, and Jagr was still a force. They wanted ot get younger, but at what price!

the flyers didn't acquire anyone, but they didn't lose anyone of note, and getting a healthy gagne + improvement by coburn, carter, richards, and their younger players gives them a B.

no idea how the rangers' off-season ranks well. they added 3 of the softest players in the NHL. they lost jagr, who despite his struggles last year, is a dominant performer. it was obvious the rangers were going to sign a top 5 free agent (hossa, campbell, redden, rolston, x), but they signed arguably the worst one. anyway, let's see how these lines compare:

naslund-gomez-zherdev

dawes-drury-callahan

sjostrom-dubinsky-prucha

voros-betts-rissmiller

redden-staal

roszival-girardi

mara-kalinin

is better than

avery-dubinsky-jagr

straka-drury-shanahan

dawes-gomez-callahan

sjostrom-betts-orr

rozsival-staal

girardi-tyutin

mara-backman

zherdev for jagr is a large dropoff. naslund is 'better' than straka, the man who he's supposed to replace - but it remains to be seen if he is washed up or not - he could be only a slight upgrade over straka. dawes is probably an upgrade over shanahan, but there's a dearth of legitimate 3rd line forwards. the rangers' backline is slightly better - that's if redden returns to form; hockey analytics rates him as worse than fedor tyutin last season. kalinin for backman is a wash - they are both soft euros with supposed offensive upsides. i sincerely thought the rangers would land either campbell or hossa and they did neither - they are gambling with wade redden when i'm not so sure they had to (new jersey had to, had they wanted to land in the big fish sweepstakes).

perhaps the collective improvement of girardi/lundqvist/staal/dubinsky/callahan/dawes/zherdev offsets all the losses - but i expect staal to take a bit of a dive from last season, and zherdev too. callahan's the only one i expect to significantly improve. throw in the fact that dubinsky and callahan are the only ones with any physical ability on that new rangers forward lineup outside the 4th line, and that no one is particularly physical on the rangers' backline - i feel like the devils have really improved relative to the rangers this off-season. the rangers improved relative to pittsburgh.

all i know is drop the puck already.

Edited by Triumph