Langenbrunner and Zubrus Drop the Gloves

nmigliore

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised at some of the negativity about all of this.

Whether it was a macho pissing match, or a heated, toe-to-toe slugfest (doubt it), it's emotion....something everyone here was vocal about this club lacking last year. Let's hope it spills over into tomorrow afternoon, and such and such.

Langenbrunner and Zubrus fight in New Jersey Devils' scrimmage

by Rich Chere

Friday September 26, 2008, 11:39 AM

With coach Brent Sutter and general manager Lou Lamoriello watching, the Devils split up their training camp roster and held a scrimmage Friday morning at their Prudential Center practice rink.

The highlight of the 60-minute game (two 30-minute periods of running time) was a fight between captain Jamie Langenbrunner and right winger Dainius Zubrus. Both landed several soft punches and it was Zubrus and the red squad which emerged with a 3-2 victory in the game.

"I'm not picking on anybody," Zubrus said afterwards with a smile. "He came across and ran into me. I gave him a shot and he gave it back."

No hard feelings.

"No big deal," Langenbrunner said. "Just playing. I wanted the Gordie Howe hat trick, so I started with that (a fight). I used to fight regularly."

http://www.nj.com/devils/

Chalk up one vote from me that this is a bad thing.

Its only preseason but I don't think its good to have a team so bottled up with emotions that they feel the need to lash out at each other all the time as some sort of release. Its especially bad if there's some legit bad blood between the two. And if Langs did it as a way to get his team emotionally fired up, unless Zubrus was slacking or and Langs was trying to keep him accountable and things escalated its pretty bush league in my opinion.

If Langs instigated this, good for him, it's repentance for his "purse fight" against Gomez during the playoffs that set hockey back 25 years.

If Zubie instigate this, that's pretty interesting. I don't have a problem with these things as long as it's not in the "Bill Guerin kicks the sh!t out of minor leaguer when he was with the Stars" kind of thing.

The tam was awfully soft in the playoff series against the Rangers. There should've been a bench clearing brawl or two in this series and we didn't see the Devils respond. I'm glad the intensity is this high in the preseason, let's hope we'll see some old time hockey this year from the Devils and they (especially Langs, the C) won't tolerate pushing and shoving on any of our players (especially Marty) and pay back if something like that happens.

I can't tell if this is a serious suggestion or not

After what Avery did, he should've been left on the ice bleeding and one of our players should have dropped the gloves with Lundqvist. This is hockey, you have to be aggressive and letting punks like Avery get into your goalie's head like that is absolutely unacceptable. They didn't give him the lesson he deserved.

Imagine Scotty Stevens being on the ice seeing some a$$hole waving his stick before Brodeur's head. Sean's career would likely be over now.

After what Avery did, he should've been left on the ice bleeding and one of our players should have dropped the gloves with Lundqvist. This is hockey, you have to be aggressive and letting punks like Avery get into your goalie's head like that is absolutely unacceptable. They didn't give him the lesson he deserved.

Imagine Scotty Stevens being on the ice seeing some a$$hole waving his stick before Brodeur's head. Sean's career would likely be over now.

Remember the Hurricanes series in '01? Scotty was just game hunting there, imagine what he could do if he was pissed off.

Yup, that's great, so a few of our enforcers leave the bench and go and get maybe 1 or 2 sucker punches in on Avery and then get an automatic game misconduct, minor penalty and oh yeah 10 game suspension. So now Avery is free for the rest of the series to do what ever the fvck he want's because the only players we have to shut him down are watching the game from home. Good plan coach, that will teach him.

You're exaggerating. Let's say it the other way: you leave Avery be, nobody fights him, let him do what he wants. Great, let him hit Marty. Defending your goalie makes no sense at all.

The NHL is softer than it was before, unfortunately. A few years back beating sh!t ouf of Avery would be a natural reaction to such act. Times have changed, I guess.

Edited by Revan

it's certainly possible i am wrong, but:

the devils POUNDED sean avery - they did everything short of sucker punch him or tie-domi-to-scott-niedermayer-him. on gomez's key goal in game 5, where is john madden? oh that's right, trying to get YET ANOTHER shot in on avery, whom he had hit hard at least once that shift and possibly twice. avery took an absolute beating in the playoffs until his spleen gave out.

anyway, re: this fight - i can recall stevens doing similar things, and certainly scrums in scrimmages aren't uncommon.

Edited by Triumph

You're exaggerating. Let's say it the other way: you leave Avery be, nobody fights him, let him do what he wants. Great, let him hit Marty. Defending your goalie makes no sense at all.

The NHL is softer than it was before, unfortunately. A few years back beating sh!t ouf of Avery would be a natural reaction to such act. Times have changed, I guess.

uh...

70.10 Fines and SuspensionsThe first player or goalkeeper to leave the players’ or penalty bench during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next ten (10) regular League and/or Play-off games of his team. The second player or goalkeeper to leave the players’ or penalty bench during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next five (5) regular League and/or Play-off games. The determination as to which players (or goalkeepers) shall be deemed the first or second players to have left their respective players’ or penalty benches shall be made by the Referees in consultation with the Linesmen and off-ice officials. In the event that they are unable to identify the offending players, the matter will be referred to the Commissioner or his designee and such determinations may be made subsequently based on reports and other information including but not limited to television tapes.

I think it's funny when people say "man if Stevens or Dano were here Avery would never have been able to get away with what he did". If those two played against Avery and did even 1/10th the stuff people are asking they would have had their asses in the penalty box while Avery roamed free to do whatever he pleased on the following play. How quick we forget his antics were when the devils were shorthanded. What exactly was Scotty going to do from there? throw a water bottle?

And before you hint at it, at best it's an automatic 5 game suspension to leave the penalty box.

Edited by squishyx

Not exaggerating, you're not allowed to clear the benches anymore

That is the truth. I can't imagine, lets say, someone doing that to Ed Belfour in the early 90's and not seeing Probert get involved somehow. But it is a different era now.

Edit... then again, Belfour would probably just deck someone if they were doing that to him.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Okay, you're apparently right about the bench clearing situations. But I still think the Devils should've responded to Avery's 'antics' with at least dropping the gloves and they didn't do that. One of the Devils on the ice should've done it.

Back on topic: I have no problems with players fighting in scrimmages, if the players are willing to fight their teammates or at least know how to respond, they will know what to do when things get hot in regular games.