Letter to Philadelphia

njdevil26

second response from Chris at the Devils

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are sorry to hear of your poor experience in Philadelphia. We appreciate your interest, comments, and mostly your support of the New Jersey Devils.

Best regards,

Chris

Christopher Modrzynski

Sr. EVP/Chief Operating Officer

(973) 757-6100

he doesn't care either

nor do i sh!t like this happens and i don't mean to sound heartless but deal with it.

Don't listen to him, he's had too much of the herb.

into acid now a days.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is about everywhere. I have a few friends in Ottawa who went to Buffalo in 2007 for the ECF and got abused to no end. After Ottawa scored a girl who was a Sabres fan tried to dump a beer on the guy's 12-year-old cousin but slightly missed, so she yells for the beer hawker to get her another beer and proceeds to dump it right on his head to make sure she got him completely soaked. We're talking about a 12-year-old too. All the fans around were cheering and going nuts.

You could come up with stories anywhere, but it's far more consistent in Philly. Triumph's more right than anyone wants to admit here, Philly glorifies intimidation. It is a not-so-subtle way of keeping opposition fans out of the arena or at least quieting them down.

nor do i sh!t like this happens and i don't mean to sound heartless but deal with it.

Have you ever been threatened or attacked in an arena before?

Edited by NJDevs26

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are sorry to hear of your poor experience in Philadelphia. We appreciate your interest, comments, and mostly your support of the New Jersey Devils.

Best regards,

Chris

Christopher Modrzynski

(973) 757-6100

he doesn't care either

What do you expect the Devils to do? Bring their own security to Philadelphia to protect you? I don't even get the point of sending them the letter. If I got harassed at Best Buy because I was there to buy the new South Park DVD, why would I send a letter to Trey Parker?

The letter from Fuchs trying to get you to buy tickets is pretty much the equivalent of giving you the middle finger. What a joke, but at the same time a middle finger is an extremely Philly thing to respond with. As for the letter from Chris with the Devils, well, there really isn't much he can do or say about the situation. At least he responded, I guess.

I'm anxious to see if you get any responses from the newspapers. Emailing the Ledger was a good idea. I can't find anything for the Sports Editor at the Record, but Tom Gulitti's email addy is gulitti@northjersey.com. It probably isn't worth it to bother with the Asbury Park Press ... they get all of their pro sports stuff from the Associated Press now and pretty much focus all their attention on high school stuff. But if you should feel so inclined, their sports editor Kevin Steimle's email is ksteimle@app.com.

Dear Andrew,

Best regards,

Chris

Christopher Modrzynski

(973) 757-6100

he doesn't care either

He might care, but there is nothing that he can do about it. It didn't happen in his arena so he has no control over the situation.

The Record's email is pretty simple: letterstotheeditor@northjersey.com. I've had many letters published in that paper. I would alter your letter a little bit to include a portion of the response you received from the Flyers. Let everyone know how little the Flyers cared about your personal experience.

Well I sent the letter as-is to TG and added a sort of preface to it to introduce the scenario to him.

i hope he gets it i would love to read it on Fire and Ice, but that sucks man, i know when i went to the Rock i got patted down, same thing at Buff and Ottawa and even when i saw the Devils play preseason one time in Albany

Edited by Cal914

that was a really well written letter and i really hope that the letter can make it into the right hands and something can be done. i was so pissed off when the smoke bomb went off, i was furious that, even though it was just a smoke/stink bomb, a device like that could make its way into a packed arena, what if it was something more that smoke, what if that had been a chunk of dynamite of a grenade. what ever i dont want to rank, but im still upset about it. i want to be in safe enviroment when i am at a arena, not a enviorment where a thing that is the size of a chunk of dynamite and looks like an explosive is brought into a arena

You could come up with stories anywhere, but it's far more consistent in Philly. Triumph's more right than anyone wants to admit here, Philly glorifies intimidation. It is a not-so-subtle way of keeping opposition fans out of the arena or at least quieting them down.

Have you ever been threatened or attacked in an arena before?

i've seen more devils games at the garden then the meadowlands and the rock. so yes i have been threatened.

Something I just thought of while watching the baseball game last night ... maybe security was more lax than usual because all hands were on deck across the street in preparation for the World Series game about to get started?

I'm not making excuses here. There's no way a fvcktard with a road flare should ever be able to get past security and no way anyone should be subjected to that kind of abuse in any arena. Just kinda curious as to whether there would have actually been some kind of security presence at the arena if the World Series wasn't hogging all the man power.

the manager of the TB Rays was complaining about how his and the players families were treated during the WS game, getting sh!t thrown at them and such. so it's not just a flyers thing, same with the eagles.

i remember hearing a great story about the eagles fans. for those that remember, the dallas cowboys had this black guy who dressed up like a cowboy and was at all of the games basically being a cheerleader. he went to the vet for a game and apparently got jumped by a lot of people and worked over pretty good. the eagles execs were apologetic and as a gesture of good will they invited him back the next season to stay with them. as he was walking with these guys through the stadium some little old lady approached to talk to him. she looked him over and angrily said "didn't we kick your ass last year". that is the philadelphia sports fan.

that whole city, as far as sports fans go, is one giant cesspool. they are the lowest class of people.

Wow - that shows they didn't even give the letter to someone in an executive position - an "account manager" is just one of their paid staff who sells tickets!

I don't know if this will help... the Flyers game director used to hold the same position with the Devils. You may try sending it to him. I don't know if there is much that he can do, but at the very least, he's higher up than a friggin account manager. Judging by the Flyer's response they were pretty clearly trying to sell you tickets from the start - it's disgusting!

Anyway, his name is Anthony Gioia and I believe his email would be agioia@philadelphiaflyers.com (that's a guess based on the general format of their emails).

That Fuchs f@g should have comp'd your tickets and gave you free tickets to the next Devils/Flyers game at the Wachovia Center. You should have threatened them with a lawsuit for your friend that got hit in the head. Theres no *CAUTION* Beer bottles may leave the ice surface and be projected into the crowd, warnings... :unsure: Philly sucks in general, Id be pretty pissed off too if I were you.

Edited by BlizzardCyclone

That Fuchs f@g should have comp'd your tickets and gave you free tickets to the next Devils/Flyers game at the Wachovia Center. You should have threatened them with a lawsuit for your friend that got hit in the head. Theres no *CAUTION* Beer bottles may leave the ice surface and be projected into the crowd, warnings... :unsure: Philly sucks in general, Id be pretty pissed off too if I were you.

I'm just starting to calm down, really. From Saturday night til yesterday I was running around this forum looking for people to be mad with me. I was incensed. And honestly, I'm not even looking for free tickets. I don't want to go to that place ever again.

I'd take them, sell them, and buy tickets at the Prudential Center. Or hell, at this point I'd go to a Rangers game! Their fans aren't so bad after this.

I'm just starting to calm down, really. From Saturday night til yesterday I was running around this forum looking for people to be mad with me. I was incensed. And honestly, I'm not even looking for free tickets. I don't want to go to that place ever again.

I'd take them, sell them, and buy tickets at the Prudential Center. Or hell, at this point I'd go to a Rangers game! Their fans aren't so bad after this.

Philly Sucks in general. On a side note, heres an excerpt from NHL.com on the incident which can be found here: NHL.com

Terrible behavior -- For better or worst, Philadelphia fans have gained a reputation as a rowdy, obnoxious bunch.

Some of it's deserved (throwing batteries at J.D. Drew for not signing with the Phillies after they took him second in the MLB Draft), while some has become urban legend (yes, they booed Santa Claus, but people at the Eagles game that day said he was drunk and disorderly); either way, Philadelphia fans are passionate for their sports teams, and have no problem expressing their joy or displeasure.

But Saturday, they went too far when some miscreant lobbed a smoke bomb onto the Wachovia Center ice during a replay review in overtime Saturday against the Devils.

The bomb, which was shaped like a road flare, landed in the Devils' zone and skidded near the Devils' bench. Flyers captain Mike Richards tapped it with his stick, which caused plumes of sour-smelling smoke to billow out. Flyers defenseman Ossi Vaananen then carried the bomb out to the Zamboni chute at the other end of the ice, leaving a smoke trail that enveloped both benches and caused about a 5-minute stoppage.

Both benches were cleared, with the Devils obviously getting the worst of it.

"I sent our guys out (on the ice) because we couldn't breathe," said Devils coach Brent Sutter. "Just told them to go out to the other side of the ice and we (the coaches) went down the tunnel."

Patrik Elias, who complained of a sore throat and a headache from the smoke, said it reminded him a soccer match in Italy, where that kind of behavior is more frequent. He also said the Italian soccer authorities had the right solution.

"Maybe they should do the same thing that they do in Italy when they throw the flares -- one-game misconduct for fans so they can't come in," he said.

Sadly enough, Saturday's fiasco wasn't the first flare-related incident at a Philadelphia sporting event. During a Monday Night Football game in 1997 at Veterans Stadium, an Eagles fan shot off a flare gun, with the incendiary device landing in the upper deck of the stadium. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

^^ That last paragraph alone tells you how much Philly Fans Blow.

the manager of the TB Rays was complaining about how his and the players families were treated during the WS game, getting sh!t thrown at them and such. so it's not just a flyers thing, same with the eagles.

i remember hearing a great story about the eagles fans. for those that remember, the dallas cowboys had this black guy who dressed up like a cowboy and was at all of the games basically being a cheerleader. he went to the vet for a game and apparently got jumped by a lot of people and worked over pretty good. the eagles execs were apologetic and as a gesture of good will they invited him back the next season to stay with them. as he was walking with these guys through the stadium some little old lady approached to talk to him. she looked him over and angrily said "didn't we kick your ass last year". that is the philadelphia sports fan.

that whole city, as far as sports fans go, is one giant cesspool. they are the lowest class of people.

Agreed. Went to a game in Wachovia Center 2 seasons ago. It was towards the end of the year, and they were in DEAD LAST. We got tickets in a luxury box for like 60 bucks each for an Isles-Flyers game. And, after the Islanders (of all teams) beat them, some little 8 year old brat was cursing at us with his dad right next to him (my friends are Isles fans). Classy group.

Agreed. Went to a game in Wachovia Center 2 seasons ago. It was towards the end of the year, and they were in DEAD LAST. We got tickets in a luxury box for like 60 bucks each for an Isles-Flyers game. And, after the Islanders (of all teams) beat them, some little 8 year old brat was cursing at us with his dad right next to him (my friends are Isles fans). Classy group.

Yea they start them off early down there. I was at Brodeur's 500th win down there last year and I had a bunch of little kids cursing at me. I found it pretty funny because if I wanted to I could have punted them out of their daddy's hands and all the way across the arena. Personally I don't have a problem with people saying stuff to me because really what are they going to say that is going to hurt? I got an empty cup thrown at me for making fun of a guy who left early once the Devils went up by like 4, but whatever. If someone threw a beer at me and bumped into me on the concourse then I'd be pretty pissed off.