NJDevs' Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he doesnt show, can I take his place?

I'll probably give it at least till the middle-end of this week incase DP was on vacation last week, but I'll put you at the top of the reserve list in case I don't hear from him in a decent amount of time and he doesn't register.

Edited by Hasan4978

Why not a 20 person league again?

There's not enough interest anymore. I can't even get to 16 without having to wait on one person.

Just as well since over half of the teams last year had like 12 moves or less. It's better just to have the interested players and a few noobs than having a bunch of people going through the motions.

How can you be putting someone "at the top of the reserve list" while at the same time there's not enough interest for a bigger league? Does it have to be 16 or 20, or can you make it like 17 or 18?

A few years back there was enough interest not only for a 20-team league but another seperate 12-team league as well. 16 in one league is half that so that tells you there isn't as much interest.

The 'reserve list' is basically one - overtime. And that's only if the other poster doesn't join up in a few days.

It has to be an even number, either 16, 18 or 20. 17 doesn't do me any good. I don't want to boot anyone after putting them in and I don't want to hassle someone else to join to fill out the league if they aren't going to be very active anyways.

This thread's been up about two weeks or more (and it's that time of year obviously), if people haven't seen it by now odds are they aren't really interested anyways, or don't have the time.

I made the mistake last year of trying to fill it to 20 for the sake of doing so and most of the people I asked to fill out the league or reserved spots for were among the inactives so as far as I care this year people are on their own as to whether to join for the most part :P I only contacted DM and LetsGoDevils off the board about joining because they have been active in years past.

Out of the 20 last year, maybe 9 or 10 played out the whole season - ideally it'd be closer to 12-15. Plus four of the top five teams finished there both two years ago and last year - Swede, me, Manta and halfshark, now we are good players but really that shouldn't happen in a 20-team league.

If a few more posters want to join between now and next week fine, I'll put the cap back up to 18-20 but I'm not counting on it. I'd still rather have a smaller league with more active players than a humongous league with too many inactives.

EDIT: Well actually for a roto league I 'can' have an odd number of teams, I just checked. I'd rather not just cause of the snake draft though, if you pick second in odd-numbered rounds you pick second to last in even-numbered rounds, and having an even number of teams balances out the number of times you pick in each spot.

Edited by Hasan4978

I want in i didnt realise this had started already!!!!

The new season came around quicker than i thought!!

I don't remember you doing fantasy hockey in prior years, but you seem eager enough. You'll be the 18th player in case DP doesn't show up by Friday and I'll send PM's to GA Devil and overtime now (only since they posted first) bumping the max teams to 18.

If a couple more post interest I'll bump it up to 20 and you can be in anyway. If nothing else at least there's a lot of new blood this year and the holdovers are generally the more active players anyway.

For the two newest invites: The draft time is currently slated for two weeks from today (Tuesday 9/23 at 9 PM), hopefully that's convenient for you?

Edited by Hasan4978

anymore room? PM me let me know, i want in and i will be comitted i do it every year, just never in an organized league, just the public ones, i love it, ill give you my yahoo id or whatever when you PM me if i can join

I don't remember you doing fantasy hockey in prior years, but you seem eager enough. You'll be the 18th player in case DP doesn't show up by Friday and I'll send PM's to GA Devil and overtime now (only since they posted first) bumping the max teams to 18.

If a couple more post interest I'll bump it up to 20 and you can be in anyway. If nothing else at least there's a lot of new blood this year and the holdovers are generally the more active players anyway.

For the two newest invites: The draft time is currently slated for two weeks from today (Tuesday 9/23 at 9 PM), hopefully that's convenient for you?

I have wanted to enter for quite a while, but always miss the entry time, so when i saw this thread when i got back from a small break i finally decided to get involved.

:boogie:

EDIT: the time is fine, i mean its 2 am but its not like i am going to be busy.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Wow, really sorry guys. I'm here and should be for a while. My whole entire internet connection died and took over a week to get fixed.

Thanks for waiting for me Hasan. :hail:

Well the draft is still two weeks away so could afford to wait for you...glad you could make it. With you, Chimara and Cal914 now we can have 20 and everyone can be happy :P

Here's to hoping the new blood is active, it seems as if a lot of you are up for it :)

And now I can redo the draft order, which might be a good thing since I didn't have a great draft position in my 16-team drawing :lol:

anymore room? PM me let me know, i want in and i will be comitted i do it every year, just never in an organized league, just the public ones, i love it, ill give you my yahoo id or whatever when you PM me if i can join

It depends how you define organized...we have a board league every year but it's never with all the same people though I've run it the last few years. It's completely for fun, and while there are usually a good number of holdovers, there is also (particuarly this year) an infusion of new players every year.

Oh and the only 'prize' is that the league winner gets an automatic invite back the next year and also gets to pick their draft position in the draft.

Edited by Hasan4978

I had a question/suggestion: Any way we can determine the draft order before the draft once the 20 teams are set? No biggie, just a thought to possibly open up trade ideas etc for positioning...there are random draft generators that we could use online (although I have not tested it for 20 teams)

I had a question/suggestion: Any way we can determine the draft order before the draft once the 20 teams are set? No biggie, just a thought to possibly open up trade ideas etc for positioning...there are random draft generators that we could use online (although I have not tested it for 20 teams)

I have my own random system - it isn't very techy. I just rip out nineteen pieces of paper, put the team name on one end, turn them all over, shuffle it and then pick. Actually I already did the re-order, as usual I didn't pick a great spot for myself :lol: I'll post the whole draft order after Chimara signs up (if he hasn't already).

As for the trade thing, I guess two people could trade positions for the entire draft if we want (you may want to trade your spot when you get it too :P) but since it has to be a live draft, we can't do anything as fancy as in the football league with trading picks.

Edited by Hasan4978

I have my own random system - it isn't very techy. I just rip out nineteen pieces of paper, put the team name on one end, turn them all over, shuffle it and then pick. Actually I already did the re-order, as usual I didn't pick a great spot for myself :lol: I'll post the whole draft order after Chimara signs up (if he hasn't already).

As for the trade thing, I guess two people could trade positions for the entire draft if we want (you may want to trade your spot when you get it too :P) but since it has to be a live draft, we can't do anything as fancy as in the football league with trading picks.

Cool...and you are right...a trade would only be permissible to swap positions for the entire draft and has to be done beforehand

Still have yet to hear from LGD/WolfPack, devilsrule, Manta, bostondevil11 and halfshark on what days are good for them...although LGD seems to like autodrafting anyways :P

:P LOL. Well, I work nights (12 hr shifts) and I'm scheduled to be in most of that week, so I guess I'll have to..umm..Autodraft again. No problem. :razz:

Everyone's signed up now so registration is officially closed.

In my initial drawing I thought being 11th out of 16 was bad, now I'm all the way down to 20th in a 20-team draft :rofl: At least with the snake draft I get back-to-back picks so it's not all that bad. Here's the rest of the order:

1. Helsinki Horrors (Swede)

2. Swede Devils (Devilswede)

3. Dynamo Nation (redruM)

4. halfsharkaligator (")

5. Wolf Pack (LetsGoDevils)

6. devilsrule33 (")

7. Preying Manta's (MantaRay)

8. Zamboniz (RSC)

9. elias arnott sykora (DevilsPride26)

10. triboro briscoes (overtime98)

11. Iselin Rebels (devilsfan26)

12. Wolverines (DevilMinder)

13. Cantankerous Carp (Devils731)

14. Warriors (Cal914)

15. flying oduyas (bostondevil11)

16. westcoast quakes (westcoast)

17. Sworn Defenders (aylbert)

18. London Knights (ChimaraDevil)

19. Reno Mummies (GA Devil)

20. New Jersey Swamps (Hasan4978)

Like Clown alluded to above if you want to trade your draft position with someone else, find a willing partner through PM, IM whatever - then either post on the board or PM me and I'll switch the two teams' spots, but you have to do it by 24 hours or so before the draft so I can put it through.

As far as particulars, the draft is Tuesday the 23rd at 9 PM. For those that can't make it you still have almost two weeks to set your preranks. And at least Yahoo! straightened out some of their earlier glitches, though I'm sure it's still off somewhat.

To reiterate the settings, it's a rotisserie league where you get points for each one of fourteen categories - eight for forwards and defensemen (G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, SHP, Faceoff wins and PIM's) and six for goaltenders (W, L, GAA, Saves, Sv.Pct, SHO).

I'll leave rosters at 18, with two IR spots. Among the active eighteen players on the roster, we'll start twelve (C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G). Each position has an 82-game limit, so for two centers you have 164 games combined. Every year, some people forget about the game limits, so here's one more reminder: You can check how many games are left for each position at the bottom of your team page.

Edited by Hasan4978