Full morning skate today; Bergfors in, Halischuk out

SC Devs Fan

Hali was very lost on Toronto's 5th goal. He ended up behind the net as a winger with no Leaf around him when the puck went into the net. He traveled east/west a lot before that too in the defensive zone.

That'll happen from a 18 or 19 year old or whatever he is. He def showed some other signs though. Like the goal in the first period (could have been maybe the 2nd goal) he had a great forecheck in the corner to keep the puck into the zone, and then he went for a change to get Gionta on the ice who then made that really slick move behind the net.

Hali looked so good.... meh.

To be honest no he didn't . He showed good offensive instincts but struggled a lot in the Devils zone. As pointed out he looked lost there. When the Devils were pinned in their zone often times Halischuk was out on the ice. Some of these struggles are to be expected though out of a young player who has never played a second on NHL hockey, not even in the preseason.

I'm glad Bergfors is in, because I think he is the more NHL ready of the two. That sai putting him out there with Rupp and Vrana is idiocdic and I have no clue what Sutter is thinking. One of the worst shifts the Devils had last game was when Rupp was out there with 2 rookies with Halischuk and Vrana. The Leafs 4th line held the puck in the zone that lead to a goal against. You have to figure that Bergfors might have some similar struggles so to put him out there with another rookie, and Mike Rupp is dumb. Bergfors should be playing with Elias and/or Gionta, decent offensive players who are also responsible defensively. Bergfors is going to end getting 5 minutes worth of ice time and probabl won' be ale to show what he is capable of.

Honestly no matter how good he looked I think Brent just wants to see what Bergfors has to offer.

Great, so why not sit what looked like a VERY beat up and tired looking Langenbrunner??

Great, so why not sit what looked like a VERY beat up and tired looking Langenbrunner??

two reasons:

langenbrunner played 20 minutes and did not look that beat up or tired.

halischuk was not impressive in his first game and will probably be sent down after this one.

jkr: and? this isn't a tryout or anything. the devils are short two forwards and when those two forwards come back into the lineup, bergfors is once again in lowell. if bergfors is gonna play here regularly obviously that's terrible, but vrana and bergfors must've played together in their 3 years in lowell/albany, so i don't see it as a huge problem. the rupp/vrana/halischuk line was terrible on that shift, yes, but that's not to say that every time three players of that caliber are put out on the ice, they're going to struggle like that - those players had almost never taken a shift together in their lives.

langenbrunner played 20 minutes and did not look that beat up or tired.

He looked HIDEOUS and exhausted in the third period... saw it with my own two eyes from my seats

then again so did his two linemates... but we kept schlepping them out there.... were you at the game? sometimes the TV stuff hides that

(I'm sure they didn't show Marty sucking wind during the commercials either like he was)

there comes a point when bike rides ain't gonna discipline a team and taking ICE TIME is how you get to some of these guys

He looked HIDEOUS and exhausted in the third period... saw it with my own two eyes from my seats

then again so did his two linemates... but we kept schlepping them out there.... were you at the game? sometimes the TV stuff hides that

(I'm sure they didn't show Marty sucking wind during the commercials either like he was)

there comes a point when bike rides ain't gonna discipline a team and taking ICE TIME is how you get to some of these guys

taking ice time only works when you have players on 4 lines whom you trust.

that's fair re: langenbrunner - i was trying to watch the end of the world series as well, so ANY stoppage of play i was gone. but 20 minutes of a subpar langenbrunner is better than 12 minutes of bergfors and 8 more minutes of 5 different guys making up that ice time. i am surprised langenbrunner was thrown out for the PK, there's got to be someone better to do it.

taking ice time only works when you have players on 4 lines whom you trust.

that's fair re: langenbrunner - i was trying to watch the end of the world series as well, so ANY stoppage of play i was gone. but 20 minutes of a subpar langenbrunner is better than 12 minutes of bergfors and 8 more minutes of 5 different guys making up that ice time. i am surprised langenbrunner was thrown out for the PK, there's got to be someone better to do it.

You only gain trust by being put out there and show you can get the job done.... can't earn that trust when all you can do is ask Weekes if the hot dog vendor or the popcorn guy is the better food option on the bench!!

Don't get me wrong in January, Feb and March I'm all for putting the gas to the floor and going with the vets (who by the way did STILL lose the game)... but this is the time of year you HAVE to find out what the kids got, sink or swim... you're losing these games ANYWAY right now... why the hell don't ya see what the kids go

so far all I got to see was Vrana really gets into the fetal position when Sutter bitches out the team during a time out :P

and you're going to tell me these kids got to the NHL by accident without killing a penalty or two along the way??

You only gain trust by being put out there and show you can get the job done.... can't earn that trust when all you can do is ask Weekes if the hot dog vendor or the popcorn guy is the better food option on the bench!!

Don't get me wrong in January, Feb and March I'm all for putting the gas to the floor and going with the vets (who by the way did STILL lose the game)... but this is the time of year you HAVE to find out what the kids got, sink or swim... you're losing these games ANYWAY right now... why the hell don't ya see what the kids go

so far all I got to see was Vrana really gets into the fetal position when Sutter bitches out the team during a time out :P

and you're going to tell me these kids got to the NHL by accident without killing a penalty or two along the way??

Yeah, but that's an after-the-fact claim - the Devils could've easily won that game on Wednesday, and the one on Saturday too.

The 'kids' aren't going to be on the team this year. This is a veteran, built-to-win-now team.

I don't agree with playing Langenbrunner 20 minutes - Zajac can kill penalties, Zubrus can kill penalties - but rightly or wrongly, Sutter's not giving that ice time to rookies. Yet.