Brodeur Likes Idea of Goaltenders as Captains

95Crash

"It's about time they're recognizing the goalies," Brodeur said at Wednesday's morning skate, before the Devils' 3-0 preseason victory over the New York Islanders at Nassau Coliseum. "It's kind of nice, you know? They went out and picked the guy that they thought was the best leader to lead their team."

Link

I think that they should let goalies officially be captains. There are many advantages to this; a goalie can see the game from a very unique perspective, is usually on the ice for the full 60 minutes and oftentimes in better position to evaluate the performance of his team on the ice. Also, for a number of teams, the goalie is their star player (case and point Brodeur) so it seems rather silly to deny the most qualified individual the chance to be captain. Another thing and I know very different games, but still, a goalie captain in soccer is pretty much the norm and they still have to perform some of the major functions, like talk to the referee, etc across a much bigger playing field

The goaltenders have way too much to worry about from a preparation standpoint anyway. Plus, the goaltender is not on the bench - how can the verbal leader motivate guys on the bench? This has to be a position player as much as I think Brodeur deserves the captaincy. And who cares? We all know he is the unofficial captain of the Devils anyway.

The goaltenders have way too much to worry about from a preparation standpoint anyway. Plus, the goaltender is not on the bench - how can the verbal leader motivate guys on the bench? This has to be a position player as much as I think Brodeur deserves the captaincy. And who cares? We all know he is the unofficial captain of the Devils anyway.

Exactly so there is no need to give him the C. Plus the position player can lead by example better than a goalie.

A rule is a rule, but I personally think its outdated and it wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game that much if the goaltenders skated over to talk to the referees every once in a while. All the other issues listed of not being on the bench etc, it should be up to the team to evaluate whether these are potentials problems. I just feel like if the team decides to put a C on their goalie, they should be legally allowed to do so.

Nick Kypryos went off on Vancouver for naming a Goalie the captain. Basically saying the goalie isn't involved in the game as much as all the other players and can't lead them the way a forward or defensemen can.

:blink: The goaltender is the most important player on the ice, and he handles the puck more than any other player, who is this Kypreos ? ( I know who he is) is he Canada's version of Buccigross=clueless about hockey :doh1:

Except Kypreos is right. The goalie is a separate entity on the team. The goalie has to focus on his own thing. The goalie isn't talking about how to forecheck better when he needs to be working on the other teams shooters.

But he is telling his teammates what he see's and what he thinks the team needs to change in the game. He's yelling at the D where to move and what not. If any player keeps doing something wrong, the goalie see's it and says something about it.

And I suppose the goalie is also around the bench so the coach can tell him what to talk to the ref about? I guess the goalie has a great vantage point of what is going on at the other end of the ice?

It just doesn't make anywhere near as much sense to have a goalie as a captain over a skater. Being a captain or alternate lets you talk to the referees, that's the only difference between those guys and regular players. Any leader isn't going to not lead because he doesn't have a letter on his chest.

I don't get why they won't let the Goalie just wear the 'C' and have the two Alternates talk to the ref.

Right now the Canucks are saying Luongo is the captain, who can't officialy wear the 'C', and they will have 3 players wearing an 'A' who will talk to the ref. So what is the big deal about just letting Luongo wear the C. He doesn't have to talk to the ref, just give him the honour like Varitek wearing a 'C' for the Sox.

My problem with the goalie being the captain is that on a night when your goalie is sitting for your backup (on an average team, where the backup could play 20+ games), your captain is on the bench the whole game. Now obviously captains get injured and sometimes aren't there...but I just don't think it's appropriate to have your captain on the bench. If the goalie is your leader, then he does what he has to do to lead. That being locker room speeches, talking to the coaches if the players have a problem, etc. And I'm sure Marty does that. But it's also nice to have Jamie to take ceremonial faceoffs, talk to the officials on the ice, and the like. This system is good, and I think better than the Canucks' system. Although they're running just like any team without a captain and three A's. So the rule should stay, and if a goalie is your leader, that's fine. He's just not your captain.

Edited by DevilNurn

As others have said, the "C" is just a procedural thing. The "team leader" part of it does not matter from a rulebook standpoint. All that matters, officially, is that the captain and alternates are the only people allowed to talk to the ref. Technically, the ref does not even have to talk to the coach, so part of the captain's responsibilities is to relay communication from the ref to the coach and back. Now every time this happens you have the goalie skating from the create to the bench, to the ref, to the bench, then back to the crease. I'm a goalie and I think it's a stupid idea. You don't have to have a letter on your sweater to be a team leader, or even *the* team leader.

You know I know this is sacrilege to Brodeur, but what about those 5-7 nights a year you grace the bench with your ass ???? You kinda need a Captain who plays every night anyway

(and frankly he fills his ego with enough irrelevant goals and awards.... one less thing to keep him from what the goal SHOULD BE each year :rant:)