horrible news via njo

I think he gets sick behind the bench.. he always ends up behind the bench and then leaves..

This was sorta hinted in the pictures of the Devils' rookie camp. They had Jonny Mac/Tommy Albelin running the show.

I dont think this will effect any of our experienced defenseman.. i wonder how Corrente/younger d-men will be now without being coached under Robinson

Edited by nmigliore

He probably needs to recharge his batteries. The guy's been behind a bench seemingly forever, without taking too much time off, and we know how much he puts into it.

But the bottom line is. If he's a "roving instructor", I'd like to know what that means. Is larry moving pack to florida full time? Or is it a thing where he'll only be at home practices in New Jersey?

I really hope that he at least sticks around for practices in NJ to help out the younger D-men. If our young players could be even half as good as Robinson was, that would be a huge plus.

Edited by devils26
it's a loss, but not a big loss.

I like Robinson a whole lot more as a tutor for our young guys than Albelin. Nothing against Tommy, but those are some massive shoes to fill. A lot of us around here gave much credit to Larry for turning Oduya around last season ... whether it's fully deserved or not we'll probably never know, but still.

But this makes me wonder ... were the pieces set in motion for this move the second Albelin was hired? Like Larry only came back in the first place if there was a replacement plan in place, last season was a year for Tommy to observe, and now Larry can go back to the less stressful life of not being a coach.

I like Robinson a whole lot more as a tutor for our young guys than Albelin. Nothing against Tommy, but those are some massive shoes to fill. A lot of us around here gave much credit to Larry for turning Oduya around last season ... whether it's fully deserved or not we'll probably never know, but still.

But this makes me wonder ... were the pieces set in motion for this move the second Albelin was hired? Like Larry only came back in the first place if there was a replacement plan in place, last season was a year for Tommy to observe, and now Larry can go back to the less stressful life of not being a coach.

TG is saying that as the SAC Robinson spends most of his time helping instruct the Lowell defenseman. So Larry probably gets more time for himself, which might be good since he has physically made himself sick coaching before, but he still gets to mold and impart defensive knowledge.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/07...hind_bench.html

From the same article:

In the prospects scrimmage, center Adam Henrique (4th pick, 82nd overall in 2008) centered a line with Fedor Fedorov. He had to leave for a short time after getting hit in the nose during a center ice collision. But Henrique (5-11, 185) returned and scored the winning goal in a shootout.
I think he gets sick behind the bench.. he always ends up behind the bench and then leaves..

This was sorta hinted in the pictures of the Devils' rookie camp. They had Jonny Mac/Tommy Albelin running the show.

I dont think this will effect any of our experienced defenseman.. i wonder how Corrente/younger d-men will be now without being coached under Robinson

Will Scott Stevens play a bigger role?

I saw him in Lou's box at every home game last season.

:dance:

TG is saying that as the SAC Robinson spends most of his time helping instruct the Lowell defenseman. So Larry probably gets more time for himself, which might be good since he has physically made himself sick coaching before, but he still gets to mold and impart defensive knowledge.

OK, if he's working with the Lowell kids then that's pretty good.

I saw horrible news and I thought Brodeur got hit by a bus or something, so this is a relief.

You too! :P

This is a loss and it sucks, as I liked Robinson as coach and assisstant coach on the bench for the Devils. :saddevil: They will miss him. I wish Robinson well and hope he does help out some in the Devils organization. Tommy will bring something new to the Devils there on the bench this season and it will be interesting to see how he does.

I do see the future now with Scott Stevens behind the bench after Abelin. :koolaid: Stevens is in the waiting whenever he is ready IMO to coach the defenseman behind the bench.

Not to big of a deal.. I always thought ohe was here primarily to teach the kids, and he will still be doing that. However, I'm sure his presence and knowledge had a little somehtign to do with our ragtag defenseman alst year playing unexpectedly well.

Will Scott Stevens play a bigger role?

I saw him in Lou's box at every home game last season.

:dance:

That sounds like a plan--I hope we see it. Also it isn't like LR is leaving--it's just a role change--I think we're still good.