2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Yankees are gonna have a stellar rotation.. If I were them I would trade Cano/Hughes/Kennedy and some other prospects (and Melky if you still have him) for Peavy and then sign Hudson to play 2B..

Although if i were a yank fan i would be a little worried about giving Burnett 5 years, thats a bit ridiculous. 3 years and MAYBE an option, MAX hes worth.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I don't want Manny to be a Yank. First and foremost, an outfield of Nady Damon and Manny would be the worst defensive outfield. Ever. And second, after seeing what happened in Boston, you can't tell me that won't happen two or three years down the road in New York.

That's not necessarily the case at all. Firstly, they're trading for Mike Cameron to play center and thats an immediate upgrade over Damon who will platoon with Cameron and Gardner most likely, but Damon will likely handle the majority of the DH duties. Damon's contract is also up next year and if I was betting right now, he wont be renewed. Manny could also platoon to play DH. That's also not to mention the addition of Swisher, who is a very decent/good defensive outfielder and can play almost any position even if his usual position is first.

Manny likely won't get a contract from ANYONE thats more than 3 years. It's absurd to assume that what happened in Boston (when he had been there 6 or 7 years already) would necessarily happen in NY. You don't think that he'd enjoy playing in NYC (the dude went to HS in Washington Heights) and hitting in between Jeter and A-Rod? IMO Manny and A-Rod are the two best hitters in their generation, everyone in the top of that lineup would benefit tremendously.

It's absolutely insane to me that anyone would consider saying no to Manny because of what happened in Boston, but I can understand trepidation in regards to a lengthy deal. That was a situation that got of control and he had wanted out for 2 to 3 years prior to that happening. Manny is not T.O. He never acted a fool in Cleveland and it took extenuating circumstances for what happened in Boston to happen. I think he'd love to play for the Yankees, can you imagine a postseason series against the Red Sox with him on our side for a change? Oof.

Yankees are gonna have a stellar rotation.. If I were them I would trade Cano/Hughes/Kennedy and some other prospects (and Melky if you still have him) for Peavy and then sign Hudson to play 2B..

Although if i were a yank fan i would be a little worried about giving Burnett 5 years, thats a bit ridiculous. 3 years and MAYBE an option, MAX hes worth.

I agree about the Burnett deal, but that was the price that had to be paid to get him. We needed him and albeit its pricy length wise, it was a necessary evil IMO.

Melky is likely gone. I'd rather not trade Cano yet unless it was to get a piece like Peavy. I think last year was an aberration for the entire franchise, not just Cano. I have a feeling Peavy ends up in Boston and the only reason Id want to get involved is to stop that from happening. The biggest thing Boston has going for them is their farm system.

That's not necessarily the case at all. Firstly, they're trading for Mike Cameron to play center and thats an immediate upgrade over Damon who will platoon with Cameron and Gardner most likely, but Damon will likely handle the majority of the DH duties. Damon's contract is also up next year and if I was betting right now, he wont be renewed. Manny could also platoon to play DH. That's also not to mention the addition of Swisher, who is a very decent/good defensive outfielder and can play almost any position even if his usual position is first.

I am not sure of your scenario. Let's say they trade Melky for Cameron. Damon won't see the bulk of DH duties. He is still a better OFer than Matsui who will see the bulk of DH duties.

I don't have a problem going after Manny on a short 2-3 year deal. Especially since Matsui and Damon expire after this season. That is $26M off the books. However, I would rather go after Tex. Lock down 1B for the better part of a decade. Move Swisher to RF and we have a very tight defensive team.

I am worried about the offense. They were not stellar last year and Swisher is a downgrade over Giambi, Nady a downgrade over Abreu and who knows how Posada comes back?

heh I completely forgot about Matsui

I agree about Tex, but I don't think its going to happen at this point. I'm completely and 100% fine with Manny coming on board though.

I definitely see Tex going to Boston...then I see the Angels getting desperate and overpaying for Manny

I definitely see Tex going to Boston...then I see the Angels getting desperate and overpaying for Manny

The Angels were desperate for Tex. If they're not going to overpay for a guy with years left on his tires, they arent going to do it for Manny. The Angels will go for lower tiered guys like a Dunn or someone similar. I only see them getting involved on Manny if they get completely shut out.

The Yankees (nor the Mets) dont have to deal with the luxury tax this year since its the first year of the new stadium, with Damon and other guys off the books next year, this is the time to strike. I think they're laying in wait to pounce like they did on Damon a few years ago. I'd say the chances of either Tex or Manny being a Yankee is very high right now.

Tex is holding up the entire market right now, well I should say Boras.

Edited by ghdi

swisher is not a downgrade from giambi - when you factor in defense, swisher is a decent upgrade. he's not going to hit .219 again, plus he will be in a park that suits his talents. he hits something like .240/.360/.440 at his low end. his upper end is something like .270/.400/.520.

if cano can get his sh!t together, the yankees might actually not have the worst infield in baseball. a-rod's an average to above-average 3B, jeter was merely below average last year instead of outright awful, and cano has shown flashes of being very good.

Edited by Triumph

swisher is not a downgrade from giambi - when you factor in defense, swisher is a decent upgrade. he's not going to hit .219 again, plus he will be in a park that suits his talents. he hits something like .240/.360/.440 at his low end. his upper end is something like .270/.400/.520.

if cano can get his sh!t together, the yankees might actually not have the worst infield in baseball. a-rod's an average to above-average 3B, jeter was merely below average last year instead of outright awful, and cano has shown flashes of being very good.

I do not know where you are getting those projections for Swisher. He has never had an OBP higher than .380. He is a terrible hitter that strikes out constantly. You like ridiculous made up stats so try this. Swisher's best year he had an OPS+ of 127. Giambi last year had an OPS+ of 128. So Swisher's best is comparable to one of Giambi's worst. On defense, again using made up stat geek stats, who had a higher range factor in 2008 (at 1B)? The Juice.

I am not arguing for re-signing Giambi, far from it. But even at his advanced age, he is a better player than Swisher.

I do not know where you are getting those projections for Swisher. He has never had an OBP higher than .380. He is a terrible hitter that strikes out constantly. You like ridiculous made up stats so try this. Swisher's best year he had an OPS+ of 127. Giambi last year had an OPS+ of 128. So Swisher's best is comparable to one of Giambi's worst. On defense, again using made up stat geek stats, who had a higher range factor in 2008 (at 1B)? The Juice.

I am not arguing for re-signing Giambi, far from it. But even at his advanced age, he is a better player than Swisher.

lol.

1: swisher has played most of his career in oakland, which is one of the worst hitter's parks in the league if not the worst.

2: baseball prospectus rated his 90th percentile performance projection going into 2008 as .283/.403/.569 - though chicago is a better hitter's park than yankee stadium (one wonders how new yankee stadium will be). and before you get all up in arms about swisher's 2008, he had the lowest BABIP in the league, something he is not likely to repeat.

3: RZR has swisher as a better 1b than giambi, lol at 'made up stat geek stats' as though they don't measure anything. swisher can play center field for god's sake. for the sake of argument i'll say they're equal but i very much doubt this. giambi was rated as the worst 1B by RZR.

4: giambi is old and declining - the odds he plays 145 games again are slim, so even if giambi is better through the 100 or 120 games he plays next year, swisher is much more likely to play more games than him. fact is, giambi's not good enough to play first base regularly but he doesn't hit good enough to be a DH either, it will take a while for him to get a contract.

willing to bet on giambi's vs. swisher's VORP next year for sure.

Edited by Triumph

I'm not expecting Tex to sign with the Yankees, but the longer he goes without a deal, the more I won't be shocked if the Yankees sweep in and get him. Sweeny Murti wrote a decent article about the Yankees and Tex. I don't think the contract figure he talks about will happen, but I'd love to see it happen. I still think Tex is going to get a long term deal with either the Red Sox or Yankees.

Tri, if you're going to whip out the acronyms, you should at least explain what they mean, as most fans really aren't that familiar with them. It's only fair.

BABIP: Batting Average on Balls In Play

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_avera...n_balls_in_play

VORP: Value Over Replacement Player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VORP

No offense, but when you pull out the acronyms without explaining what they represent, it comes off as a "Look how much smarter I am than you that I know what this means and you don't" kind of thing. We've talked about this before...most fans don't discuss baseball in these terms, and you KNOW that.

Tri, if you're going to whip out the acronyms, you should at least explain what they mean, as most fans really aren't that familiar with them. It's only fair.

BABIP: Batting Average on Balls In Play

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_avera...n_balls_in_play

VORP: Value Over Replacement Player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VORP

No offense, but when you pull out the acronyms without explaining what they represent, it comes off as a "Look how much smarter I am than you that I know what this means and you don't" kind of thing. We've talked about this before...most fans don't discuss baseball in these terms, and you KNOW that.

What, preparing for the third consecutive "Greatest September Choke Job Ever" not enough for you?

What, preparing for the third consecutive "Greatest September Choke Job Ever" not enough for you?

Good to see that all 5' of you gets brave behind the keyboard.

I was simply telling Tri (and he agreed) that a lot of people aren't familiar with these acronyms, as they're not common knowledge to most fans and posters. What does that have to do with the Mets choking? I didn't come in here and attack the Yankees.

I was simply telling Tri (and he agreed) that a lot of people aren't familiar with these acronyms, as they're not common knowledge to most fans and posters. What does that have to do with the Mets choking? I didn't come in here and attack the Yankees.

If you are going to give me crap for posting in the Chokers thread, I will give you crap for posting in the thread dedicated to the glorious 26 time World Champions.

If you are going to give me crap for posting in the Chokers thread, I will give you crap for posting in the thread dedicated to the glorious 26 time World Champions.

I only give you crap about posting in the Met thread because you're only in there trying to stir up nonsense, and trying to piss off Met fans, and we both know you wouldn't dream of being so brave out in the real world. I'm not stirring the pot in here, and considering what's happened the last two seasons with the Mets I would look pretty stupid by trying to. Tri uses these acronyms a lot, and I don't have a problem with him doing that as long as he explains what they mean, because that allows other people who want to take part in the conversation to better understand Tri's embracing of the more "scientific" aspects of player analysis. Sabermetrics is still a pretty new concept to most baseball fans.

What do we have here......

1) Damon LF

2) Jeter SS

3) Tex 1B

4) Rodriguez 3B

5) Posada C

6) Matsui DH

7) Nady RF

8) Cano 2B

9) Cabrera/Gardner CF

Forgot Nady in the original

You knew something was up when Cashmoney said that Swisher would be the opening day 1B.

Starting to look like a baseball team.

Edited by PeteyNice