GDT 10/10/08: Devils VS Islanders 7PM

RunninWithTheDevil

The Islanders should be renamed 'The Team Full of Guys who've played for a lot of teams and you probably couldn't name all of them'

Not a great win, but the signs are there of a very good team. Salmela was a little shaky defensively but I like that shot. White had a terrible game. Clarkson actually seemed to play okay. I liked Langenbrunner's fiestiness.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Islanders should be renamed 'The Team Full of Guys who've played for a lot of teams and you probably couldn't name all of them'

Not a great win, but the signs are there of a very good team. Salmela was a little shaky defensively but I like that shot. White had a terrible game. Clarkson actually seemed to play okay. I liked Langenbrunner's fiestiness.

I really don't like Clarkson's game. I don't think he knows what kind of player he is supposed to be (Keep in mind I didn't watch the team play much last year so I am fairly knew to watching him play). I thought Salvador had a pretty solid game and so did the top two lines. I'm hoping the 4th line can be a little more physical. The combined weight of 700 pounds means nothing if they are not.

Hey guys I missed most of the game, more importantly the devil goals. Is the horn and goal music still the same?

The goal horn is the same, but I'm ecstatic that they've gone back to rock and roll part II after a Devils goal, Magic :dance::boogie::koolaid:

Edited by Neutral Zone Trap

I thought the bright spots tonight were Marty with a solid game, the PK unit was solid and I thought Langs and Zajac were strong. Rolston didn't get a chance to shine on the PP but I feel it will get better. Salmela looks poised for a kid and he will get better as he goes into the season.

You have to give some credit to MacDonald who was solid and kept the game close for a very dis-organized Islanders team.

Elias-Rolston-Gionta : Solid game. Coulda generated more chances I thought but they had good energy..

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner : Good game.. Again I wish this line generated more chances but at least Parise looked like even more amazing and Langenbrunner had alot of feisty-ness.

Pandolfo-Madden-Clarkson : Quality, I guess. Clarkson still looks lost out there skating switching from one side of the rink to the other wing

Rupp-Holik-Zubrus : Crap. Zubrus and Rupp had no energy to start, Zuby stepped it up a bit but Rupp looks like "Blahhh" out there.. Didnt seem like Bobby got many touches with the puck on this line, they didn't generate much and were on the defensive side alot..

Martin-Salvador : Very good.. Martin skated the puck up the ice a ton leading the breakout, I liked it.. Salvador had a great game on defense I thought..

White-Mottau/Salmela : Well White was just awful tonight

Oduya-Mottau/Salmela : Mottau/Oduya/Salmela all had somewhat quiet games, which for at least Mottau is a good thing..

PP - Good

PK - Very good

Goaltending - Very good, were some funny hops off boards and the ice that led to Isles' chances and Marty did his job, especially that great save at the end of the game with his blocker..

-I was a little disappointed with just a 2-1 result, I thought the Devils could've generated more chances (after the 1st period which they controlled) but whatever its only the 1st game and its a 'W'; ill take it.

<br />IYou have to give some credit to MacDonald who was solid and kept the game close for a very dis-organized Islanders team.<br />
<br /><br />I was actually very impressed by him. I think he did as well as any other goalie would have done in his situation. Both of the goals that MacDonald let in were not his fault at all.

The entertainment in the arena has taken a major step backwards if that was even possible.

Sweaty and fat dancing guy, cheerleader (4 new ones) every break, yuk, yuk and triple yuk.

White was brutal, Rupp was attempting the clown roll in the Ice Capades. At least our best players won the game for us.

Brodeurs 1

Islanders 0

This year starting like last year

Did I hear correctly on the radio? R&R Pt. 2?!
OMG PLEASE BE TRUE
ROCK AND ROLL PART 2!

:koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid: :koolaid:

Just back from the game and this was indeed the best surprise of the night - the place was excited when Zach scored for sure, but it ERUPTED for RR Part II.

I have to agree with your individual assessments, although I actually thought the Devils played very well for the most part. This team will score. I never felt like "just get Elias back on the ice so we can see some offense." All 4 lines contributed. The forecheck was also very aggressive. As for "not a great win" - i think that's because mcdonald was pretty good - the devils could've honestly had 2 or 3 more on another night.

re: white - he did have a bad game and I really do have to blame his poor vision. he moved the puck to his blind side often and just didn't see the opposing player there. i could truly see this becoming a greater problem.

Edited by sundstrom

The entertainment in the arena has taken a major step backwards if that was even possible.

Sweaty and fat dancing guy, cheerleader (4 new ones) every break, yuk, yuk and triple yuk.

White was brutal, Rupp was attempting the clown roll in the Ice Capades. At least our best players won the game for us.

Brodeurs 1

Islanders 0

Anyone else catch the guy yelling "We are running out of steam!" during the players intros?

Am I the only one who thinks Parise doesn't get enough ice time. It may just be me but I don't notice him out enough.

Anyway, a little sloppy but a nice W for our first game. Marty was awesome; should have gotten a shutout

Well he logged about 17 minutes, pretty equal to Rolston and Elias and Gio.. Zajac had the most TOI for a forward on NJ with about 19 minutes.. (Martin/Salvador went 20+ to lead the team)

I was at work for the first half of the game. Got home in time to catch the second half. How was the crowd reaction when Marty stopped the penalty shot? Any good Mar-tin! chants? Besides the usual Let's Go Devils! and Rangers Suck! chants, were there any good ones at all during the game?

The first couple of times the dancing dope was funny, the last five hundred it was silly. The marriage proposal was kinda cute given it was a play on the box thing the Devils normally do.

I don't get why only smoke and no fire for the player intros the way they did last year, it's like they were going on the cheap :lol: And speaking of the intros it was kinda awkward they went through the whole lineup first climaxing with Marty, THEN they announced the scratches. Uh gee, you announce the scratches first and finish with Marty!

What does it say that I didn't even notice the change of the goal song? Either that I don't really care about it or that it fit like a glove (likely a combination of both).

As for the game, sloppy and sloppier. Clarkson had his usual silly wraparound attempt from way out when he could have passed to Pando in front of the net, Rupp looked like Charlie Conway in the original Mighty Ducks.

On the good side, I haven't seen Elias drive the net like that in a long time. My Marty comments are in the other thread :P And we should be thankful for the win, given a lot of other favored teams seem to have lost on their Opening Nights.

oh that's right - some guy was dressed as "Green Man" from "Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

that was also pretty funny

Green man was pretty clever...

Best part of the night was Rock and Roll Part II...you can't tell me the goal song doesn't matter after the reaction of the crowd. It feels like something is right in the universe again.

Shirt guy (I'll call him that) must go! Yay for Rock N Roll Part 2! (Is it because Gary Glitter is no longer in jail? :noclue: )

Oh boy! Another marriage proposal at a Devils game!

I liked the new rule not allowing TV timeouts on an icing, but the TV timeouts seemed super long tonight.

Devils fan base must be growing up. I've never sat near so many young obnoxious drunks at a Devils game before. (Maybe I've been lucky) I don't care how drunk you are, I have a problem with anyone yelling "WE WANT THE CUP!" in game 1 of a 82 game season.

As for the dancers, well at least they can dance. (They danced enough tonight.)

Now for the hockey: (Why many of us endured all the other stuff in the first place.)

Nice stop on the penalty shot, Marty then catching the puck with his blocker later in the game. I noticed Zubrus didn't play much in the 3rd was anything said on TV?

There was some sloppy aspects to the game, but I get the feeling the Devils would have lost that game last year. The offence seemed to click times also. Hopefully the Devils play better as they go along.

Edited by Rock

Brodeurs 1

Islanders 0

The entertainment at the arena is at an all time low.

Sweaty fat guy dancing guy, did someone in the Devils management take the whole summer studying Rangers tapes and mold their own dancing larry. Dancing Larry is annoying at MSG..... embarrassing here. Guessing sweaty fat guy has now replaced NJ during media timeouts?

Cheerleaders... there isn't even any entertainment value or "cherrleading" there. Do any of them look at each other and say maybe if we are going to do this, lets all do the same thing, everyone of them is dancing to a different beat. Want to look at half nude women go to Satin Dolls, don't take up media timeouts on the jumbotron when they can be displaying DEVILS.

Contest MC woman........ is she alive? Does she have a pulse? Does anyone really need an index card as a teleprompter to announce a stick shuffle? Though maybe she would get better or be sent to Lowell after pre-season but she apparently is still here...

Did Brett Favre's bikini girls make a wrong turn on the turnpike and end up at the Rock with ZACH ATTACH painted on their stomachs? Bunch of screaming girls everytime Zach came anywhere near them was I at a Hannah Montana concert tonight?

Green Guy......WTF?

Edited by CaptainMadden