GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning @ NJ Devils - 7pm, MSG+

nmigliore

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously it's mind-blowing how much Oduya has improved. He's great. Although v. Buffalo he fell down again lol.

Tri: at one point in overtime Oduya and Salvador were out with Weekes in net...that's three black players all on the ice at the same time for the same team. Is that an NHL first?

Edited by Cowutopia

I'm really happy for Weekes. It can't be just a coincidence that everybody who deals with him has nothing but great things to say about the guy. He seems like a good teammate and I really hope he shines for us during the next few months. Of course we need him to be good so the team can make the playoffs but it would be awesome to see him run with this opportunity.

This was a nice 2 points. Probably would have held on for the 3-2 win but Brookbank just had to make things interesting. If the team can get healthy and beat these types of teams consistently, there is no reason why they shouldn't be amongst the top 8 come April. Considering everything going on right now with the depleted roster, I think they have done a pretty good job over the last couple of games. Now it's time to lay down a 5 spot on the Cup champs :koolaid:

Edited by SickMan

It pains me, Vrana is too small to handle centers in the defensive zone, thats the reason why Parise was switched. In the offensive zone he will work better as a center but in the defensive zone he has so much trouble. In the roles they are playing I would like to see Bergfors sent down and Pelley taken up. Pelley is more suited on an energy line.

Tri: at one point in overtime Oduya and Salvador were out with Weekes in net...that's three black players all on the ice at the same time for the same team. Is that an NHL first?

I don't think so, but I can't be sure. Sean Brown, Georges Laraque, Mike Grier, and Anson Carter all played for the Oilers at the same time. Hard to imagine that 3 of them didn't end up on the ice at one time or another.

In the roles they are playing I would like to see Bergfors sent down and Pelley taken up. Pelley is more suited on an energy line.

yeah this is an excellent point, i hope this gets done tomorrow. no use wasting bergfors for 4 minutes a game, and pelley can be put out there without jeopardizing the team defensively.

Edited by Triumph

Decent win. Needed to win once it got to the shootout.

I'm sure the Pandolfo-Madden-Elias line generated all sorts of anger at the beginning of this thread. I thought it was an inspired move. Tampa Bay has always given up a ton of chances to Pando and Madden over the years - if it's not going to be Elias with them, it should be Gionta. Do it for games against Pittsburgh, too. That is just a coaching staff doing its homework.

Vrana did not have a good game - gets put out for a shift in the 3rd, makes a terrible turnover, then takes a penalty. Other than that, not much. Bergfors was on the bench most of the game. That Rupp-Vrana-Bergfors line is a disaster but I see no relief. Clarkson played a solid game tonight even apart from his goal - a performance like that keeps him in the top 9 for sure.

Zubrus can be a mini Jaromir Jagr some nights, and that night was tonight. Tremendous game out of Zubrus - 99 times out of 100 that little play to spring Clarkson results in nothing but possession in the offensive zone, but it's those kinds of plays why this team signed Zubrus.

Ah hell, I love this team. Half of them can't skate, none of them can shoot, but damn it they're going to win these games, it's going to be ugly but they're going to win them.

I loved the move from the start, and these are the changes that need to be made to create more scoring chances and it worked. Just a tremendous move by the coaching staff. Clarkson, Zubrus, Madden, Gionta and Elias all played with desperation. They brought their game to the nect level and they still only won in a SO. I'd add Parise to that list, but he plays at the same level night in and night out.

And finally some other quick hits from the game:

- What is wrong with Langenbrunner? Why can't he receive a pass cleanly. He ruins so many great plays because an easy pass just bounces off his stick

- Madden is lucky he doesn't get more holding calls. It seems in almost every battle, he takes his hand off his stick to grab a player or the players' stick.

- Patty had two great quick shot chances, but why is Patty trying to lead the league in shots? It seems even when he has space to do something creative that he would do a few years ago, he elects to shoot the puck anyway.

- I know Bryce let St Louis get to the puck on the 3rd goal I believe, but for the most part he is a stud back there. Breaking up plays, winning battles, staying calm with the puck and making the smart decisions. He has really become a go-to-guy back there.

- I liked the game Mottau and Oduya played. Almost everyone had a solid game when it was 5-on-5 except the 4th line.

- Doc and Chico call a good game, but I think I counted 25 hilarious blunders by Chico today.

- Loved the crowd reaction after Weekes amde some big saves. Hopefully this becomes a full-time thing.

- And finally, my reaction was probably the same as Weekes after the win. Been a while since I have felt so good for a player in any sport. You could tell how serious he takes this, and how badly he wants to do well, especially with the whole hockey world paying notice.

Edited by devilsrule33

the win covers up a lot - i'm surprised with some comments from this evening. not to be a wet blanket, but i was ready to kill elias before his goal. he must have had 5 turnovers in the offensive zone. the pk is AWFUL. They looked so good killing off madden's but vrana's and brookbanks were played poorly. as for mr. vrana, those clammoring for more ice time late in games for him just saw why he won't get it again anytime soon.

brookbank is terrible. there must be someone better in albany.

weekes was fine but showed why he's not a true #1. a top 10 goalie stops goal 2 and doesn't give up the awful rebound on goal 3.

i saw shades of early 05-06 tonight (which is not a complement).

zubrus was excellent tonight - he is superb.

these are the games the devils MUST get 2 points from almost every time if they're going to survive a marty-less 4 months.

Edited by sundstrom

Vrana did make a bad turnover but Sutter should know not to have him out against Chris Gratton who will outmatch him 90% of the time due to his strength and size. Vrana is a winger in the NHL, maybe a center on the PP.

Zubrus has been out second best forward so far this season behind Parise. I would love to see him control the puck down low on a line with Parise and Zajac.

brookbank is terrible. there must be someone better in albany.

I haven't been able to follow Lowell closely this year, but I was thinking that if Fraser is playing well, then he should have a shot. He's been in the system a couple of years, has already played in 7 NHL games, and has been a rock on the Lowell blue line and a leader for them the past couple of years. Hopefully one of our posters who has followed Lowell close this year can chime in. I haven't been impressed by the play of either Brookbank and Salmela.

I hope Vrana starts to play better, I really thought he would be a positive on the team coming into the year after he had a strong AHL season last year and showed improvement every year the past couple of years. Hopefully he just settles down, gains some confidence, and plays better, earning more ice time down the road.

I'm still getting over Sutter and Vrana nearly screwing the pooch in the third period. No reason for Sutter to put the kid out in the third period when he'd already been buried with about 5 minutes of icetime and two shifts in the prior 30 minutes, but Vrana's an NHL player too. He's got to take responsibility for a god-awful shift, not only failing to clear the puck but taking the penalty. The Devils were sailing at that point and Tampa probably would have never tied the game if not for Vrana's shift.

As far as Brookbank, I never fault a guy for a delay of game when throwing the puck over the boards, that's the stupidest rule known to man.

That said, it still worked out well in the end, especially with Jamie getting the shootout winner after he looked god-awful (again).

Edited by Hasan4978

I'm still getting over Sutter and Vrana nearly screwing the pooch in the third period. No reason for Sutter to put the kid out in the third period when he'd already been buried with about 5 minutes of icetime and two shifts in the prior 30 minutes, but Vrana's an NHL player too. He's got to take responsibility for a god-awful shift, not only failing to clear the puck but taking the penalty. The Devils were sailing at that point and Tampa probably would have never tied the game if not for Vrana's shift.

As far as Brookbank, I never fault a guy for a delay of game when throwing the puck over the boards, that's the stupidest rule known to man.

That said, it still worked out well in the end, especially with Jamie getting the shootout winner after he looked god-awful (again).

There was nobody in front of him and it wasn't like he put it out far down the ice. That was just.... well, Brookbanky. Really bad. Look, that should have been a penalty even if that rule didn't exist, just out of principle.

There was nobody in front of him and it wasn't like he put it out far down the ice. That was just.... well, Brookbanky. Really bad. Look, that should have been a penalty even if that rule didn't exist, just out of principle.

Zubrus has been out second best forward so far this season behind Parise.

Which says all you need to know about our fowards this season.

I thought Salvador played well -- good, physical minutes that you need against a team like Tampa. I also saw a lot to like from the way the Devils defended near their own blueline -- a huge improvement over the Sabres game. They did more disruption closer to the neutral zone, which will only help Weekes.

Despite giving up the two goals, I didn't think the PK played all that badly. And this is a classic, textbook example of how important converting on the power play is: Tampa probably wins in regulation if the Devils don't establish that 2-1 lead. Thank the hockey gods for small miracles.

<JESTER>

Another strong game by Kevin Weekes tonight! :koolaid: The "WEEEEEKES" chants were nice and loud all over the Prudential Center tonight most of the night when he made a great save. Great to see all the support for Weekes right now with Brodeur out until February/March.

The goal by Clarkson was a beauty from a sharp angle to tie up the game at 1-1. Good games by Elias, Parise, Zajac (except for that breakaway he should have scored on the SHG oppurtunity.) Zubrus and actually Gionta tonight. Vrana is suspect and taking some really bad penalties as of late. Brookbank is just flat out terrible and needs to go back to Lowell immediately! He almost cost the Devils the game tonight. Nice to see Elias get a PPG and a PPG in general for the Devils.

The consistant problem for the Devils right now is their PK defense. :puke: Giving up another 2-PPG tonight to a Tampa Bay team that is LAST in the NHL on the PP. Devils really need to concentrate on their PK right now, because vs. the better teams like Detroit, the PK will just kill the Devils in the game and will lose the game.

As for the crowd it was rather somber and like a morgue most of the night possibly because of the news of Brodeur yesterday and it carried over into tonight's game. The attendance was not very good, (really need some more support from our Devils fans here instead of watching the game on the damn couch and TV), but the Devils fans that were there were into this game showing the support for Weekes and the Devils. The SO was very exciting tonight and man that Parise fake and shot up high, Smith never saw it and it hit the damn post! :P Elias and Langenbrunner's SO goals were practically the same and Smith could not save them. :koolaid:

A much needed 2pts. tonight and glad to see Weekes get the win and he was so excited and took a knee in the crease when Langenbrunner got the winning SO goal for the win. Weekes is solid right now and hope he can continue this type of play in Detroit and maybe, just maybe the Devils can pull out a win in Detroit.

It was my first time at the prudential center---BEAUTIFUL ARENA. And it was a real fun game to be at. Mets games were nothing in comparison. I agree with those that said the Vrana, Bergfors, Rupp line was killing them. They're constantly running around in their own zone. They never apply any serious pressure on the man with he puck, and they make a lot of frantic turnover passes. The PK has also been really hurting the team. I think Tampa was 2/3 on the pp. And thats been the case for many of their previous games. Weekes played a pretty good game, a few rebounds ended up costing him, but I'm really happy he got that shootout victory.

Edited by The Facepainter

Forgot to mention....Patty Elias has one of the nicest shootout moves in the league, but I can't understand why he doesn't raise the puck when he has the goalie out. Every goalie has been fooled by that move, but by Patty feathering it on ice level it gives the goalie time to throw a hand out. And goalies have made that diving save a number of times.

Good effort tonight. Sure, it sucked when TB tied it up in the third, but it made for an exciting game. Weeksie kept us in it, which is all we can ask of him. It was awesome to hear the crowd chant Weeeekes after some of his big saves. Gotta love it when the fans are into it like that. Also, inserting Elias into the Pando-Madden line was a great idea. Jay and John had been struggling of late, and Patrik seemed to really get those guys going again.

Can't wait to see what kind of game the team brings to Detroit on Saturday. And then back home again on Sunday. That looks to be an exciting game as the Oilers have been playing pretty good as of late.

I don't care how inept the guy is - and he did play 15 minutes without other incident tonight. Most of the time you can't throw the puck out of play if you try. It usually happens when the puck rolls up on a stick or you're this much off in the way you try to pitchfork the puck out of the zone. It's a fluke play that has no business being on the books as a delay of game.

I don't care how inept the guy is - and he did play 15 minutes without other incident tonight. Most of the time you can't throw the puck out of play if you try. It usually happens when the puck rolls up on a stick or you're this much off in the way you try to pitchfork the puck out of the zone. It's a fluke play that has no business being on the books as a delay of game.

One of my other favourite dumb NHL rules...

The league tries to encourage the 2-line pass when it took out the NHL red line, but if you try a nice long pass and it just goes beyond your teammate, it is an icing call. Stupid, especially since the NHL said it is the refs discretion on those plays, yet no ref waives that call off.

It was great to see the guys win a back-and-forth game like this, and it's also a good sign that we were able to get goals from players not named Parise.

I thought Zubrus and Elias were our best forwards. Big props to the coaching staff, realizing that when playing against a team like Tampa, Madden and Pando will get a ton of ice time. Putting Elias with them to add some zip to their ice time was a brilliant move. I think Tri mentioned something about keeping them together for games like this and against the Penguins ... great idea.

Salvador is a beast, Oduya keeps getting better, and Brookbank is completely fvcking worthless.

I can't blame Vrana or Bergfors for their poor performances because they're playing on a crap line. You can't argue with the results when a team wins, but if you want to develop talent you've got to put these youngsters in situations where they can succeed. Vrana looked good when he was on the top line and I think Bergfors might be pretty good with Zajac and Parise (he can't be much worse than Langenbrunner, although he had a decent game tonight).

And Weekes ... what can anyone say except DAMN it's nice to see this guy get a win! He played well enough to get the W, and that's good enough for me.

YES WEEKES CAN!!

Bonehead penalty by Brookbank, I mean seriously, what the hell was he thinking?

You know it's bad when your head starts filling up with derogatory variations of a player's name. Spermbank, Brookstank and Brookspank all popped into my head after he took that penalty. I kind of liked him last year, but this guy just can't cut it in the NHL game in and game out.

The crowd was damn near non-existant during the first period (I took a good friend of mine with me to the game (he's a Ranger fan), and without being mean he simply asked, "Dude, where the hell is everybody?"), but by the second more of the seats filled up. Weekes got a nice round of applause during the starting lineup announcements, and it was great to hear all of the "Weekes" chants with each save. Shootout wins will never feel like "real" wins to me, ever, but at least the Devils did what they had to after Tampa tied it up. 7-3-2 in spite of everything that's gone wrong. All things considered, that's pretty damn good.