Brodeur makes change to familiar mask design

BCdevil

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for all sports & all athletes, I'm not in favor of personalization. That's just me.

I could go for the "30" but the "MB" is just not my kinda thing.

I could have gone for the 30 at the bottom of the mask.. but keep the J.... I still like it..but I know what you mean

for all sports & all athletes, I'm not in favor of personalization. That's just me.

I could go for the "30" but the "MB" is just not my kinda thing.

Marty is pretty big on players marketing themselves (I remember reading something in his book about him not getting a penny for the Puddy episode in Seinfeld). I'd bet this new design is gonna have something to do with the records he should break this year.

And, as Stewie put it....

I Don't Like Change!

Edited by Devil Dan 56

call me crazy...but, I like it. I like the idea of change. The Devils are in a new building, with new players and a new attitude. Let the mask be and it will grow on you. :koolaid: however, if we start the season in the tank...I'm cool with tradition. :whistling:

This league does a terribly crappy job marketing the players themselves unless your name is Crosby. Everyone else is on their own so I don't begrudge Marty's attempt for some self-promotion. Regardless of what it is for, I think the MB30 design looks amateurish.

I kinda liked that Marty still had the same mask design from when he wasn't sure of whether he'd be playing in NJ or Utica. I kinda liked that not many people other than Devils fans knew the meaning behind that horned and tailed J. I kinda liked that Marty was one of the few goalies who didn't always change his mask, and kinda hoped that he'd still be wearing the same design he had back in his Calder season when he broke all of the records in the book in the coming seasons.

I'm not a fan of this, but it also isn't that big of a deal. The M and B on the mask don't matter as long as the Ws keep coming.

MARTY'S BETTER!!!!!

It does look cool with the new design, but like the old one better. Just do not know about the change even though the new logo design and everything looks good. If Brodeur does not do well I can see him going back to the old mask. :P I am sure this has to do with his milestone season coming up, but would like to see him wear his original mask that got him this far.

Don't like it. This looks like it should be promoting a website as a mock up, not worn on the ice by the greatest of all time. The MB30 logo i am fine with as long as it wasn't the primary logo on the mask.

If he was going to change the design, he should have just overhauled the whole thing. Something with 3 Cups, his Dad's image, The Rock, Newark, some pitchforks, fire, etc.

Something tells me this will be short lived, i hope.

Not uncommon for self promotion but very very uncommon coming out the the Devils organization...the logo isn't bad, a bit unbalanced but pretty good (although i don't really get the scales texture)...I've never been the traditionalist when it comes to hockey so it doesn't bother me that he changed the design...it does bother me that he put that logo on it though...it's one thing in the NBA to wear shoes with your logo or a wrist band, or in the NFL with your gloves...even the space on the back of the goalie mask but right on the front really irks me...I'm gonna agree with Crash, maybe they'll lose a few quickly so he'll change it...kind of takes away the whole idea of the Devils always being the team playing for what's on the front of the jersey and not the back....

seems like Marty might be upset with the team's new motto..."Jersey's Team"....he must've voted for "Marty's Team" :D

Edited by UnderDogX

According to TG, Marty's launching a new website MartinBrodeur30. com as well. It looks like this is all in accordance with the records he'll break this year like you guys guessed. Here's the link:

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

I don't know...this is all very strange and very un-Marty like. It really goes against everything he's been saying in the press and Lou's team first philosophy. I know that he totally deserves the recognition, and you have to fight for it in this league. But this still seems like an idea that his brothers came up with or something...

As I said before. The old mask was iconinc. You saw that mask and you knew it was Martin Brodeur's. I don't think any other goalie, save Ed Belfour maybe, has ever had that kind of mask recognition.

Edited by NJTommo44