Vishnevski on Waivers

Devilsdude530

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VV is not going to Russia, someone can use him.

Despite our somewhat warped perspective as Devil fans being used to superior defenders, VV does bring a unique skill set to the table. Its just going to take a team that has both the D corps room, patience, and style to help develop him into a unique role in their squad.

If he could focus his game a little more, he could play a useful role in the vien of a Kronwall (a much more skilled version of VV).

Fact of the matter is, despite all the moaning, the asking price of ANY D-man has gone up, despite whatever the return. Those who think that a guy like Salvador is overpaid just don't realize what the market has done to D-men yet (wrong or right).

Actaully, I think that he and Rachunek and the rest were doing well before the great "Greene & Brookbank Experiment" right atound Trade Deadline day.

VV, with work, can still play a significant role on some team in this league that is willing to invest in a roster spot, and both clearly define and limit his role. His problem here was the rotating lineup of D-corps that was always revolving. None of the "replacement guys" (other than White, Motts, Martin, Oduya) ever got too comfortable to settle into focus.

I hope he enjoys a lot of future success. Some of the "Good Riddance" posters here should quickly glance around the league to see what you can get these days for 2 mil...much less to come to Jersey.

Well put D in LA. I liked VV despite his "roaming" in the defensive zone at times he came up with the odd big hit. I wouldn't be surprised if a team takes a chance on him.

I think it was always expected that Lou wasn't done yet, especially on defense. This move could provide a trade, a rookie,or simply just some more space in general.

More space in general. I don't see another move coming. VV wasn't going to get the ice time and there were cheaper alternatives available.

As for his cap hit, if he is bought out, he will cost around 525,000 for the next 4 seasons. so like removing a player who plays at the league minimum from the roster.

More space in general. I don't see another move coming. VV wasn't going to get the ice time and there were cheaper alternatives available.

As for his cap hit, if he is bought out, he will cost around 525,000 for the next 4 seasons. so like removing a player who plays at the league minimum from the roster.

I thought the buyout period was over. I could be wrong though

Isn't the buyout period over? I thought there was just the June 15-30 period, and then the post-arbitration window.

EDIT: Hm, but Glen Murray got bought out last month and is now a UFA. Yep, guess I don't know what I'm talkin' about. Someone enlighten me.

I just jumped through the CBA real quick highlighting wherever it said "buyout". I didn't see any specific dates listed for buyouts in any section mentioning buyouts. A closer reading might find one but it must be in a different section than the ones actually using the word buyout if it is.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08232008/sport...vski_125664.htm

Vishnevski is believed to be planning to play in Russia this coming season, although a claim by another NHL team could alter that.

This would take close reading of the CBA and the handshake transfer agreement with Russia but if VV cleared waivers then perhaps the Devils can loan him to the Russian team for the remainder of VV's contract. The Russians don't seem like they would mind paying VV's salary and VV would be happy to play in Russia and the Devils would be happy not to pay him or have to buy him out. Everyone would be a winner.

I just jumped through the CBA real quick highlighting wherever it said "buyout". I didn't see any specific dates listed for buyouts in any section mentioning buyouts. A closer reading might find one but it must be in a different section than the ones actually using the word buyout if it is.

Really thought that there was a two-week period for buyouts... seem to recall it on the front page of TSN about two months ago.

Really thought that there was a two-week period for buyouts... seem to recall it on the front page of TSN about two months ago.

Ya, I don't know, a buyout period was not mentioned near any mention of the word buyout. Perhaps when you buy players out during that period teams can spread the cap hit out in a more favorable fashion then a team that were to do it now?

Ya, I don't know, a buyout period was not mentioned near any mention of the word buyout. Perhaps when you buy players out during that period teams can spread the cap hit out in a more favorable fashion then a team that were to do it now?

Maybe.

Tucker's being paid $1m over the next 5 years, Raycroft .533 this year and .733 the following.

Emery is all over the place: .479 .230 .562 .562 for the next 4 seasons.

Glen Murray, on the other hand, is receiving $1.383 for each of the next 2.

http://scarlettice.blogspot.com/2008/06/wa...iod-begins.html

The buyout period in the NHL officially began today and teams will have until June 30th to notify players that they will be bought out of their contracts.

TSN has similar stuff as well. Now there are 2 types of buyouts. There are compliance buyouts which a team can have unlimited numbers of and there are regular buyouts that a team can only have 3 of during the course of the CBA.

https://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=240289

You will read a lot about teams contemplating buyouts over the next two weeks as the NHL's first buyout period opens June 15th.

There TSN is suggesting there are multiple buyout periods.

------------------

Does the first buyout period follow when arbitration hearings come down? If so I would guess that is a compliance buyout period and does not count towards the 3 regular buyouts a team can have.

From my understanding of the CBA, teams have a buyout option post-arbitration, but they aren't allowed to exercise it if they have had 1 or 0 players go through the arbitration process that off-season... and that's the kind of buyout to which teams are limited (3).

If I have misinterpreted it, then are those 3 buyouts the limit per season or, as I thought it meant, the life of the CBA? 'cause using Vish as one of the three chances seems a bit foolish.

Not a big fan of this move. Puts a lot of faith in guys like Mottau, Brookbank and Greene especially if there are injuries. If Corrente is't all what he lives up to be, the aforementioned three could play major roles. Something I was hoping wouldn't have to happen this year.

Edited by devilsrule33

Not a big fan of this move. Puts a lot of faith on guys like Mottau, Brookbank and Greene especially if there are injuries. If Corrente is't all what he lives up to be the aforementioned three could play major roles. Something I was hoping wouldn't have to happen this year.

Don't overlook Salmela as an option, too. He's got professional experience and seems NHL-ready from the accounts I've read.

From my understanding of the CBA, teams have a buyout option post-arbitration, but they aren't allowed to exercise it if they have had 1 or 0 players go through the arbitration process that off-season... and that's the kind of buyout to which teams are limited (3).

If I have misinterpreted it, then are those 3 buyouts the limit per season or, as I thought it meant, the life of the CBA? 'cause using Vish as one of the three chances seems a bit foolish.

The CBA said a team gets 3 buyouts over the course of this CBA.

Page 251 of the CBA, under the Standard Player Contract, lists the buyout period as the 15th to 30th. Of course they call it contract termination so it didn't come up when I searched for the word buyout.

Barring the buyout period teams may terminate a contract if a player clears waivers and then the player does not follow team rules or does not render services properly. If the Devils knew VV was going to play in Russia then they don't buy him out, they just terminate his contract once he goes to play there.

The Standard Playing Contract also states the team can assign a player anywhere so it seems the Devils could loan VV to a Russian team thus letting VV play in Russia and not violate any transfer agreements.

Don't overlook Salmela as an option, too. He's got professional experience and seems NHL-ready from the accounts I've read.

Add Fraser as well. Also the team has mentioned Eckford as competing for a spot(although I can't see that).

Not really. The Devils don't want to be in this position again, and they probably won't be.

That's an interesting thought re: the Russian league, 731. I think they'd be pretty stupid to pay VV $2 million to play there - Russian league is international ice, right? The Russian league actually starts pretty soon, too.

I really don't think this erodes our depth much. Regardless of what went on with VV during the season, the fact is, he wasn't going to get into a playoff game without some injuries, and he's taking up too much of the cap for that to be his role. He belongs on a marginal playoff team where he might provide more value, or more likely, in Russia.

Edited by Triumph

Thanks for the research.

Can you C&P the text section explaining the "buyout post-June period"? Your summary implies that Vish could only be bought out if he refuses to report to Lowell or violates team policy.

This is starting to look like the Devils are hoping Vish is either claimed by another NHL team or headed to Russia. (...duh)

Thanks for the research.

Can you C&P the text section explaining the "buyout post-June period"? Your summary implies that Vish could only be bought out if he refuses to report to Lowell or violates team policy.

This is starting to look like the Devils are hoping Vish is either claimed by another NHL team or headed to Russia. (...duh)

Nope, no copy and paste can be done.

It's page 251 and 252 in the current CBA

http://nhlpa.com/CBA/index.asp

If then really, I could see the Panthers holding onto him just because they could. I don't forsee a pleasant ending between Florida and J-Bo

They gotta get something for him. Thats the mistake we made with gomez

Edited by spyro