Things you can't stand at a hockey game

spyro

Whatever Rowdy, you're way off base. It's not a matter of laziness, I clean up after myself quite well thank you.

I just don't see why I should do SOMEONE ELSES JOB. What is so hard to understand about that?

---

You know, I'm gonna bring that restaurant analogy back but a little different. When you enter a restaurant, do you pick up the menus and silverware as you go in or do you let the hostess/waitress do it? When you are done ordering, do you put the menus back near the entrance instead of letting the waitress do it? If the soda fountain is outside the kitchen, do you get your own drinks? When you leave, do you wipe off the table or do you let the busboy do it? How about the bill? These are all things you can do which are not in restricted areas, but do you do them? If not, why not?

Once again all of those things involve going out of your way whereas taking your garbage with you on the way out does not.

NZT, I did change my analogy about taking the plates in since they may be in restricted area. To be honest, I do do what you described, consolidate the plates or hand them to the waitress when I'm done so she doesn't have to pick them up. I am, however, a generous tipper, so not like I leave a mess and a small tip. I make it worth their while.

The thing is, the guy picking up the garbage in the arena is going to make his way row by row anyway looking for anything, even lost and found items as one said. The guy will be armed with a trash bag so it's not like he has to go out of his way to pick up that trash. Is tossing it out yourself a good gesture? Sure, but that guy will still has to travel that path, it doesn't give him a longer coffee break or lets him go home early.

Leaving your tray behind has NOTHING to do with laziness or "tolerance of filth" as some call it. In the end, the man is just doing his job. You want to do his job for him? Go right ahead, never said anything is wrong with that, but if I want to let him do his job then don't call me lazy, it has nothing to do with it.

If it's not laziness then what is it? I doubt you seriously leave your garbage behind to prevent someone from getting laid off.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again all of those things involve going out of your way whereas taking your garbage with you on the way out does not.

If it's not laziness then what is it? I doubt you seriously leave your garbage behind to prevent someone from getting laid off.

I ask again then, you only throw out your tray because it's convenient? If the trash cans were not in your path to the exit you wouldn't do it? Now who's lazy? Oh and menus and silverware are on the way in to the restaurant, not out of the way. The other things, maybe.

No, I don't not do it to save someones job. Just because I leave something behind for someone else to pick up (whose job it is to do so) doesn't make me lazy. If i didn't throw my trash out at a McDonald's then yah, you can call me lazy.

I ask again then, you only throw out your tray because it's convenient? If the trash cans were not in your path to the exit you wouldn't do it? Now who's lazy? Oh and menus and silverware are on the way in to the restaurant, not out of the way. The other things, maybe.

No, I don't not do it to save someones job. Just because I leave something behind for someone else to pick up (whose job it is to do so) doesn't make me lazy. If i didn't throw my trash out at a McDonald's then yah, you can call me lazy.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there is no reason for a person not to (unless he is seriously concerned about the guy's job) since it doesn't require anything extra from you.

And if it's not laziness, and you're not genuinely concerned with the guy's job, then what is it. Sounds to me like you're saying you don't do it because you know someone else will. That sounds a little lazy to me.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there is no reason for a person not to (unless he is seriously concerned about the guy's job) since it doesn't require anything extra from you.

And if it's not laziness, and you're not genuinely concerned with the guy's job, then what is it. Sounds to me like you're saying you don't do it because you know someone else will. That sounds a little lazy to me.

But why should I do someone elses job? That's what I'm getting at here. You yourself said you do it as a good gesture to whoever is supposed to be picking it up. Not doing someone elses job doesn't make me lazy.

Rob's just bitter that his crappy job keeps him from good times at Maplewood hockey :P

I don't take my trash out in a movie theater either... I consider it a service that comes with the $35 it costs for two tickets soda and popcorn!!!

And there Sammy goes again, acting like his unwillingness to clean up after himself is actually saving some poor schmuck's job. Un-friggin'-believable. Again, it's a crying shame that some people are so defensive about living like pigs that they make up these convoluted excuses as to why their laziness and tolerance of filth is somehow a good thing.

I purposely spill my soda at the movies so someone can earn an extra buck. :rolleyes:

But why should I do someone elses job? That's what I'm getting at here. You yourself said you do it as a good gesture to whoever is supposed to be picking it up. Not doing someone elses job doesn't make me lazy.

I always wonder why you only have a picture of the outside of your house :P

That is my absolute biggest pet peeve.

That used to be mine, but I understand there are times people have to leave early - after all, they paid their money, they can leave when they want (or choose to litter if they want :boogie: ). There were times I had to get up ludicrously early and I balanced the last 5 minutes of a game vs. all the time I was going to be stuck in traffic that I could have been sleeping. Did it make me less of a fan? Maybe... but at least I was there and I am sure my abscence had no effect on the Devils effort.

Well I guess this is where we reach a stand-off. You say it's not lazy because it's someone else's job so why should you have to do it. I say it is lazy because it requires no extra effort at all so there is no reason why you can't do it.

Rob's just bitter that his crappy job keeps him from good times at Maplewood hockey :P

I don't take my trash out in a movie theater either... I consider it a service that comes with the $35 it costs for two tickets soda and popcorn!!!

Hey if it weren't for my crappy jobs, I wouldn't be able to afford driving there anymore.

That used to be mine, but I understand there are times people have to leave early - after all, they paid their money, they can leave when they want (or choose to litter if they want :boogie: ). There were times I had to get up ludicrously early and I balanced the last 5 minutes of a game vs. all the time I was going to be stuck in traffic that I could have been sleeping. Did it make me less of a fan? Maybe... but at least I was there and I am sure my abscence had no effect on the Devils effort.

I think that when you pay for your ticket, you are paying for the whole game, so if you leave early you aren't getting your money's worth.

My uncle is the worst at this, we went to the last Jets game of the season last year, and we left at halftime. I couldn't believe we drove there to watch the first half, then drove home to see the end of the game on TV. I thought it was a big waste of money, at least I didn't have to pay. I used to go to Devils games with him before I started driving. We were at the banner-raising game in 2004. He kept bugging me to leave early, but I kept telling him they were only down by one and they can come back. Sure enough they tied it (I think Brylin or Rafalski) with like two seconds left.

I think that when you pay for your ticket, you are paying for the whole game, so if you leave early you aren't getting your money's worth.

I agree 100%; for me it was going to see 90% of the game or not going at all. And I always hated it when I didn't have to leave but the ride (ie designated driver) wanted to leave early!

Well I guess this is where we reach a stand-off. You say it's not lazy because it's someone else's job so why should you have to do it. I say it is lazy because it requires no extra effort at all so there is no reason why you can't do it.

Hey, I've said it before in this thread, I do pick it up sometimes but I don't feel any obligation to do so. I don't worry about it if I don't do it. Even you're doing it because it's easy and convenient. I suppose that means you wouldn't do it if the garbage can was out of the way, wouldn't that be lazy on your part then?

Hey, I've said it before in this thread, I do pick it up sometimes but I don't feel any obligation to do so. I don't worry about it if I don't do it. Even you're doing it because it's easy and convenient. I suppose that means you wouldn't do it if the garbage can was out of the way, wouldn't that be lazy on your part then?

I don't know I might or I might not. Of course there would be less people doing it if they had to go out of their way, but since you don't have to go out of your way, it is such a simple task that I don't see a reason not to throw your garbage out.

Edited by devilsfan26

I think I'm with Crasher on this one, which related to this post. You paid your money, part of the ticket is the offer to clean up your junk if you wish, sometimes you use that service, sometimes you don't, but it's certainly part of the teams offer to you when you purchase your ticket.

I think I'm with Crasher on this one, which related to this post. You paid your money, part of the ticket is the offer to clean up your junk if you wish, sometimes you use that service, sometimes you don't, but it's certainly part of the teams offer to you when you purchase your ticket.

Exactly! If I choose to take them up on the offer doesn't make me lazy either!

So wait, if those aren't essential then what is?

Paper plates, cups, utensils, toilet paper, etc... :P

The only reason the other stuff isn't essential is because I've already watched all those DVDs and the computer parts are spares.

Paper plates, styro foam cups, plastic utensils, toilet paper, old etc... :P

The only reason the other stuff isn't essential is because I've already watched all those DVDs and the computer parts are spares.

So the good china is unpacked