No Schneider for Devils and VV off Cap

msweet

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/09...s-wont-put.html

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello told me this morning that he won't be putting in a claim for Anaheim Ducks defenseman Mathieu Schneider before today's noon deadline....

and

When teams trim their rosters before the regular season opens -- and players begin being paid their salaries -- then Vishnevski will come off the team's cap.

Tri, my comment wouldn't post on Fire and Ice but I saw your question to TG.

"The Devils retain Vishnevski's NHL rights and his average salary ($1.8 million) will continue to count against the team's cap until the regular season begins, though the team is not paying him."

So TG doesn't think the Devils will be paying him. I'm guessing the Hockey news guy just got confused about when VV would come off the cap and stuff and didn't get that they wouldn't pay him.

The way it was written I didn't get the impression that we were out with Schneider, just that we might not make a move unless they call him up on re-entry waivers, which for 2.8/2.9 million for a veteran defenseman that fills some of the needs of the team, I would take it in a second. Though I'm not Lou and who knows if anyone will be able to take big step ups during camp. I wouldn't mind seeing Schneider on the Devils if he gets called up on re-entry waivers.

The way it was written I didn't get the impression that we were out with Schneider, just that we might not make a move unless they call him up on re-entry waivers, which for 2.8/2.9 million for a veteran defenseman that fills some of the needs of the team, I would take it in a second. Though I'm not Lou and who knows if anyone will be able to take big step ups during camp. I wouldn't mind seeing Schneider on the Devils if he gets called up on re-entry waivers.

You make a good point but remember he is injury prone. Look what happen the last couple times we signed guys like this. I'd let the rookies have a chance first.