Ten Things I Hate About the Rangers

Revan

http://fourhabsfans.blogspot.com/2007/08/1...ut-rangers.html

It's a year old, but still a good read. I like reading Rangers bashing coming from non-Devils and non-Islanders fans. Hope it wasn't posted in the past.

Some of the best quotes:

8. Original home for aging, overpaid former stars. See Esposito, Phil. Dionne, Marcel. Lafleur, Guy. Kurri, Jari. Messier, Mark (Version 2.1).

7. Sean fvcking Avery.

6. Lousy, loud, jerk-off, fair weather fans who claim they are the best in the world. In the words of our New York dwelling friend DS, "The Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Devils, and Brooklyn Cyclones Triple A baseball team all have a more loyal fanbase than the Rangers. Rangers tickets are easy to get. It's only hard when the Isles, Devils or Flyers are in town." (DS ended up surrounded by other Habs fans at the last NY/Montreal tilt.)

2. They are the traditional weak-sister of the Original Six, the one without a natural rival, best known for 54 years of futility they turned into a "curse", and a penchant for overpriced, over-the hill stars. They exist in the world's largest media market and receive attention far out of proportion to their impact on hockey in general and the New York sports market in particular, which doesn't stop Gary Bettman and whatever local cable access channel is carrying the NHL in the States from pushing them on fans at the expense of far more exciting teams that play in less desirable markets. They continue to employ that smirking, overrated genius Glen Sather, despite the fact that his genius is based on catching lightning in a bottle with two brilliant drafts and having the greatest player ever dropped in his lap, and all he has done is strip mine their farm system and sign more overpriced stars. They and their big-spending brethren nearly destroyed the league. Twice.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 10?

#6 resonates with me the most. I had 4 or 5 Rangers fans in my section this past season who insisted on buying Devils season tickets. That would have been fine if they didn't have to act like such a$$holes most of the time. And they were the typical kind in every way: piercing voices, awful Noo Yawk accent, constant mentions of trapping and attendance, etc.

Another one that I agree with:

9. Continued veneration of this lousy history: 4 Cups since 1926, including 54-year drought. All time team includes Mike Richter and Vic Hadfield. Top ten scorers in Rangers history include Steve Vickers, Ron Greschner, and Adam Graves.

It ties in with #6, in that so many Ranger fans think and act as though their franchise has this rich, wonderful, and successful history as a result of having been an "Original 6". One cup since 1940? Please.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Another one that I agree with:

9. Continued veneration of this lousy history: 4 Cups since 1926, including 54-year drought. All time team includes Mike Richter and Vic Hadfield. Top ten scorers in Rangers history include Steve Vickers, Ron Greschner, and Adam Graves.

It ties in with #6, in that so many Ranger fans think and act as though their franchise has this rich, wonderful, and successful history as a result of having been an "Original 6". One cup since 1940? Please.

I agree with this, definitely. Any team thats around for 80 somethin years is going to have a history. Doesn't mean its a good one.

I'd rather have a good history packed into 27 (or 34) years then moderate success spread over 2 lifetimes.

I agree with this, definitely. Any team thats around for 80 somethin years is going to have a history. Doesn't mean its a good one.

The Mets are 4 years away from their 50th anniversary. That's definitely a fairly long one as far as sports franchises go. But as I and any other Met fan will tell you, most of it hasn't been pretty. Cub fans have it a lot worse though.

I'd rather have a good history packed into 27 (or 34) years then moderate success spread over 2 lifetimes.

One of the great aspects regarding Devils history is how the franchise that couldn't even stay in one city and was seen as a complete joke (rightly so) by the rest of the NHL became a model franchise. It really does make for a great story, no matter how many detractors try to downplay that with comments about parking lot parades and attendance figures and style-of-play.

I wrote something a few years back on this very subject. Take a look if you want.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...DE48D9C62708258

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Just fair warning, though. There's a lot of naughty language (I was pissed at the time, for whatever reason) and some of the links in the text might not work anymore, what with this thing being two years old and all.

I wrote something a few years back on this very subject. Take a look if you want.

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Just fair warning, though. There's a lot of naughty language (I was pissed at the time, for whatever reason) and some of the links in the text might not work anymore, what with this thing being two years old and all.

THAT

WAS

AWESOME!

Thanks for the laugh...great stuff!

haha Thanks. Glad you liked it. :D

To hear Rangers fans tell it, the season-canceling lockout was caused by the Devils and their "boring" style of play. These folks are what intelligent people call "fvcking idiots." Labor disputes have never been caused by defensive styles. And since when is defense a bad thing? I guess the '70s Steelers teams and the '85 Bears were boring teams, and I guess Ozzie Smith was a boring baseball player, because they all were awesome at defense, just like the Devils. But I digress.

-from DIG's blog

This part brought back a memory that was both sad and pathetic. During the 2000-01 season, I was on a Devils discussion board on ESPN (before they went with their current board format)...eventually, Ranger fans started making their way onto the Devils board. A select few were OK, but most of them went on to blast the Devils' boring style of play (this was of course during the second year of the A-line, Mogilny netting 43 and the Devils pacing the NHL with 295 goals scored) and how the Devils were single-handedly killing the NHL, while talking about how much better the league would be if more teams played like the Rangers. Does anybody else remember the Rangers of that year? I sure do. They were known for not hustling, not being held accountable, and playing with next-to-no passion most nights, although Messier coming back was supposed to change all that. Yeah, that would have been great for the league. Then came the usual Ranger standbys (attendance etc.) when trying to hurl barbs...and when they finally beat the Devils in their last matchup of that season (to end that ridiculous unbeaten streak the Devils had against them) you would've thought they won their fifth Cup that day.

To hear Rangers fans tell it, the season-canceling lockout was caused by the Devils and their "boring" style of play. These folks are what intelligent people call "fvcking idiots." Labor disputes have never been caused by defensive styles. And since when is defense a bad thing? I guess the '70s Steelers teams and the '85 Bears were boring teams, and I guess Ozzie Smith was a boring baseball player, because they all were awesome at defense, just like the Devils. But I digress.

-from DIG's blog

This part brought back a memory that was both sad and pathetic. During the 2000-01 season, I was on a Devils discussion board on ESPN (before they went with their current board format)...eventually, Ranger fans started making their way onto the Devils board. A select few were OK, but most of them went on to blast the Devils' boring style of play (this was of course during the second year of the A-line, Mogilny netting 43 and the Devils pacing the NHL with 295 goals scored) and how the Devils were single-handedly killing the NHL, while talking about how much better the league would be if more teams played like the Rangers. Does anybody else remember the Rangers of that year? I sure do. They were known for not hustling, not being held accountable, and playing with next-to-no passion most nights, although Messier coming back was supposed to change all that. Yeah, that would have been great for the league. Then came the usual Ranger standbys (attendance etc.) when trying to hurl barbs...and when they finally beat the Devils in their last matchup of that season (to end that ridiculous unbeaten streak the Devils had against them) you would've though they won their fifth Cup that day.

Haha :giggle:

Thanks alot DiG....I read this at work, actually laugh out loud a couple of times, and now I'm getting a bunch of funny looks....way to look out for your fellow board-members... :P

Use this URL from now on

http://tinyurl.com/5vop5w

the team is named after their backstabbing, weaselly, liar-liar-pants-on-fire first owner

That is hi-freakin-larious

Thanks alot DiG....I read this at work, actually laugh out loud a couple of times, and now I'm getting a bunch of funny looks....way to look out for your fellow board-members... :P

Me too. My co-workers think I'm losing it...well ..ok they think I'm even crazier than they already did. That is funny stuff.

Me too. My co-workers think I'm losing it...well ..ok they think I'm even crazier than they already did. That is funny stuff.

haha My bad. :evil:

I bow down to you, DaneykoisGod. You're my hero. Hahahahahhaha!!! Awesome stuff.

I'm glad people are enoying it. Nothing brings people together quite like hating the Rangers.

What's up with your hate for "the great one"? The guy has apologized for calling the team a "Mickey Mouse club" already? What else do you want from the guy? I've never forgiven him for signing with douch...er...Rangers, but that is all in the past. The guy was the greatest hockey player of all time. I'll even go as far as saying he was "the best there is, best there was, and the best there ever will be.." Then again, I'm a little biased.

That was an awesome blog.

I was playing the rangers in NHL 08 the other day, and I never noticed, but the announcers mentioned how the Rangers don't have an identity. I wish I could get it word for word, but my memory is far from being capable of doing that. Anyway, they continued saying something like they are not offensive or defensive, they just work with what they have that night. Its obviously true, I've never thought of the rangers as anything other than the team across the Hudson. They don't have any characteristics or style of play that have carried through the years.

Edited by The Facepainter

That was an awesome blog.

I was playing the rangers in NHL 08 the other day, and I never noticed, but the announcers mentioned how the Rangers don't have an identity. I wish I could get it word for word, but my memory is far from being capable of doing that. Anyway, they continued saying something like they are not offensive or defensive, they just work with what they have that night. Its obviously true, I've never thought of the rangers as anything other than the team across the Hudson. They don't have any characteristics or style of play that have carried through the years.

Yeah thats true. We have the trap and good defensive players.

Edited by Prucenterrules