Latest news on Brodeur

Triumph

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still standing by my claim that it is more then advertised. I pray i'm wrong.

IMO, it's either a hyperexension or ligament. LL should have just said "upper body injury" as he must think we are all blind or this is something that's been hurting for a bit from the physical contact our D let him take and all it took was just wrong reach.

Want to know why i'm not comfortable? Anyone that has played hockey has had a bruised elbow or similar. I've had my share. Everyone's pain threshold is different, but they do hurt, sometimes pretty bad. I was never offered an MRI for a bruised elbow, nor did i need one at any level i've played becuase usually the trainers and medical staff evaluate it as such. However, in some cases like Weekes it was handled wrong or just misdiagnosed. It is what it is, it hurts and you're gone a max of two weeks depending on the person.

It seems Brodeur is worried, hence the texts to Weekes. Better to ask someone that went through it. It either hurt or felt worse then normal and the med staff and Brodeur is not 100% certain it's just a "bruised elbow". Also, depending on what Brodeur told them or felt we don't know because we haven't heard from Brodeur himself, which is either to protect him or gag him. At least with Rolston talked after the game about his injury. I would expect Weekes to get a private chat from LL about that article.

As i said, it never hurts as a precuation to make sure it isn't something more, especially since there's a huge difference between Martin Brodeur and the rest of us beer leaguers. Anytime you hear the word MRI, wheterer it's a precaution or not, that isn't words you want to hear as an athlete or fan.

I didn't say it wasn't more than a bruised elbow. I said I didn't think it could be a bruised elbow, because he didn't fall on it and, in fact, he didn't take a puck off it.

But you either don't want them to do complete tests or you want them to not tell the public/press they are doing complete tests because you will worry about what they are doing. An MRI is not the end of the world. As I mentioned, it is the only way to tell what's going on inside a joint (without going in, of course). And if it is a serious problem and they don't get the tests done because they are too scared to find out, they are negligent. Or do you just want them to not say the word MRI because it scares you?

It could be a serious problem. Or it could be some thing that requires a minor scope and a few weeks rehab. Or it could literally require a cortisone shot and a few physical therapy sessions and no playing for a week. But if he doesn't get the tests, there's no way to tell.

If Lou hadn't said they were doing a full battery of tests I can just see the reaction - NJ doesn't care and they aren't protecting the franchise goalie - or they are so secretive they won't tell anyone what's going on and we all have a right to know.

If you don't want to hear things that scare you, don't read the updates.

According to devils.nhl.com, Frazee was called up !?

He was either:

1. the closet option

2. something serious is up and they want to see the future....

ok frazee ill allow it

Well HOW KIND OF YOU :P

hey hes better then clemmensen in my mind

this is why I wake up each and every morning and thank whatever deity you waste your time believing in that fans are not allowed to make NHL personnel decisions :P

A MRI is todays version of an xray. That they got it means little except they are looking, the info on MRIs above is correct.

Even if it is hyperextended or there is ligament damage there are multiple degrees of both. Until the team says more, or until Marty says more, anything anyone says is pure speculation.

BTW, why would Marty text? Why not just call Weekes?????

Edited by SC Devs Fan

A MRI is todays version of an xray. That they got it means little except they are looking, the info on MRIs above is correct.

Even if it is hyperextended or there is ligament damage there are multiple degrees of both. Until the team says more, or until Marty says more, anything anyone says is pure speculation.

Because people text more than speak nowadays, it's less personal.

I think the reason the MRI is not looked at the same way by most people is that it is simply not treated that way by the the insurance companies. Although they will generally cover it if they will pre-certify the MRI, it's often an interesting process to get the pre-certification. X-rays are much easier. Obviously, this has to do with cost. An X-ray still costs a lot less than an MRI.

An example: I had surgery on my right shoulder about a year and a half ago for what turned out to be a bone spur which caused the shoulder/arm to freeze up. I had the MRI which found the spur, the x/rays showed a completely normal joint. I had several months of therapy to get the ROM back. When I went to see the orthopedist for all of this, he told me that my left shoulder was not normal, he could tell just from the clicking sounds it was making when it moved. However, we'd jump off that bridge when/if we came to it. It could take years to manifest.

It didn't. It happened this year. It froze up, I was in severe pain. My GP gave me a prescription for X-rays, which showed nothing, but we couldn't get the insurance company to give a pre-cert for the MRI off of her prescription. I was in horrible pain, I could not sleep. They would not approve it. There was no point in seeing the orthopedist w/out it when the X-rays showed nothing. I called him, explained over the phone what was going on. He called the insurance company. I had the pre-cert in 2 hours after they refused for over 2 weeks. I have an "arthritic shoulder" (literally, the cartilidge is wearing away), which is in the moderate stage and it had caused tendonitis. The X-ray showed nothing. The MRI showed it clearly. A cortisone shot helped immensely and I have been in physical therapy to unfreeze the shoulder. I may need surgery, but it's doubtful, especially after the last 2 weeks of torture when the arm really moved, the first month and a half it wasn't making that much progress. However, the fear was that I had torn the rotator cuff and the MRI showed that I had not done so.

The MRI is a much more sophisticated and more expensive diagnostic tool than X-rays. However, the process we have to go through to actually get one makes it seem like a much more terrible thing than it is - because it should probably not be the last resort, but something closer to the first step.

The MRI is a much more sophisticated and more expensive diagnostic tool than X-rays. However, the process we have to go through to actually get one makes it seem like a much more terrible thing than it is - because it should probably not be the last resort, but something closer to the first step.

I agree... but this isn't applicable to most sports teams that own their own MRIs. I'm not saying MRIs are replacing xrays in the real world, just in sports.

As an aside, some dental offices now have their own CT scanners.... though not as sophisticated as ones in a hospital they provide images as good as ones in the hospital did 5 years ago at a fraction of the price.

For all the people questioning the calling up of Frazee instead of Clemmensen, doesn't Clemmensen need to clear waivers to be brought up? If that's the case, I doubt Lou would call him up just for backup duties.