2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Figure I'll get this thread started....

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/11/13/yank...from-white-sox/

The New York Yankees announced today that they have acquired switch-hitting first baseman/outfielder Nick Swisher and right-handed pitcher Kanekoa Texeira from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for infielder Wilson Betemit and right-handed pitchers Jeff Marquez and Jhonny Nunez.

I love this deal. Figures we had a huge thread on the Yankee forum about trading for Swisher and then it happens. Swisher should finally give the Yankees a solid first basemen for the first time in a while. I'm happy they unloaded Betemit who was junk, Nunez they got for the attorney general in July and is just a career minor leaguer, Marquez had some upside but had more value as a trade piece. I don't know much about Texeira but his stats seem fine at a quick glance.

Swisher had a bit of a down year last year, but I think he rebounds and post an over 100 OPS+ the next couple of years. Great deal by Cash.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/11/12/its-...s-with-yankees/

The New York Yankees announced today that they have signed left-handed pitcher Damaso Marte to a three-year contract with a one-year club option for 2012.

I'm not a big fan of this deal, but I'm not worked up about it. I wanted the picks or them to pick up his option since its risky to sign relievers to multi year deals, especially since Marte projects to get worse over the course of the deal. Hopefully it works out but I doubt he finishes the deal with us.

Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of this deal, but I'm not worked up about it. I wanted the picks or them to pick up his option since its risky to sign relievers to multi year deals, especially since Marte projects to get worse over the course of the deal. Hopefully it works out but I doubt he finishes the deal with us.

It is nice to have a decnt reliable lefty coming out of the bullpen but I still would have preferred less years. But even with that said if he turns into a bust after 2 seasons it's not like the yanks can't eat the rest of that contract

Edited by njdevils783

It is nice to have a decnt reliable lefty coming out of the bullpen but I still would have preferred less years. But even with that said if he turns into a bust after 2 seasons it's not like the yanks can't eat the rest of that contract

Agreed, I just would've preferred picking up the option (overpaying him compared to the market value for one year of good performance) then getting the draft picks for 2010 since he probably would've stayed a type A. Its not that big of a deal either way though, I won't worry about it.

I like re-signing Marte, I hadn't heard about that - he is far better than the parade of left-handed scraps the Yankees have endured over the years. Who can forget Mike Myers, Alan Embree, Felix Heredia, Mike Stanton (the second time), Sean Henn, and a bunch of guys I am forgetting because they were just that atrocious.

And the Swisher deal is a robbery. I wish we had the intention of putting him in CF, but it seems that's a no-go. Still, he will produce Giambi-numbers with better defense.

I like re-signing Marte, I hadn't heard about that - he is far better than the parade of left-handed scraps the Yankees have endured over the years. Who can forget Mike Myers, Alan Embree, Felix Heredia, Mike Stanton (the second time), Sean Henn, and a bunch of guys I am forgetting because they were just that atrocious.

And the Swisher deal is a robbery. I wish we had the intention of putting him in CF, but it seems that's a no-go. Still, he will produce Giambi-numbers with better defense.

Geez, I'm still trying to forget about Heredia and Henn to this day. At least Stanton the first time around gave me enough good memories to ignore the bad ones. Speaking of lefties, you know who was always a favorite of mine? Graeme Lloyd.

Just out of curiosity, if you put Swisher in CF then what would you do for first base then? I can't see them throwing money at Tex when they seem ready to unload an insane amount of it into pitching.

I don't mind re-signing Marte but the contract is nuts. Relivers are notoriously unreliable from year to year. Marte will likely be Spanish for Shoenweis by the end of the deal.

Call me nut$ but I like the possibility of the Yankee$ signing AJ Burnett.

Power pitching wins in the playoffs

Well it depends on what terms you are talking about before I would call you nuts. I'd rather avoid Burnett, but if they are unable to get Sabathia and/or Lowe then they are in somewhat of a hole. The rumors are that they are not going to offer him a 5 year contract, which is great news, that would've been a big mistake. If they were going to sign him I'd rather it be on a 3 year deal with a ton of money per year (which won't happen, he'll get a 4 year deal in the end which I may be able to live with depending on how free agency plays out).

A couple of interesting items I came across today:

Did the Yankees Offer CC Enough?

What If the Yankees Strike Out on FA Pitching?

I don't mind re-signing Marte but the contract is nuts. Relivers are notoriously unreliable from year to year. Marte will likely be Spanish for Shoenweis by the end of the deal.

so you don't like the marte signing, yet you hated the idea of using all these young pitchers in the bullpen last year. okay then.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind if the Yankees take back there offer to CC or fail to sign him. I was concerned about him since he has logged a ton of innings the past couple of years and weighs a ton. I'm afraid that he is just ready to get a big injury after all that stress on his arm and as he gets older the weight can become an issue.

Rumors have the Yankees possibly signing sheets for 2 years at $15M per. I would love that. There is not much on the market for starting pitching, you can either go at guys like Burnett and Sheets who are major injury risks, or you can go at old guys like Lowe for multiple years with a ton of money. While Sheets is a risk, if they can get him by paying him overvalue but for less years like the rumors have them doing, then that would be a great investment. If he is healthy he instantly makes the rotation more respectable, if he gets hurt its not like they are hamstrung with a bad contract. With the weak pitching market getting Sheets for a deal like that would be awesome.

Another rumor has the Yankees trying to get Burnett by topping the Braves offer. I'm not a fan of that since that would be either a 4 year deal with an option for a fifth year or maybe a full five year deal. He is a great pitcher but like Sheets has a ton of injury issues and I'd rather not get hamstrung with that large contract for a guy who may be going on the DL multiple times.

I'd look into re-upping Pettitte for another year. I know he doesn't want to take a paycut, and they want him to, but hopefully they can reach some sort of compromise. Pettitte is reliable and proven. If they sign Sheets and can bring back Pettitte then they are looking at something like:

Sheets

Wang

x

Pettitte

Chamberlain

I think Hughes and Kennedy both start the year out in Scranton. They and Aceves provide decent depth for when someone gets injured. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy excel this year if he gets called up. He finished the year strong in AAA last year and is pitching well in winterball right now.

It's kinda pathetic how the Yankees have to get down on hands and knees to beg Sabathia to come after they already made him an offer probably $40 million more than he's seen from anyone else.

They might as well just bring in Lowe, a Garland-type (I wouldn't mind him on the Mets as a replacement for Ollie actually), and bring back Petttite as the #5. They're hell bent on having Joba start so just leave him in the rotation to begin with and don't look back. At some point he's gotta swim in the deep end of the pool, they can't have him doggy paddle in the shallow end forever. Jerking him back and forth is more of an injury risk than pitching him a few innings more than some chart tells them to.

Edited by Hasan4978

It's kinda pathetic how the Yankees have to get down on hands and knees to beg Sabathia to come after they already made him an offer probably $40 million more than he's seen from anyone else.

Yeh that bothers me a bit. Besides the concerns I posted above earlier, I worry about whether or not he really wants to pitch in NY for the Yankees. I understand he wants to see all of his possibilities and take his time, but he really seemed to draw it out longer than it had to be. Hopefully he performs well for the Yankees and is not there just to collect the big paycheck.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/09/yank...ve-on-sabathia/

UPDATE, 10:59 p.m.: I have been able to confirm that tonight

So I wake up this morning and turn on the XM Baseball channel and get a nice pre-Christmas surprise. They say it is a done deal.

The Yankees need an *ace*. Burnett, (B)Lowe, etc are not aces.

CC

Wang

<Other FA Pitcher>

Pettitte

Joba

Sweet.

Slim and none Pettitte is back now.

CC

Wang

Joba

Burnett/Lowe

Hughes

Steve Phillips says that Sheets is also in the mix.