thelastonealive

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty - 68 GP

Weekes - 14 GP

Ideal.

Do us a favor and keep track of this. I'd love to see how it actually shakes out. Thanks.

Two observations:

1) Home game on my birthday? Suh-weet. Unfortunately, the last time I saw the Devils play this team at home (a few seasons back) Marty had a "great" game giving up 3 goals on 4 shots.

2) If the NHL was trying to tap into the local Czech hockey-following crowd by scheduling the Rangers to play there in one of the season-openers, they've gotta be cursing a bit now. Prucha and Roszival are all that are left from the "Czech-mate" Rangers club. Tampa does have Prospal, Vrbata, and Kuba, though.

It isn't just the back-to-backs, its the 3 in 4 nights. If Brodeur is playing in all of those - certainly the ones early in the season, that makes no sense, and come March / April you guys will be singing the same old song. Honestly, aren't you guys tired of that?

Torre did this better than any other mgr/coach, etc. He would lose a game to win a war - Sutter needs to do the exact same thing early this season.

Every year there was a time when he was using Rivera too much, until he got to a point where he would not use Rivera to bail the Yanks out. Either he would make the bullpen get to the 9th, or just not use him for a game. If Sutter does that early - and if it means blowing a game or two in Oct/Nov, so-be-it, I really think the Devils will be better off in the long-run.

This basically means Weekes should start 2 of the 9 in Oct - how the team is playing be dammed.

I disagree. Torre was the worst at it. He would consistently over use relievers. Tanyon Sturtze? Scott Proctor? Luis Vizcaino? Jeff Nelson? Torre was famous for overusing guys. This is why they had crazy "Joba Rules" last year. It is one of the reasons I am glad he is gone.

And the "Marty plays too much" is a cop out. The bottom line is the team didn't score enough. He gave up 3-2-3-4-4 goals this playoffs and last year against Ottawa he gave up 5-2-2-3-3.

68 / 14 would be about as good as it could get.

Of all the games in Oct/Nov - Nov. 9 Edmonton, that is one you can take to the bank! That game has Weekes all over it.

Also, having Weekes go in game 4 at Atlanta is perfect. Ideally you do not want Marty playing 3 in 4 nights, however game 3 being at MSG changes the rules. In the past Marty would have not only played the first 3 but the fourth as well, but having him go against Atlanta makes a ton of sense. No joke, that will be a key early on. If they are actually serious about having him not start 75 games this year, you will see it then.

I disagree. Torre was the worst at it. He would consistently over use relievers. Tanyon Sturtze? Scott Proctor? Luis Vizcaino? Jeff Nelson? Torre was famous for overusing guys. This is why they had crazy "Joba Rules" last year. It is one of the reasons I am glad he is gone.

And the "Marty plays too much" is a cop out. The bottom line is the team didn't score enough. He gave up 3-2-3-4-4 goals this playoffs and last year against Ottawa he gave up 5-2-2-3-3.

how is that a cop out? the devils' record when they give up 3 goals is terrible.

brodeur's usage will of course rely on the devils' record. and if the devils are doing well, they will have to keep playing marty because they are on a roll, and if they're doing poorly, they can't switch to weekes when he gives them a lesser chance of winning a particular game.

Edited by Triumph

Over/Under on attendance on Oilers/Devils Sunday Night November 9th?...The GIants play the Eagles on Sunday Night Football that night....

WHO makes these fvcking schedules?

The NHL clearly still has their head up their ass as a couple of non-Devils schedule gems:

-Bruins opening night vs. Pittsburgh the same night the Patriots host Denver on Monday Night Football

-Oilers host Nashville during the Super Bowl.

by the way i am sure the devils are happy with this schedule, although the friday home dates are probably upsetting. they figure they get divisional rivals early in the season when they can possibly sell those games out, and at the end of the season, they can possibly sell out these games against the wild and hurricanes, whereas they'd have no prayer of doing so before.

Wed Oct 22, 2008

Stars @Devils 7:00 PM ET

YES, I am def going to this game Avery vs. Holik. Believe me this game will be a very fisty game. i would like to see Brodeur's reaction if Avery parks himself in front of the net. This isn't a playoff game and we will go after him.

Remember folks, the Devils sold 16,000 tickets to a game vs. Toronto that was DURING THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

ESPN.com even came and did a story about who actually was going to this game.

Not everybody's a Giants fan. Though I am, but that isn't the point.

By the way, 2 NBC appearances are possible (and almost probable) for NJ. Look for that March 1 Flyer game and the March 22 Bruin game to get a look from the Peacock.

Wed Oct 22, 2008

YES, I am def going to this game Avery vs. Holik. Believe me this game will be a very fisty game. i would like to see Brodeur's reaction if Avery parks himself in front of the net. This isn't a playoff game and we will go after him.

haha i was JUST thinking that

Holik will be worth every penny if he just LEVELS Avery as he stands in front of Marty... BAM!!! *Avery to the ice*

this season is looking better and better... and an awesome schedule . I'm looking forward to the blackhawks games too, those are gonna be fun

The NHL clearly still has their head up their ass as a couple of non-Devils schedule gems:

-Bruins opening night vs. Pittsburgh the same night the Patriots host Denver on Monday Night Football

-Oilers host Nashville during the Super Bowl.

Yeah in Canada. Something tells me that game will still draw well. If it was in Nashville you would have a point.

How is that a cop out? the devils' record when they give up 3 goals is terrible.

Of course, because they scored the third fewest goals in the league last year. I blame the lack of offense before I blame Brodeur. When you need your goalie to give up 2 goals or fewer every game to have a realistic chance to win maybe the problem isn't your goalie.

Fri Oct 10, 2008

Islanders @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Mon Oct 13, 2008

Devils @Rangers 7:00 PM ET

Wed Oct 22, 2008

Sat Oct 25, 2008

Devils @Flyers 7:00 PM ET

Wed Nov 5, 2008

Lightning @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Sat Nov 8, 2008

Devils @Red Wings 7:00 PM ET

Wed Nov 12, 2008

Rangers @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Wed Dec 10, 2008

Penguins @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Fri Dec 12, 2008

Rangers @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Sun Dec 21, 2008

Flyers @Devils 1:00 PM ET

Sun Jan 4, 2009

Senators @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Tue Feb 3, 2009

Capitals @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Sun Feb 15, 2009

Sharks @Devils 1:00 PM ET

Sun Mar 1, 2009

Flyers @Devils 1:00 PM ET

Tue Mar 10, 2009

Flames @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Fri Mar 20, 2009

Wild @Devils 7:00 PM ET

Mon Mar 23, 2009

Devils @Flyers 7:00 PM ET

Fri Apr 3, 2009

Lightning @Devils 7:00 PM ET

I think I am going to go to most of theses. Better reserve those games. Looking forward to Blackhawks and seeing Mullet and the Lightning.

Edited by JerseyRupp

On a Wednesday?

Possibly Rowdy. :noclue:

Why then for the 7:30 p.m. start vs. the Leafs? The only thing I can think of.

GO DEVILS :koolaid: , fvck up the rangers this year boys

The NYR really have a ridiculious schedule in the beginning of the season playing overseas. Good! Maybe it will screw them up for a while with the time zones. :P

After the two in Czech land...7 in 11 nights.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 Blackhawks Rangers

Sat Oct 11, 2008 Rangers Flyers

Mon Oct 13, 2008 Devils Rangers

Wed Oct 15, 2008 Sabres Rangers

Fri Oct 17, 2008 Maple Leafs Rangers

Sat Oct 18, 2008 Rangers Red Wings

Mon Oct 20, 2008 Stars Rangers

First 9 are going to be interesting for the Rangers, if they get 9 or 10 pts that would be impressive.

After the two in Czech land...7 in 11 nights.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 Blackhawks Rangers

Sat Oct 11, 2008 Rangers Flyers

Mon Oct 13, 2008 Devils Rangers

Wed Oct 15, 2008 Sabres Rangers

Fri Oct 17, 2008 Maple Leafs Rangers

Sat Oct 18, 2008 Rangers Red Wings

Mon Oct 20, 2008 Stars Rangers

First 9 are going to be interesting for the Rangers, if they get 9 or 10 pts that would be impressive.

Like I said bg. It will be tough start for the NYR and hope they suffer. :evil:

I think I am going to go to most of theses. Better reserve those games. Looking forward to Blackhawks and seeing Mullet and the Lightning.

I forgot about the mullet! Gotta sport the green mullet wig when he comes to town!!

Sat Jan 10, 2009

Devils @Kings 10:30 PM ET

If any Devils fans here are going to that let me know...perhap$ LOTCB will make an appearence to meet any West Coast Devils fans :o

I'm strongly considering making the trip for that and Anaheim since my planned Minnesota trip is out the window...

FOR SURE.

I'll be doing whatever I can in the coming days or weeks (or WEEKES) to get the closest seats to the Devils Bench.

Between LA and ANA it should be a nice Devils week.