Philadelphia Phillies

Verran12

I LOVE the bitterness...makes me even MORE happy to see this result!

Good for the long and suffering city...give me some hope

The Rays won 97 games in the best division in baseball bar none and now they are nothing? WOW

Two great posts by a very smart man. :clap:

Jeez.. we got some nasty people on this board, huh?

Speaking of which, I hope the world drops a bomb on Philly.

Well, that means that all the Devil fans would probably be killed too, haha

The same goes for any NY team. Ranger$-Knick$-Giant$-Yankee$. The other respectable NY teams who have respectable-fair payrolls I don't mind-Jets-Islanders-Mets.

How any Devil fan can follow the Giants or Yankees is beyond me-reeks of hypocrisy/bandwagonery.

I guess you forgot the Devils were the team they said would suffer the most when the salary cap was being introduced, because of their big payroll. Obviously the Devils' situation is different than the Rangers' - Jersey is much smarter with its money and Lou rarely hands a huge contract to anyone, but hey - the team spends its cash to the maximum level allowed every year and they just put lots of $$$ in building a state-of-art arena. So don't make it look like the Devils were a poor team barely affording to stay in the NHL. :noclue:

IMO a fan of a NJ team (Devils-Nets) should never support the evil blue of NY (Mets-Isles not included-they play in a blue that can be tolerated)

:blahblah:

Oh, and I wonder how you felt when the YankeeNets were owning not only the Devils and the Nets, but also these "axis of evil" Yankees and Giants. :giggle: The Devils were officially associated with the biggest evil in the universe, after all!

PS. And to make it clear: I'm not an angry NYY/NYG fanboy defending his teams. I totally don't care about football and when it comes to baseball, I watched a game or two last year just to check it out. I like the Yanks, but I'm far from calling myself a fan - I don't really follow the team (although I might start doing so). Basketball doesn't bother me either (though if I had to pick an NBA team, I'd most probably go with the Nets).

But I cannot imagine myself rooting for a Philly team. :P

Edited by Revan

The same goes for any NY team. Ranger$-Knick$-Giant$-Yankee$. The other respectable NY teams who have respectable-fair payrolls I don't mind-Jets-Islanders-Mets.

How any Devil fan can follow the Giants or Yankees is beyond me-reeks of hypocrisy/bandwagonery.

IMO a fan of a NJ team (Devils-Nets) should never support the evil blue of NY (Mets-Isles not included-they play in a blue that can be tolerated)

...?? I dont get it, who made you the decider of whose a fan of who? Im a Devils fan and a NY fan (the Mets) too, but thats pretty lame to knock the fans (who are also Devils fans) of the Yanks, Giants, and/or Knicks. I dont see how it would be "bandwagonery" with the Giants, have they won SO much in the past decade? Knicks havent won sh!t i dont even know if a Knicks bandwagon exists.. the Yanks are the only *possible* bandwagonery team there, but you still cant really knock the fans that cheer for them and call them that

Edited by nmigliore

• 1 month later...

Bump for gloating purposes. ;) (I was busy, okay!)

2008 World Series Champions!!!!

:boogie:

...I like Utley and wish them well but ... congrats to a great Phillies team.
Congrats phillies.
Not much to hate about this team. Congrats too Matty Stairs.
Not a fan of the Phillies but it was good to see a team without a mega payroll win, especially with a lot of home grown talent. They deserved the win.

Thanks for your support.

Speaking of which, I hope the world drops a bomb on Philly.

See. The city itself tried this 22 years ago and it still didn't work. So, I guess you should hope for other means of intimidation...

Verran: Love ya brother! Way to be with the early prediction. Even I didn't believe at the time! :boogie:

Going to have to make a new thread in April.

Looks like the Mets are the favorites for the East this year, wait haven't they been the last two years.

KRod needs to quiet down. All of the Mets do. After what's happened the last two years I don't want to hear a word from these guys. For all of the dancing and histronics that do much more bad than good (teams that have nothing to play for get up to play the Mets because of that crap), how about just going out there and FINDING A WAY TO WIN IN THE CLUTCH!

If they don't find a way to get into the playoffs and make some noise, someone will pay. I'm guessing it will be one of the previously untouchables (Wright or Reyes).

Going to have to make a new thread in April.

Looks like the Mets are the favorites for the East this year, wait haven't they been the last two years.

Im verry happy KRod said something.. Carlos Beltran coming out and saying that last year made me laugh; he hides his emotions often.. KRod is a fiery guy on the mound, its gonna be fun watching him celebrate after closing out the Phillies.

Im verry happy KRod said something.. Carlos Beltran coming out and saying that last year made me laugh; he hides his emotions often.. KRod is a fiery guy on the mound, its gonna be fun watching him celebrate after closing out the Phillies.

I can promise you that K-Rod will be one of the most hated Mets for the 09 season. Right up there with Jose Reyes. I think K-Rod is the biggest piece of sh*t of all the closers in the MLB, why does he feel the need to gloat after just a regular save. Passion and cockiness are two totally different things.

I can promise you that K-Rod will be one of the most hated Mets for the 09 season. Right up there with Jose Reyes. I think K-Rod is the biggest piece of sh*t of all the closers in the MLB, why does he feel the need to gloat after just a regular save. Passion and cockiness are two totally different things.

Verran, if KRod was playing for your team, you probably wouldn't mind KRod's antics as much. Human nature.

But it's like I said, this Mets group has won exactly one division title. No pennants. No World Series. Two unbelievable collapses, one of which was historically THE WORST EVER. Yeah, KRod's won, but he needs to realize that the enough teams hate the Mets that to fire anyone up any further is just stupid at this point. These guys haven't earned the right to talk the talk when they haven't come close to walking the walk.

You know when I want to see Jose Reyes dance? When he's actually won something. These guys act like they've achieved so much more than they have. If they're excited about the upcoming season, good for them, but how about laying low and going out there and taking care of business, for once? The other approach sure ain't working for them.

Verran, if KRod was playing for your team, you probably wouldn't mind KRod's antics as much. Human nature.

But it's like I said, this Mets group has won exactly one division title. No pennants. No World Series. Two unbelievable collapses, one of which was historically THE WORST EVER. Yeah, KRod's won, but he needs to realize that the enough teams hate the Mets that to fire anyone up any further is just stupid at this point. These guys haven't earned the right to talk the talk when they haven't come close to walking the walk.

You know when I want to see Jose Reyes dance? When he's actually won something. These guys act like they've achieved so much more than they have. If they're excited about the upcoming season, good for them, but how about laying low and going out there and taking care of business, for once? The other approach sure ain't working for them.

If Reyes acts calm and humble he'll be batting below .250.. that approach failed awhile ago.

I cant stand any of these NL East teams.. let them hate, im fine with the cheering, it doesn't really mean anything but excitement and happiness to me.. like when Reyes hit that big HR to give the Mets the lead vs PHI; he stook his hand in the hair and apparently that was a huge problem with the Phillies and that idiot announcer who said someone should "put one in his neck". Well fvck them if they wanna cry about it.

If Reyes acts calm and humble he'll be batting below .250.. that approach failed awhile ago.

I cant stand any of these NL East teams.. let them hate, im fine with the cheering, it doesn't really mean anything but excitement and happiness to me.. like when Reyes hit that big HR to give the Mets the lead vs PHI; he stook his hand in the hair and apparently that was a huge problem with the Phillies and that idiot announcer who said someone should "put one in his neck". Well fvck them if they wanna cry about it.

It's not so much about other teams crying about it. It's more about giving teams extra incentive to beat the Mets. The Nationals, Marlins and Braves take too much pleasure in beating the Mets and get waaaaaaaaaaaay up for playing the Mets while they're in "playing out the string" mode against other teams. That would be fine if the Mets actually showed the slightest ability to rise up to that challenge. But we've seen what happens: they fold and fold big time. What good does it do to fire up other teams when you're not good enough to beat them when it counts?

I'm not asking Reyes and Co. to be calm and humble so much...I want them to focus on the task and hand and just go about the business of winning ballgames. Play with a quiet but fervent intensity. Worry more about clutch hitting and getting it done and less about intricate dance moves in the dugout. Like I said...that stuff's a lot more tolerable when you win. When you lose it just looks stupid.

Anyway don't want to hijack V12's thread here, so enough about the Mets. Still lots of offseason to get through anyway.

Yeah OK. If K-Rod was on your team you wouldn't mind it al all. CMON now. :P

If I am not mistaken, Brad Lidge is a very emotional closer too and showed many times after a save in the regular season last year. All these closers do it just to pump themelves up. K-Rod is not the only one.

the funny part is if we had a closer last year that was healthy through the whole year, we would have been the team to beat and would have at least won the division by like what.. 10, 11 games? So your statement, while obviously being sarcastic, is kinda true.. Having a great closer (or two ;)) makes a big difference.

That's not 100% true. One Ayala became the closer-by-default, he went 9-for-11 in save oppotunities. They weren't always pretty, and his individual numbers weren't anything to crow about, but in terms of actually blowing games he wasn't that bad.

Even if Wagner had remained, the rest of that pen (most of em) pitched SO badly I'm not sure the Mets could have overcome them all.

That's not 100% true. One Ayala became the closer-by-default, he went 9-for-11 in save oppotunities. They weren't always pretty, and his individual numbers weren't anything to crow about, but in terms of actually blowing games he wasn't that bad.

Even if Wagner had remained, the rest of that pen (most of em) pitched SO badly I'm not sure the Mets could have overcome them all.

Fine. Add in Putz as well and there you have it.

And Ayala wasn't the only closer.. they tried Heilman, Sanchez, Show.. everyone pretty much and they just kept blowing saves, and thats not counting their suckiness in the 7th or 8th innings.. Ayala was just a late addition who did pretty fair, although even those 2 blown saves cost us a playoff spot.

Edited by nmigliore

Fine. Add in Putz as well and there you have it.

And Ayala wasn't the only closer.. they tried Heilman, Sanchez, Show.. everyone pretty much and they just kept blowing saves, and thats not counting their suckiness in the 7th or 8th innings.. Ayala was just a late addition who did pretty fair, although even those 2 blown saves cost us a playoff spot.

That's my point, and yours too, in a way. It's not just the 9th inning blown leads...it's the 8th inning and 7th inning ones that went bye-bye.

What I'm basically saying is that, as far as the definition of a 9th-inning closer goes, the Mets weren't that bad once Wagner went down. But yeah, almost to a man, everyone in that 'pen was a colossal failure at various points, and far too memorably.