Will Jeff Frazee be Martin Brodeur's successor with the Devils?

overtime98

Goalie Jeff Frazee had a forgettable season at the University of Minnesota last winter. In the eyes of some, he was no longer a legitimate long-term successor to Martin Brodeur.

As the 2005 draft choice (second pick, 38th overall by the Devils) takes part in the team's develoipmental camp at the Prudential Center, there is renewed hope that he can turn his game around and start climbing the ladder to the NHL.

"His career is on the way up," GM Lou Lamoriello said. "He's a genuine prospect. His career is on the upswing. We look at him as a top prospect."

It is one of the reasons why the Devils brought Scott Clemmensen back, to work with Frazee at Lowell (AHL) this season.

"He (Clemmensen) seems like a great guy," Frazee said today. "He's played in the NHL. He's definitely someone I hope to learn from."

Frazee, 21, is hesitant to talk about what happened last year in college. He was viewed as Minnesota;s No. 1 goalie, but lost the job and was criticized by the coaching staff.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/07...urs_succes.html

Brodeur is 36.. Hes been in excellent shape and has never sustained injury.. so I think Marty can play to like 43 or 44 if he really wants.. By the time Marty is like 43 or 44, Frazee will be like 29 or 30.. I dont think he will still be in the system by that age

Brodeur is 36.. Hes been in excellent shape and has never sustained injury.. so I think Marty can play to like 43 or 44 if he really wants.. By the time Marty is like 43 or 44, Frazee will be like 29 or 30.. I dont think he will still be in the system by that age

43 or 44 is really old to be playing hockey, and goalies usually retire earlier than skaters. I'll be amazed if he is still playing in 2015.

Edited by devilsfan26

43 or 44 is really old to be playing hockey, and goalies usually retire earlier than skaters. I'll be amazed if he is still playing in 2015.

Dominik Hasek? 43. Maybe 44 was pushing it.. by I believe Marty can go a bit past 40..

• 3 weeks later...

No one knows how he'll turn out. The Devils must see something in him if they are investing in him, and bringing in Clemmer. I'm not saying he'll be a true number one, but remember, in the summer of 1993, Marty was about 4th on the depth chart so you just never know. The other 'big' goalies in the 90 draft were Potvin and Kidd, and they are long gone.

People may need to come to grips with the fact that Marty's successor may be mediocre. It's gonna take some getting used to if it happens.

So the Devils are going to destroy yet another goaltender and we'll be proud of it?

I think the Devils will give Frazee every opportunity to be Marty's back up by 2010-11, and I think he'll be the first guy they look to when Marty hangs em up in 2013. Unless, of course they draft a kid who surprises them before that. Either way, with how Lou works, Marty's successor comes from within the organization.

I think the Devils will give Frazee every opportunity to be Marty's back up by 2010-11, and I think he'll be the first guy they look to when Marty hangs em up in 2013. Unless, of course they draft a kid who surprises them before that. Either way, with how Lou works, Marty's successor comes from within the organization.

Yeah most likely.

• 5 months later...
People may need to come to grips with the fact that Marty's successor may be mediocre. It's gonna take some getting used to if it happens.

I'm already used to it. A point out of first, with games in hand? Granted, we are just 1/2-way through the season, but I could live with this type of season EVERY year, post-Marty.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

I'm already used to it. A point out of first, with games in hand? Granted, we are just 1/2-way through the season, but I could live with this type of season EVERY year, post-Marty.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Ha, yeah, funny how things have changed since this topic started! I sure never thought I'd be able to see Frazee in the AHL- All-Star game.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

I agree. When marty went down i think every devil fan's heart missed a beat. But it seems that this is allowing marty to rest and take his time coming back becuase we look pretty good without the best goalie. I think when he returns we will be able to make a strong run at the cup. LETS GO DEVILS!!!