Ottawa Senators trade Andrej Meszaros to TAMPA BAY

Confusious

Wadda you think: Tampa a bust this season or a powerhouse ????????

The guy between those iron posts means something, no?

I say they are much better than last season/in the playoff hunt, and thats about it. but their goaltending will hurt them down the stretch. If Smith proves to be a big bust they are screwed; unless Olaf found the fountain of youth

Edited by nmigliore

I say they are much better than last season/in the playoff hunt, and thats about it. but their goaltending will hurt them down the stretch. If Smith proves to be a big bust they are screwed; unless Olaf found the fountain of youth

I agree. Goaltending will be their big question mark.

*psst* that Mike Smith guy they got in the Richards deal... he's pretty good :P

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247902&lid...os=topStory_nhl

Sens trade Mez to Tampa for Filip Kuba, Alexandre Picard and a 1st-rounder (from San Jose)...

Looks like the offer sheet rumors scared the sh!t out of the blubbering idiot that mans Ottawa.

Knew it wasn't going to be the Devils. TB seems to be doing a lot of signings and other moves this off season more than any team. I think it will pay off and they will make the playoffs this season. I wouldn't be suprised if they won that weak SE division.

Goaltending will be just fine lol for TB. Smith is a good and up in coming goalie. He will win a lot of games for TB this season. It was a good trade for TB to get Smith for Richards, especially salary wise.

Eh I gotta see Smith do it over a full season. Marc Denis was supposed to be the next big thing when he got to Tampa too. Besides Dallas was a defensive team with a good D core where Smith only played once every four games, Tampa's a different animal especially with another offensive coach in Melrose.

Upgrading from Meszaros to Kuba is the only thing I recall them doing trying to upgrade one of the worst D's in the league.

Wadda you think: Tampa a bust this season or a powerhouse ????????

The addition of Meszaros is the latest of several changes the Lightning made in the offseason. After taking centre Steven Stamkos first overall June's NHL Entry Draft, the team hit the ground running by acquiring forwards Vaclav Prospal, Ryan Malone, Gary Roberts, Mark Recchi and Radim Vrbata, defenceman Matt Carle and goaltender Olaf Kolzig.

That isn't a powerhouse team. FAR from it.

Edited by Confusious

The addition of Meszaros is the latest of several changes the Lightning made in the offseason. After taking centre Steven Stamkos first overall June's NHL Entry Draft, the team hit the ground running by acquiring forwards Vaclav Prospal, Ryan Malone, Gary Roberts, Mark Recchi and Radim Vrbata, defenceman Matt Carle and goaltender Olaf Kolzig.

That isn't a powerhouse team. FAR from it.

No they're not a powerhouse, but they are definitely going to contend in that division. If Smith can play a full season at a decent level, there is no reason why they wont be a top 3 seed next years playoffs. Their weak point is the backend, but if Stamkos is as good as advertised, playing opposite Vinny? Christ, they're no slouch.

They've got depth at the forward lines, D is definitely thin, and goal is unproven, but they're (on paper) remarkably better already than last year.

Night & Day. Mez is a fantastic young D. This trade finally gives Tampa a Defensemen who isn't AHL level quality.

This doesn't make them a very good team yet.

But with the Caps and Canes, it might make the SE at least tolerable to watch this year.

Night & Day. Mez is a fantastic young D. This trade finally gives Tampa a Defensemen who isn't AHL level quality.

This doesn't make them a very good team yet.

- Meszaros isn't that good - he's overrated.

- Kuba isn't that bad - he's not an AHL defenseman.

this is not a big upgrade, for now. Down the road, however, it is a decent upgrade, especially with the contract he signed. When guys like Salvador and Jeff Finger are getting the deals they are now, assuming the cap continues to escalate at its current rate (and there's no other reason to think otherwise), it should become a bargain in year 4.

Edited by Triumph

- Meszaros isn't that good - he's overrated.

- Kuba isn't that bad - he's not an AHL defenseman.

this is not a big upgrade, for now. Down the road, however, it is a decent upgrade, especially with the contract he signed. When guys like Salvador and Jeff Finger are getting the deals they are now, assuming the cap continues to escalate at its current rate (and there's no other reason to think otherwise), it should become a bargain in year 4.

Good point.