GDT 10/13/2008 Devils @ New York Rangers 7:00PM

Confusious

well this place is a bastion of almost sanity.

the devils punted the first half of the game and expected to win the second. it didn't happen. lundqvist is the perfect goalie to go against the devils. the rangers didn't play exceptionally well - they got a lucky goal and 2 PP goals.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A-I think Mads would make a better Captain then Langenbrunner.

B-Tonight just proved, again, that the Rangers are more physical the the Devils. Each time one Devil had the puck, there seemed to be two blueshirts on him to knock it lose. There was hardly anyone around the goal to try a rebound shot, the passing was sloppy and again a Rags player parked himself infront of Marty. Where was Holik or Madden to push these guys down? Were not gonna beat the Rags if we don't get a little more physical and start pushing them around a little more. Hopefully, we can kick the crap out of Atlanta and those ugly unis on Thursday.

You know... I think I would have rather have lost the first two games of the season and won tonight....

Losing to the Rangers just burns.....

I hate cheering on the New Jersey Doormats.

Yeah...Ranger losses ALWAYS kill me. I had my 2-month old baby daughter sleeping on me for a good portion of the game...that at least kept the profanity-spewing to a bare minimum.

Rupp is this team's mascot it seems. Either him or Clarkson, but getting rid of one or both would be addition by subtraction but Clarkson's problem is he's not anything more then a 4th line player playing and asking to overachieve.

Rupp gets a ton of grief given his limited role on the team. The team has a lot more pressing issues. Having Langenbrunner and Gionta as the top two RWs is a major issue. Not having a legit #1 or #2 Centre is a major issue (Zajac is a #3 not a #2 on a serious contender). Playing Rolston at centre instead of wing where he belongs is a major issue. Playing Zubrus on the fourth line given his contarct and potential is a major issue. At least a third and on some nights half the defense is a major issue. Clarkson belongs on the fourth line really, but he and Rupp are very minor issues in the big scheme of things.

People complaining about the lack of creative goals weren't watching the Rags tonight. They scored three goals by putting guys in front and putting the puck at or around the net. That's how we scored our goal and that's how we scored 4 of our 5 goals this season. The Devils just need to keep it simple.

For those of you in panic mode I think you need to step back and take a deep breath. This sucked but the devs looked nervous and way out of it in the first. It wasn't until they settled in the second after the game was essentially over that they finally loosened up and played. And when the did they outshot the rags 11-2 the rest of the period. Hopefully they realize they can at least play with this team. The 3rd goal killed the comeback and its hard to get back up after that. Sutter should be showing tapes of how the Dubinsky line played tomorrow at practice, just get the puck get in front and shoot.

A-I think Mads would make a better Captain then Langenbrunner.

B-Tonight just proved, again, that the Rangers are more physical the the Devils. Each time one Devil had the puck, there seemed to be two blueshirts on him to knock it lose. There was hardly anyone around the goal to try a rebound shot, the passing was sloppy and again a Rags player parked himself infront of Marty. Where was Holik or Madden to push these guys down? Were not gonna beat the Rags if we don't get a little more physical and start pushing them around a little more. Hopefully, we can kick the crap out of Atlanta and those ugly unis on Thursday.

you didn't watch the same game i did.

the rangers are not more physical than the devils. in fact, they were constantly moving out of the way or getting outmuscled in the second half.

you can't move these guys out of the way with crosschecks anymore - you can only hope to get body position on them.

yeah i wasn't impressed by rolston tonight, he really didn't do much. aside from that, i don't think zubrus has actually been that egregiously misused.

Edited by Triumph

well this place is a bastion of almost sanity.

the devils punted the first half of the game and expected to win the second. it didn't happen. lundqvist is the perfect goalie to go against the devils. the rangers didn't play exceptionally well - they got a lucky goal and 2 PP goals.

I said something similiar in my initial post, and it is easy to say that. If this was against another team maybe this place wouldn't be so insane...and I know you are the most level headed guy on the board...sometimes way too much, but this team has lost 12 of the last 14 games since the start of last year. They did get a fluke goal and two power play goals. It was that simple, but it usually is that simple with this team, especially when it is against the Rangers.

Thank you Langs, Drury is a pretty big coward.

Fixed. Drury reminds me of that cheapshot Dan Hinote, with twice the skill however, a nice thundering hit would soon sort him out, Drury, like Hinote hates physical contact.

Edited by Neutral Zone Trap

The problems are beyond the individuals. Its the garbage goal system they are playing. The islanders, and the injured penguin team should have been teams they crushed. But with the system sutter has the players bought into, more shots seem to outweigh good scoring chances. And that doesn't make much sense to me.

Arghhhh, this game was just sooooo disappointing.

As mad as I got while watching this game, I can't kill the Devils too much just yet because that Rangers team was on its game tonight. As a few others have already noted, tonight's game did seem a lot like a replay of last year. The Rags knew wanted they wanted to do against us and they did it. They also played disciplined but tough. ... Exactly the way the Devils used to play them in the late '90s-early '00s. Sorry if that sounds like I am praising them too much -- because like all Devils fans, I hate the Rags.

The Devils just gotta move on from this and find out what kind of team they are gonna be. Hopefully, as the season progresses and we meet up with the Rags again, the Devs will have found themselves and can dicate the play.

I know it's just the third game of the season. I know it's just one loss. I know even with this loss this team is still 2-1-0. And I know by the end of the season that this team will somehow manage to finish with 95+ points.

But I'm not fooled by these guys anymore. Sutter got outcoached by Renney, AGAIN. The Rangers dictated play and tempo for most of the game, AGAIN.

And yeah SD, you said it perfectly...I kept saying to myself "same fvcking team...same fvcking team..."

Oh well, once I sleep on it I'll probably wake up in a better mood. But I've now seen this kind of game too many times since the lockout to think that the Devils are anything more than 95 to 100-point pretenders. I hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are too CR. And I like to give any team about 20-25 games before I even begin to pass any serious judgement. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a tad bit worried. This team does look a LOT like last year's team through 3 games. And for all their talk about how much they are sick of being beaten by the Rangers, they were out-worked and out-played AGAIN by them. It's a bit disturbing to me.

Now, I've read some of the thread and I have to agree with pretty much everyone on this: I have seen postively ENOUGH of David Clarkson. He sucks Brent. Get him the hell out of this lineup and sit his ass in the press box. He brings nothing to the table. Vrana should play until he proves he can't. I also whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment of dropping Langs down with Pando and Madden. Another unimpressive game by Salmela, but I'm willing to give him some more time since this was only his third NHL game. Starting in Atlanta this is the lineup I want to see, and I want to see the same lineup until further notice:

Elias-Rolston-Gionta

Parise-Zajac-Vrana

Pandolfo-Madden-Langs

Rupp-Holik-Zubrus

Martin-Salvador

Oduya-Salmela

White-Mottau

Edited by MadDog2020

I can't believe Clarkson didn't start a fight. He can't fvcking do anything else on skates.

Langs was bad last year and has been bad this year. Even in preseason. The end of that one.

Gionta needs to not shoot. He can't shoot. He could never shoot. He took like three outside shots tonight and they all fvcking stunk. Maybe they should put Rolston on the wing...Elias is better in the crease and Rolston has a better shot. I like Zubrus on that line, even though he blew two close chances tonight, I bet he buries them other nights.

Vrana with Parise and Zajac please. Langs has been letting that line down.

The problems are beyond the individuals. Its the garbage goal system they are playing. The islanders, and the injured penguin team should have been teams they crushed. But with the system sutter has the players bought into, more shots seem to outweigh good scoring chances. And that doesn't make much sense to me.

Arghhhh, this game was just sooooo disappointing.

There are two problems with that. First they don't have the back end support to play that style. As such the puts enormus pressure on the foward sot try and move the puck to find that quality chance. Second the fowards are exactly the hardest to pressure and knock off the puck. The passing on this team is bad and there is a lot of fumbling with the puck (issue #1 with the PP). They don't have time to find that quality opportunity to try and score because if they hold on to the puck too long without shooting they will lose the puck and not get any shot. They are forced to just try and throw the puck at the net and try to get garbage goal. A big problem is nw with the butterfly goaltening style being so prominate and pads are so bigger you don't get those goals you would 10, 15, 20 years ago.

I can't believe Clarkson didn't start a fight. He can't fvcking do anything else on skates.

Langs was bad last year and has been bad this year. Even in preseason. The end of that one.

Gionta needs to not shoot. He can't shoot. He could never shoot. He took like three outside shots tonight and they all fvcking stunk. Maybe they should put Rolston on the wing...Elias is better in the crease and Rolston has a better shot. I like Zubrus on that line, even though he blew two close chances tonight, I bet he buries them other nights.

Vrana with Parise and Zajac please. Langs has been letting that line down.

I would love to trade Langenbrunner back for Arnott. Too bad (Arnott is the captain in Nashville) that is never going to happen. Langenbrunner better get it going. He underachieved last season and not good so far this season.

yeah i wasn't impressed by rolston tonight, he really didn't do much. aside from that, i don't think zubrus has actually been that egregiously misused.

Rolston should be at the wing. Not mis-used? Hes been all over the place. Not once consistently on a line all of last year. And hes not a 4th liner so that whole 700 klub crap isn't going to last (especially with Rupp in there!)

What good is Rolston being on the wing going to do? Then you have to put Elias or Zubrus at center and they aren't all that great there either. I'd just dump Rupp and Clarkson, play Vrana and bring up Leblond to put the fear of god into teams the way the Rangers do us with Avery and Voros.

What good is Rolston being on the wing going to do? Then you have to put Elias or Zubrus at center and they aren't all that great there either. I'd just dump Rupp and Clarkson, play Vrana and bring up Leblond to put the fear of god into teams the way the Rangers do us with Avery and Voros.

No, try Vrana at center. Who really cares? Its worth a shot. If it doesn't work, then whatever.. but i dont think Rolly is gonna be very effective at center, hes bound to have these invisible games.

Rolston-Vrana-Elias

Parise-Zajac-Gionta

Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner

Clarkson-Holik-Zubrus

Or bump up Zajac and put Vrana as the 2nd line center.. I dunno, its mighty difficult when we dont have a #1 or a #2 center.. Zajac at this point is a tweener between 2nd/3rd.

Edited by nmigliore