2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not my money. I don't care what the Steinbrenners pay.

I dont want Pettitte back. That ship has sailed and its clear he wants more money than what hes worth. I say go after Burnett who is a far less of an injury risk than Sheets who has a terrible injury history (although Burnett doesnt have the strongest health resume either - but its eons better than Sheets) and also Burnett knows the AL East as it is and has a great record at Yankee Stadium (albeit the old one). Failing that, Im fine with Derek Lowe as well, but I'd consider Sheets to be the absolute last option.

As an uninformed bystander, I'm kinda curious at why the Yanks haven't jumped in on the Jake Peavy nonsense.

My personal issues with the Padres situation aside, it's obvious that he's being firesold. He's not a bad pitcher if we can get him on the cheap. Is it that we don't have what they want?

It is because Peavy has a NTC and has made it very clear that he won't approve a deal to an AL team.

Its not my money. I don't care what the Steinbrenners pay.

I dont want Pettitte back. That ship has sailed and its clear he wants more money than what hes worth. I say go after Burnett who is a far less of an injury risk than Sheets who has a terrible injury history (although Burnett doesnt have the strongest health resume either - but its eons better than Sheets) and also Burnett knows the AL East as it is and has a great record at Yankee Stadium (albeit the old one). Failing that, Im fine with Derek Lowe as well, but I'd consider Sheets to be the absolute last option.

You have to take into consideration the years and $$$. Sheets at 2 years/$26-30M which is a strong rumor going around is much better than Lowe at roughly 4 years/$66M or giving Burnett a fifth year and being stuck with the contract if he starts to go down in the early years with injuries. If Sheets gets hurt then its a lost gamble but you didn't have to sacrifice much, if Burnett goes down then you are screwed.

I think when all said and done Pettitte will be back for roughly around the same $ he made last year. I have no issue with him being the #4, he is still a pretty solid pitcher posting an ERA+ of 110, 98 the past two years and I don't expect him to decline much this upcoming year.

Yeah but the Yanks were able to offer him 160 million reasons to change his mind. They don't have the same tools available to convince Peavy.

True, I guess my main point is you can never really trust what these guys are saying

So does anyone see the Yankees still going after Burnett? or Lowe? If so, man that is way too much for pitching IMO

Edited by LOTCB

Yeah CC also said he wants to stay in the NL so he can hit. So much for that.

CC - contact is for 7-years @ $160M. OUCH!

It will be interesting if he can handle himself in the NY media and the limelight. Randy Johnson couldn't and hated it after he finally left. CC will miss the NL and he was a good hitter for being a pitcher. He will help the Yankees when they play the interleague games this season.

True, I guess my main point is you can never really trust what these guys are saying

So does anyone see the Yankees still going after Burnett? or Lowe? If so, man that is way too much for pitching IMO

Yes, they are "close" to signing Lowe, I saw something saying they offered him a 4 yr/66M deal.

And now the yanks are interested in Manny.

metsblog.com is a really good site not only for the Mets but the league in general.

Yes, they are "close" to signing Lowe, I saw something saying they offered him a 4 yr/66M deal.

And now the yanks are interested in Manny.

metsblog.com is a really good site not only for the Mets but the league in general.

Manny too? :argh:

The Yankees clubhouse will have more National Enquirer reporters there then sports reporters...cmon drama

*And, CC has an opt-out clause were he could leave after 2011.

Edit: Now the Sox have made Texaria their #1 goal.

That opt out can only hurt the Yankees...if CC is a disaster...then he will stay and collect...if he is dominant...he can then opt out and go somewhere else

I read on that blog the Nationals are making a play for Tex? WOW

Heh, that reminds me of the Mets going after Vlad a few years ago. They know it's not going to happen, yet they need to show they are doing something.

Well true, but at least the Mets do things...the Nats on the other hand...should STILL be the Expos.

The guy on the FAN who's in LV right now says the Yanks are interested in Burnett, especially cause he's smoked the Red Sox in the past. In his starts against the SAWX, he's like 5-0 with an ERA in the mid 2's. He's also smoked the Yanks, too, so that could be a factor. Lowe, I dunno. If they got Lowe and Burnett, that'd be ridiculous to have a staff of CC, Lowe, Burnett, Wang, and now maybe Sheets or Pettite?

I got a bad feeling about Sheets, like he's gonna end up like our good friend Mr. Pavano or, worse, stay healthy and pitch really crappy for us. I had a conversation with a Brewers fans who tells me he wilts under pressure. If he does that in Beertown, he'll implode in NYC.

My opinion is wholly irrelevent, but if I were the NYY, I'd try and leave the 5th spot open for whichever young pitcher they wanted to groom (Joba, Hughes, Kennedy, etc.) and let CC, Burnett, Wang, and whatever other veteran they overpay take the rest of the starts.

12:54pm: Rosenthal and Gerry Fraley report that the Braves made an offer to Burnett late Tuesday for $80MM over five years. That guaranteed fifth year could be big.

11:14am: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Braves are pushing hard for A.J. Burnett and talks with him progressed through the night. The Yankees remain involved, however.

Update: Yanks are still going hard after BOTH Lowe and Burnett.

If they do not get Burnett, they will go after Sheets. So basicly, they will get 2 outta 3 of if all goes to their plan. As a Mets fan, I wish Omar and the Wilpon's would compete for these guys rather than get the Yanks table scraps.

This is how it's shaped up so far:

Big guns- CC Sabathia

Great- Burnett, Lowe, Sheets

Good- John Garland, Oliver Perez

I'm going to be upset if they sign Lowe or Burnett to huge contracts and don't take Sheets who is willing to take a small 2 year deal. Way too much risk in those big contracts to a pitcher who is getting old and another guy who reminds me too much of the Pavano situation. C'mon Cash, sign Sheets and Pettitte!

I'm going to be upset if they sign Lowe or Burnett to huge contracts and don't take Sheets who is willing to take a small 2 year deal. Way too much risk in those big contracts to a pitcher who is getting old and another guy who reminds me too much of the Pavano situation. C'mon Cash, sign Sheets and Pettitte!

I think Burnett is going to go to Atlanta...80M offer on the table...I do not see how the Yankees top that but even moreso..WHY would they want to top that for a injury riddled starter

Now that they have CC, I hope they get Sheets for cheap and bring back Pettitte for a year.

Sabathia

Wang

Sheets

Pettitte

Chamberlain

I think we I like switching Joba to the 4th, and Andy to the 5th.

We need to add another position player aswell, NOT MANNY. The team that gets him will end up like the Dallas Stars.