Pelley still unsigned; Fedorov intends to play in NJ

Devils731

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/07...1.html#comments

TGs' takes on the scrimmage:

Players I noticed: D Matt Corrente -- The player whose number (33) I memorized the fastest and it wasn't just because he's filled out physically. It's hard to describe, but he just has that look of an NHL player (I also noticed it in his two training camps with the Devils). D Harry Young-- mostly because he's huge (6-4, 205); C Tyler Burton -- the kid from Colgate is tiny (5-9), but quick; RW Nathan Perkovich-- I didn't notice him much during the scrimmage, but he scored a nice goal in the shootout, snapping the puck over Jeff Frazee's glove and under the crossbar; C Patrice Cormier -- He showed one nice burst, but later fired high off the glass during the shootout. D Brandon Burlon -- I noticed his size (6-1, 195). He actually looks bigger than those numbers. C Adam Henrique -- for his shootout winner and bleeding on the ice. RW Matt Halischuk -- he had a couple of nice bursts of speed, but he needs to put on some weight to play in the NHL. He's pretty thin.

It's difficult to make any real evaluations off of today, though, especially because I was mostly trying to identify who the players were. I think I'll have a better take on some of these guys by the end of the week. But, also it's hard to tell much when it's mostly prospects playing against mostly prospects.

A good smattering of new info there, click the link to check it out.

I don't know how Fedorov figures to make the team, but I guess that's got to be his hope. Lou is giving out a lot of one-way deals lately.

Forward lines (in no particular order):

Parise-Elias-Gionta

Zubrus-Zajac-Rolston

Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner

Rupp-Holik-Clarkson

Vrana/Pelley/Bergfors

now of course if a certain #14 were to be moved, Fedorov could then have a roster spot..

I have a feeling Zajac and Bergfors will be the players traded for a defensmen, If any. I really can't see Gionta being moved.

So trade two prospects who are on the absolute low ebb of their worth? At least Gionta's only 2 years removed from a 48 goal season.

This is interesting now.. Im sure Fedorov and his agent discussed with Lou he plans on playing in the NHL.. and Im sure Lou agreed to that, or else he wouldn't waste money in signing him to play in Lowell... hmm

No way Lou would guarantee him a NJ spot. He probably told him he had every chance to make the team coming out of training camp, not that he was only signed in a weak attempt to get his brother to sign in NJ for less money. Fedor will try and make the team, and given Sutter's track record will have a legit chance to make the team, but he probably will not.

Because he isnt very good.

I have a feeling Zajac and Bergfors will be the players traded for a defensmen, If any. I really can't see Gionta being moved.

Zajac is only 23 and the kid just had a down season. I expect him to get better and rebound. Bergfors is only 21 and we have no idea what his potential is. These two guys are young and are the future of the Devs. Gionta is 29 and a FA next year. (I doubt we keep him)- we all know how crazy FA is. If anything GIO will be traded if we need a missing piece on D. IMO.

Zajac is only 23 and the kid just had a down season. I expect him to get better and rebound. Bergfors is only 21 and we have no idea what his potential is. These two guys are young and are the future of the Devs. Gionta is 29 and a FA next year. (I doubt we keep him)- we all know how crazy FA is. If anything GIO will be traded if we need a missing piece on D. IMO.

I think it all depends on what the return that Lou gets back. If he feels he is getting back a younger player who will help the team for years I think he would be willing to give up younger players.

No way Lou would guarantee him a NJ spot. He probably told him he had every chance to make the team coming out of training camp, not that he was only signed in a weak attempt to get his brother to sign in NJ for less money. Fedor will try and make the team, and given Sutter's track record will have a legit chance to make the team, but he probably will not.

Because he isnt very good.

So then why sign him? Lou already knows we have a big roster and potential rookies to make the team (vrana/bergfors as forwards, corrente/salmela as d-men). why add another forward to the mix? and fedor apparently is 100% he is making the team b/c "thats why he signed"

Edited by nmigliore

Fedor thinks he'll make the team because he believe he is really good and if given the chance at a spot will make the team. Only time will tell on that. I think we can all be fairly confident Lou did not guarantee a roster spot to a player known to be talented but lazy.

D Matt Corrente -- The player whose number (33) I memorized the fastest and it wasn't just because he's filled out physically. It's hard to describe, but he just has that look of an NHL player (I also noticed it in his two training camps with the Devils).

For a team that has been weak on the blueline for the past few years, it is very encouraging to hear news like this. Hopefully Corrente will start to show signs at the NHL level of becoming the player many imagined he would be.

I really don't see the point in the Fedorov signing. If he even makes the team he will just be Kozlov part 2.

i would think if fedorov somehow makes the big team out of training camp, it won't be because he played like kozlov.

maybe he see's this as his final chance to play in the nhl and he'll get his head on straight and start living up to the potential he once had.

i'm not holding my breath on that though.

I really don't see the point in the Fedorov signing. If he even makes the team he will just be Kozlov part 2.

Which means we will finally be able to beat the rangers in shootouts next year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him sneak on to the fourth line if Vrana/Bergfors aren't ready. Looking at that lineup we have a lot of grit but not a lot of pure talent players. Replace Rupp with Fedorov.

Which means we will finally be able to beat the rangers in shootouts next year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him sneak on to the fourth line if Vrana/Bergfors aren't ready. Looking at that lineup we have a lot of grit but not a lot of pure talent players. Replace Rupp with Fedorov.

Rupp is a good player and played really good when on a line with Zubrus and Clarkson. But whats good is that this shows we have a lot of talented players worthy of playing in the NHL which gives us great depth and should keep players hungry knowing that if they play bad there is someone there to take their spot away.

So trade two prospects who are on the absolute low ebb of their worth? At least Gionta's only 2 years removed from a 48 goal season.

Zajac has two years under his belt and still has good potential. I really don't see him getting much ice time this year under Sutter. Teams are going to want Zajac as part of a package rather then Gionta. Bergfors doesn't fit a Sutter team.

Zajac has two years under his belt and still has good potential. I really don't see him getting much ice time this year under Sutter. Teams are going to want Zajac as part of a package rather then Gionta. Bergfors doesn't fit a Sutter team.

Holik's not a 2nd line center anymore. His numbers are comparable to Zajac's. Over the last 2 seasons with Atlanta he's averaged 16 minutes per game and scored 11 and 15 goals respectively. Zajac has scored 17 and 14 in similar amounts of ice time. Holik got an 8 in Alan Ryder's hockey analytics last season, Zajac a 25.

Bergfors has been going backwards since his first pro season.

You're not going to draw very much with those two. Neither will you with Gionta, but you get something for a guy who should be gone next season With Langenbrunner and Rolston under contract and Bergfors on the horizon, the writing is on the wall for Brian.