2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats bad news regarding A-Rod. Since I am not close to the situation or a medical professional I'll trust whatever course of action the Yankees decide to take. I do wonder though if it would be worth having the surgery to get it out of the way rather than risk him having to be shut down at the end of the year. Replacement Level Yankees Blog has an interesting look at how much of a downgrade Ransom or Berroa would be...here. I'd check that out. Essentially they took the averages of several projections and what it came down to is Rodriguez .934 OPS, Ransom .710 OPS, Berroa.644 OPS with Ransom downgrading to six less wins, Berrora to about 7 less wins.

While that is bad and this could grow into a bigger issue if Posada isn't healthy enough to catch, I do think this is a manageable situation. Even if Manny was still on the market I wouldn't want him. This team has enough good players and pitchers that it should be able to rise above this.

i don't see how manny ramirez mitigates this in any way. can he play 3rd base? no.

the good news is we can theoretically trade nady or swisher (nady plz) for a viable 3b. or give andy marte or someone a whirl. just not morgan ensberg as he was terrible.

Edited by Triumph

Ensberg is gone, hopefully the Rays keep him. Signed him to a minor league deal.

As for A-Rod, kind of at a loss. I don't like the guy and never have, but I respect what he brings to the table. I'm with the camp that he should have the surgery now and get it done and over with. If the Yankees can stay above water without him, then his return would mean that much more. I was more looking forward to Tex having him as protection in the order, but for now that's out the window. The Yanks need to learn from Mike Lowell's mistakes.

Our internal options at third are not good. Ransom, Berroa, yuck, yuck. The only guy left I think is Grudzielanek, dude is pushing 40 but hes better than those two. If its going to be really bad then we have to make a move trade wise. Nady has played some third, so has Tex, but I don't think either of them should be options.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/03/06/spri...ers-at-yankees/

Abraham speculates that he is probably going to end up having the surgery. Also some quotes from Hal regarding the situation.

http://www.replacementlevel.com/

Interesting table to see how potential guys (and most 3B for that matter) project in relation to A-Rod and what the difference would be. Its the first post on the page currently.

http://riveraveblues.com/2009/03/the-robbi...no-option-8774/

River Ave Blues notes that the Yankees have talked internally about Cano moving to 3B at some point in the past, and they could go in that direction now, however it is highly unlikely.

Edited by thefiestygoat

yeah a-rod opted for the surgery.

cano's bat really doesn't play at third. actually this is a huge season for cano - can he become a kind of .300/.350/.450 solid 2B or will he be stuck being a .280/.310/.400 kind of player.

Edited by Triumph

yeah a-rod opted for the surgery.

cano's bat really doesn't play at third. actually this is a huge season for cano - can he become a kind of .300/.350/.450 solid 2B or will he be stuck being a .280/.310/.400 kind of player.

He opted for half the surgery. Who knows how he will respond.

A .280/.310/.400 2B is solid Not all-star but solid.

man i wish jesus montero could stay at catcher. finding a catcher who can hit even close to league average is tough. jose molina basically sunk the yankees season last year with his terrible hitting. i don't care if the guy puts his mask on backwards, leave him behind the plate.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090308/SPOR...80345/-1/SPORTS

Interesting article, Pena thinks Montero can stay at catcher.

• 3 weeks later...

I see on the Internets that Florida released Dallas McPhearson today. He would not be a bad pick up to spell A-Rod until he gets back. If nothing else, it would give McPhearson a chance to audition for a starting job elsewhere with 6-8 weeks of every day starting in a good lineup.

i wonder how good mcpherson's fielding is. or ransom's, for that matter. mcpherson's numbers last season of course have to be examined in the context of him playing in albequerque, the most homer-friendly park in the minors.

I know you don't have the answer now, but if you, or anyone for that matter, find a site that has defensive metrics like uzr, etc. for minor league guys share it here.

The loss today is no big deal, just 1 game out of 162. I'm expecting Sabathia to start out a bit slow, then get on his game as the year progresses. Even so, every pitcher is going to have a game here and there where they just get owned.

Nice to see Swisher come off the bench and get that big double, too bad they never took advantage of that or the many other oppurtunities they had today. I'm not a big fan of bunting, even with Gardner being as fast as he is, so I would've liked to see him have a chance to swing the bat with no outs and a runner on 2nd, but hey, I'm nitpicking here. Hopefully Swisher gets more playing time than Nady this year.

Overall I am happy to finally have baseball back. Lets Go Yankees!

btw, I hate how mlb has opening day then a day off, just start the damn season and keep on playing!

It's just one game blah blah blah

But still I can't help but see the similarities to 2008. 11 men left on base, noone getting the big hit. Only two teams left more people on base yesterday - the JV and Pirates with 12 - and both of them won their games.

It's just one game blah blah blah

But still I can't help but see the similarities to 2008. 11 men left on base, noone getting the big hit. Only two teams left more people on base yesterday - the JV and Pirates with 12 - and both of them won their games.

since clutch really doesn't exist except over the very long term, i'm not going to worry about that. the yankees have a pretty good lineup - they're going to get men on and they're going to score.

Lets not make to much of a loss, just like how everyone thinks the met's bullpen is great becuase of one great game.......

aganist the....Reds?

first off you need some spelling lessons :lol: .. 1 game doesn't make anything at all, but im happy our bullpen kept the lead, hopefully they keep doing that. I didnt see much of the Yanks game yesterday but I wouldn't be worried about him since he always usually sucks in April, as long as he had his velocity and didn't look that tired he should be fine.. and going back to the headlining: only reason people are headlining "Mets bullpen fixed" , "CC rocked by O's" etc is because it was opening day and also thats how the NY media is with baseball. I think a bigger deal is made b/c its opening day.. but do tell me, if you were assigned to write an article about the mets/reds game yesterday, what would you write about? clearly the headline was the bullpen coming through for us (like it failed us so many times last year), nothing else was big enough to headline in that game. They need to write that stuff, even if the bullpen featured the same pitchers as last year it would get the same attention since it was such a sore spot last year..

you my as well never read a sports news article on a game again if you take offense to people writing about the bullpen coming through for the Mets and CC struggling in his first start.

since clutch really doesn't exist except over the very long term, i'm not going to worry about that. the yankees have a pretty good lineup - they're going to get men on and they're going to score.

I don't know. Last year the Yankees were second in the league in OBP and that only translated in to 7th in actual runs. To me that says they struggled mightily getting the big hit and those struggles have continued.