Curious

PaDevsFan

Before anybody goes off half cocked and says "my god its only 3 games give it a chance yada yada yada" I want to say I realize that.

Now that being said I am just curious, only losing Brylin, and adding Rolston and Holik, wasnt that supposed to bolster our scoring? I watch the games and keep hearing how now the Devils have 2 legitimate scoring lines and have "so much more depth"

Again I know its only 3 games and I am sure we will start scoring, but guys scoring 5 goals in 3 games certainly isnt going to cut it for very long.

Watching that Pitt game I saw so many shots generated, but again how many were "quality shots" how many were good scoring chances??

Honestly though I think we need to give it about 10 - 15 games to see if these guys can get it going and generate some offense before any "real concern sets in" Just making a statement here.

The biggest part of the problem I saw last night is that as much as we've got two very talented top lines and very talented shutdown lines, they don't yet have a cohesive idea of how to work together. The Parise line is the one that worries me the most with regard to this because, while Zach has been on fire and all over the ice doing everything, his linemates have been struggling to keep up and Langenbrunner especially has not been finishing on a lot of the setups he's been getting.

Rolston's game in the last three matches does not inspire confidence. I am sure it is just taking him a little while to get going, but i just dont see 30 goals come out of him. I was saying since the offseason that not much has changed on this team and to expect them to somehow score a whole lot more than last year is quite wishful thinking IMO.

The Parise line is the one that worries me the most with regard to this because, while Zach has been on fire and all over the ice doing everything, his linemates have been struggling to keep up and Langenbrunner especially has not been finishing on a lot of the setups he's been getting.

I completely agree. It looks like Parise is all alone out there everytime he's on the ice, and I feel like we're wasting a ton of talent in Parise by not giving him a supporting cast. Langs looks completely lost, I hope that's just a beginning of the season thing and he shakes out of it. I feel a little better about Zajac, but he hasn't showed the ability to finish a play.

Its only been 3 games and I really dont think there is anything to worry about.. but i think the solution is taking Rupp out... then the lines change significantly..

Zubrus/Holik/Clarkson

Pando/Madden/Langenbrunner

Would be the bottom 2 lines... So that would mean Vrana is in the top 6 and you can shuffle them around anyway you want..

Elias/Rolston/Gionta... I like this line and they should get more of a chance.. but keeping Parise with Zajac is a waste I think So I would put Elias/Zajac/Gionta... Gives them a natural Passer and someone who can play 2 way hockey.

That would leave... Parise/Rolston/Vrana... which would be the fastest line on the ice. Let vrana set up the 2 of them who are 30 goal scorers. You can rotate Vrana and Rolston on W or C... I would probably let Rolston play the wing because that comes more natural to him.

Edited by Jdub

Its only been 3 games and I really dont think there is anything to worry about.. but i think the solution is taking Rupp out... then the lines change significantly..

Zubrus/Holik/Clarkson

Pando/Madden/Langenbrunner

Would be the bottom 2 lines... So that would mean Vrana is in the top 6 and you can shuffle them around anyway you want..

Elias/Rolston/Gionta... I like this line and they should get more of a chance.. but keeping Parise with Zajac is a waste I think So I would put Elias/Zajac/Gionta... Gives them a natural Passer and someone who can play 2 way hockey.

That would leave... Parise/Rolston/Vrana... which would be the fastest line on the ice. Let vrana set up the 2 of them who are 30 goal scorers. You can rotate Vrana and Rolston on W or C... I would probably let Rolston play the wing because that comes more natural to him.

Vrana is not ready for the first line and it's a bad sign if we have a rookie who did not even make the lineup in the first game on our top line.

Gionta simply is not first line material, he does not even fit in with how this team plays. Having Zubrus on the first line is much more productive, because he can shield the puck much more effectively and allow Rolston and Elias to take the shots. Even putting him at center and pushing Rolston to wing would be a good option. Doing this allows Gionta to slide to the third line, and push Clarkson to the fourth.

Elias - Zubrus - Rolston

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Pandolfo - Madden - Gionta

Rupp - Holik - Clarkson

The fourth line is not producing, which is not necessarily a problem but when the first line is not scoring, it is. Zubrus is too good to be thrown on the bottom line. Zubrus and Holik are the two best puck protectors on the team - when theyre on the puck they are extremely difficult to steal it from. Zajac has also done a good job on the puck this season. Keeping the puck is one of the reasons why our offense has not been consistent, it flips around too much and does not allow the team to settle.

Vrana would have cracked the top 12 if there was a need for him.. Rupp filled the physical aspect.. I think Vrana could handle himself playing with skilled players. He's pretty quick and has awesome vision and does things that dont show up on the box score like sutter said..

Letting him play allows Rolston to move to his more natural position. Wing.

Parise has 14 shots on goal through 3 games, Elias 17. Neither of them are lost - especially since they have 4 out of the 5 goals New Jersey has scored. Rolston isn't getting the puck enough, and when he is he's not doing enough with it. There may be too much of an emphasis on shooting the puck when the Devils should be moving it to high scoring areas instead - too many shoot-first players. We'll have to see as the season progresses.

Parise has 14 shots on goal through 3 games, Elias 17. Neither of them are lost - especially since they have 4 out of the 5 goals New Jersey has scored. Rolston isn't getting the puck enough, and when he is he's not doing enough with it. There may be too much of an emphasis on shooting the puck when the Devils should be moving it to high scoring areas instead - too many shoot-first players. We'll have to see as the season progresses.

Rolston looks like he is trying very hard to score that first one and get it out of the way.

maybe we'll score more goals this year. maybe the PP will improve (eventually). but one thing is for sure, the Devils vs. Rangers looked exactly the fvcking same as it did last year. arg.

Friggin Queen owns us.

Friggin Queen owns us.

It tends to be the butterfly goalies with the big pads in general. The Devils score a lot of their goals close in and down low so the guys who just flop onto pads that cover the entire bottom of the net with no 5 hole are harder on the Devils.

It tends to be the butterfly goalies with the big pads in general. The Devils score a lot of their goals close in and down low so the guys who just flop onto pads that cover the entire bottom of the net with no 5 hole are harder on the Devils.

Rolston was supposed to help fix this problem, but with Elias and Gionta seemingly shooting whenever they get it from wherever on the ice, that's not going to go away - Elias should be setting people up, not loading up shot after shot. The only pass-first player we have now is Dainius Zubrus who spends half the game on the 4th line.

I'm beginning to be concerned - though again, I'd like to see how New Jersey plays against the Rangers in a re-match. When you spend the first half of the game skating in mud and spot the Rangers 2 goals, it's hard to see how the team is actually playing.

Edited by Triumph

Rolston was supposed to help fix this problem, but with Elias and Gionta seemingly shooting whenever they get it from wherever on the ice, that's not going to go away - Elias should be setting people up, not loading up shot after shot. The only pass-first player we have now is Dainius Zubrus who spends half the game on the 4th line.

I'm beginning to be concerned - though again, I'd like to see how New Jersey plays against the Rangers in a re-match. When you spend the first half of the game skating in mud and spot the Rangers 2 goals, it's hard to see how the team is actually playing.

Ya well hopefully we'll see Elias move back to center soon, where he was one of the better playmakers in the league, and Rolston can go back to wing where he can bomb it a lot.

Come on guys lets not be too critical after just three games. Lets give them a chance. Against Pittsburgh we had 40 plus shots and on another night if we had a bit more luck we may have scored 5 or 6. We have to give them time to gel.

Thats my opinion anyway

What I couldn't inderstand last night was why they kept shooting it at his pads. He clearly wasn't giving anything up down low so why didn't they try to shoot high on him. Rolston tried I guess but still. We may be shooting a lot, but they are not good shots.

Also, let's not forget that our penalty "kill" has given up 4 goals in 3 games...

What I couldn't inderstand last night was why they kept shooting it at his pads. He clearly wasn't giving anything up down low so why didn't they try to shoot high on him. Rolston tried I guess but still. We may be shooting a lot, but they are not good shots.

Also, let's not forget that our penalty "kill" has given up 4 goals in 3 games...

and the Rangers havent given up *any*.

Come on guys lets not be too critical after just three games. Lets give them a chance. Against Pittsburgh we had 40 plus shots and on another night if we had a bit more luck we may have scored 5 or 6. We have to give them time to gel.

Thats my opinion anyway

Like I said originally 40 shots but how many quality?? And as far as luck goes, if it is luck we are waiting for to score goals then it will be a long season.

But again I know we need to give it time, I am just seeing alot of the same thing we have been accustomed to over the last 2 yrs or so. I just thought the addition of a few guys may make us somewhat more of a threat to put a few in each night.