N.J. Devils hopeful about younger Federov

SC Devs Fan

N.J. Devils hopeful about younger Federov

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/07...out_younge.html

"That's the only reason I'm here," Fedorov said Tuesday. "No other reason. There is no (other) point in me being here."

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello signed the 6-3, 230-pound forward to a one-year, one-way contract for $500,000.

"We know what his abilities and talents are," Lamoriello said. "We feel he has the ability to make the team."

Not just the Rangers my friend, Vancouver and I believe Columbus as well...

:boogie:

But he had a good season last season. Nobody is banking on Federov making the team but his year last year in Russia can certainly warrant a look at him to see what he has.

Not just the Rangers my friend, Vancouver and I believe Columbus as well...

:boogie:

And Mike Mottau was part of 4 organizations before landing in New Jersey, where he proved himself a capable 3rd pairing guy, getting a 47 in Alan Ryder's Hockey Analytics (similar to the score of Fedor Tyutin and Wade Redden - actually, Jagr only had a 54 himself).

But he had a good season last season. Nobody is banking on Federov making the team but his year last year in Russia can certainly warrant a look at him to see what he has.

On what planet is 12 goals and 13 assists in 49 games considered "a good season"? Not excited about this at all.

lowellorbust.jpg

On what planet is 12 goals and 13 assists in 49 games considered "a good season"? Not excited about this at all.

Scoring in the RSL ain't like scoring in the NHL.

In three seasons with CSKA Moscow, Alexander Mogilny's highest goal total was 15. Sergei Fedorov's was 19 (prior to that he scored single-digits the previous three seasons). Zelepukin never scored more than 17 goals there.

Edited by insanity_gallops

the only question i have is how many goals and assists did rupp have? all i am saying is lets see what he can do for the team, if he makes it

Uncle Lou's planet.

just ignore the post above you.

assists are given out much less frequently in the russian league. for example, fedor's team scored 132 goals and had 178 assists. the devils scored 198 goals and had 346 assists.

the scoring in the russian league is about on par with the NHL, but fedor's team was not a good scoring one, and he was 4th in scoring on his team, and he got shorted a bunch of assists he would've had in the NHL. adjust it for a league average russian offense and give him 30% more assists, and his scoring looks something like 15 goals and 17 assists in 50 games, which is looking quite a bit better.

Anybody else have high hopes for young federov??

I want Vrana and Bergfors making the team before this guy. If Federov can play well in camp then it is a bonus and we can throw him on the 4th line instead of RUPP. I hightly doubt he makes the team. IMO. Where would he fit anyway? This line-up is pretty deep unless we trade someone.

Parise-Rolston-Elias

Gionta-Zajac-Lagenbrunner

Pando-Madden-Zubrus

Clarkson-Holik-Rupp

Reserves: Bergfors/Vrana

I have high hopes for either Salmela, Corrente, or Eckford. I think one of these guys will make the team and be a good puck moving D-guy we needed.

Not really. I remembered him as a stiff, but that might have been perception. He looks pretty skillful in highlight videos, but the defense and goaltending in them are totally atrocious. Apparently, no RSL goalies (in that video) understand the concept of the pokecheck.

The biggest issue with this guy is he has a very large reputation as a dick, especially compared to his stature as a player. Don't think that's a big deal, because if he doesn't make the team, I don't see why they'll have him poison Lowell, I wouldn't be surprised if he just went AWOL and went home.

I wouldn't say I have high hopes for him but I say let's give him a chance. What have the Devils got to lose? :noclue: .

I watched him do an awful lot of floating when he played here with the Moose but everybody can change, right? Like others have posted, is he worse than the other options?

The Devils have seen something in him that has made them want to take a look at him so that is good enough for me.

I wouldn't say I have high hopes for him but I say let's give him a chance. What have the Devils got to lose? :noclue: .

I watched him do an awful lot of floating when he played here with the Moose but everybody can change, right? Like others have posted, is he worse than the other options?

The Devils have seen something in him that has made them want to take a look at him so that is good enough for me.

I agree. I'm not expecting Fedorov to make the team or be a difference maker, but there is no harm in giving him a shot. I don't understand why people seem to be so disappointed with Lou's signing of this guy. If it works out, then its a good move at a good price, if it doesn't then there is a minimal loss. I'm sure Lou and his scouts have been doing their work and feel this guy has a legitimate chance to help the team.