2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

I think we I like switching Joba to the 4th, and Andy to the 5th.

We need to add another position player aswell, NOT MANNY. The team that gets him will end up like the Dallas Stars.

Well the order of the rotation doesn't really matter a whole much except for the first month of the season and obviously the playoffs. I have Joba as the fifth guy so they can skip his turn in the rotation during that first month to help limit his innings. I see your point about Manny, I don't think he is going to necessarily be as bad as Avery is to the Stars, but my biggest concern is how much Manny will want to play as he gets his last big contract before retirement. I'd rather pass on him and go after Tex but I doubt they are going to get him.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankees have made a five-year offer to free agent A.J. Burnett, reports Jerry Crasnick at ESPN.com, who believes the pitcher is seeking a similar deal to what Carlos Zambrano signed with the Cubs, i.e., five-years, $90 million

metsblog.com

Yanks are still the leaders for Lowe, but the Mets and Red Sox could become dark horse's.

Does anyone know what kind of compensatory picks we have to give Milwaukee for CC? I read a few weeks back that the Brewers filed for arbitration with him, ensuring they would receive picks if someone else signed him.

The Brewers get the Yankees first round pick, and then a supplemental round pick. Good news though...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/10/yank...rst-round-pick/

By signing CC Sabathia, the Yankees will lose their first-round pick in the draft to the Brewers.

However

I think Burnett is going to go to Atlanta...80M offer on the table...I do not see how the Yankees top that but even moreso..WHY would they want to top that for a injury riddled starter

Because he's been successful in the division. He's also coming off an injury-free year. Thats not saying hes going to be 100% this entire season, but considering that, its a worthwhile risk. He may also want a chance to win and I'd bet the Yankees are a better bet than the Braves, as both east divisions have 2 to 3 teams ahead of everyone else. AJ also used to be a rear back fireballer and since he's retooled his arsenal, hes become much less injury prone and uses his fastball more effectively.

Theres other guys Id rather have, but the only way the Yankees can get the rotation back to some semblance of effectiveness is free agency as its practically the only way they can do it. They dont have the pieces to trade for a guy like Peavy (who I would kill for), so they have to take a chance on a guy like Burnett if need be.

Why do people care about the Yankees' payroll? They could have the top priced guys at every position in the game and still be making money. Until theres a salary cap in baseball, its irrelevant, ticket prices are not going to change even if they had a bargain basement cost team.

Edited by ghdi

Well the order of the rotation doesn't really matter a whole much except for the first month of the season and obviously the playoffs. I have Joba as the fifth guy so they can skip his turn in the rotation during that first month to help limit his innings. I see your point about Manny, I don't think he is going to necessarily be as bad as Avery is to the Stars, but my biggest concern is how much Manny will want to play as he gets his last big contract before retirement. I'd rather pass on him and go after Tex but I doubt they are going to get him.

Id take Manny in a heartbeat. Yea, he was a prick in Boston and is not exactly a character guy (neither was Reggie), but the guy produces when it counts (take notes A-Rod) and you know he'd love to stick to Boston all year long. Manny in the middle of this lineup would be devastating and Im sure hitting in between Jeter and A-Rod is enticing to him. I guarantee you Red Sox Nation's biggest fear is seeing Manny in pinstripes, moreso than Damon, moreso than Boggs.

Comparing him to Avery is completely unfair when his last years in Boston were virtually the only times hes ever acted up. Manny is on-par with the best in the game, Avery never has and never will be that. I can understand the trepidation, but at the end of the day, we don't know the exact reasons why he acted how he did, and he certainly showed up for LA regardless of it being a contract year. Its also unfair to blame Avery alone for the Stars' woes when Marty Turco is sh!tting the bed for the first 2 months of the season.

Edited by ghdi

The Brewers get the Yankees first round pick, and then a supplemental round pick. Good news though...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/12/10/yank...rst-round-pick/

That is good news. As much as gambling and losing on free agents in recent years has killed the Yanks, it's losing the compensatory picks that has really crippled the franchise. Seeing as how we're really in a situation where we need to sign some talent to have a legitimate shot this season (especially pitching), the fact that we'll have first and second round picks no matter what is really good.

Burnett to the Yankees apparently close to being finalized.

$91m over 5.

Disgusting numbers all around, haha I love the Steinbrenners.

Also saying that they wont sign both Burnett and Lowe, 1 of those 2 and Sheets or Pettitte.

Edited by ghdi

Melky to the Brewers for Mike Cameron (CC's homeboy)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...abrera_t-1.html

There's CF taken care of for a year until Jackson is ready.

Bo or Reggie? ;)

Yankees needed to replace Melky, but the fans will be griping about Cameron -- guaranteed. All those whiffs.

Edited by Jerrydevil

They're fools then, since strikeouts are only marginally worse than regular outs. This gives Gardner another year to find some power in his stroke.

So the Yankees' team looks like -

Damon-Cameron-Nady OF

A-Rod-Jeter-Cano-Swisher IF

Posada C

Matsui DH

looks pretty good. There's not a weak spot in that lineup. And I don't think the Yankees are finished.

They're fools then, since strikeouts are only marginally worse than regular outs. This gives Gardner another year to find some power in his stroke.

So the Yankees' team looks like -

Damon-Cameron-Nady OF

A-Rod-Jeter-Cano-Swisher IF

Posada C

Matsui DH

looks pretty good. There's not a weak spot in that lineup. And I don't think the Yankees are finished.

There's a lot of LOBs in that lineup.

Holy sh!t. To think the Jays were trying to re-sign Burnett at 5 years-60 million. AJ is an interesting pitcher. Last year once Cito took over, he was on fire as Yankees fans know full well. When he is on, he is as good as a pitcher in all of baseball. He becomes unhittable. But he only did that for one out of 3 seasons. In the past he has had a ton of control problems. Can't locate his curveball or fastball, falls behind in counts, and then that fastball, no matter how fast it is, a major league player can hit when it is 3-0.

As for CC...that is a pretty sad moment in professional sports. Maybe he has started a trend, holding out knowing full the Yankees will give you as much money as possible. 60 fvcking million more than any other team. That is just insane. But for the Yankees it doesn't matter, and they immediately become a much better team with him. Only two question marks on their starting pitching staff now.

Edited by devilsrule33

As for CC...that is a pretty sad moment in professional sports. Maybe he has started a trend, holding out knowing full the Yankees will give you as much money as possible. 60 fvcking million more than any other team. That is just insane. But for the Yankees it doesn't matter, and they immediately become a much better team with him. Only two question marks on their pitching staff now.

Eh. Its baseball free agency. Its typical big market spending by baseball's biggest clubs. I wont be surprised if the Sawx sign Tex to a 8 or 10 year deal. Until there's a salary cap in place, its not a surprise. I dont blame Sabathia nor the Yankees. I'm just glad it got done.

That being said, I want Manny on this team. I just want to see him in pinstripes up against Boston in September in a race. Call it vanity or whatever, I think he'd be great, plus hes a New Yorker.

Also, Jayson Stark contradicted the Daily News, saying that even if the Yanks sign Burnett, they still may get Lowe or at least wont be out of it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=37...;type=blogEntry

Now this is funny:

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/1...e_in_peril.html

The Yankees' attempts to acquire center fielder Mike Cameron from Milwaukee for Melky Cabrera have stalled out today over money. According to two people familiar with the talks, the Yankees asked the Brewers to include cash to help cover part of Cameron's $10 million salary. The Brewers, who just the day before watched the Yankees sign CC Sabathia away from them for a ludicrous $161 million, became incensed that the Yankees would ask them for money, and the sides parted company with the deal incomplete.

A Yankees official told me the deal was "not dead," but that he believed talks wouldn't resume for a few days if they do at all.

There were several permutations of this deal discussed. The Brewers would pay some money if the Yankees would include a young pitcher, such as Ian Kennedy, along with Cabrera. The Yankees didn't want to include Kennedy without getting another player in return, such as Bill Hall, who they view as a super-utility type who could back up all infield and outfield positions. They also tried to include Kei Igawa in the deal, but the Brewers told them they weren't interested in Igawa.

Bottom line, the Yankees like Cameron and are pursuing him for center field, but the negotiations aren't going as smoothly as it appeared they were yesterday and they are now considering other options in case they can't get him.

That is good news. As much as gambling and losing on free agents in recent years has killed the Yanks, it's losing the compensatory picks that has really crippled the franchise. Seeing as how we're really in a situation where we need to sign some talent to have a legitimate shot this season (especially pitching), the fact that we'll have first and second round picks no matter what is really good.

Its not only losing the picks but they picks they made haven't panned out too well. With Oppenheimer and Contreras at the helm that has improved drastically the past couple of drafts. Its nice the Yankees are guaranteed picks but even if they weren't I wouldn't get too upset since this years draft is perceived as being much weaker than the past couple of ones.

I'm not sold on the contract Burnett could be getting. The guy finally had a full healthy year and only posted an *ERA+ of 105 and had a WHIP 1.342. He's going to be 32 and has had an injury riddled career, I am concerned about him staying healthy over the course of a 5 year deal making at least $16.5M plus a year. Plus his prime years are going to be behind him soon and the final years of the deal could be bad. I hope he goes to Atlanta.

Yankees lost 4 guys in the Rule V Draft today. Nova (Padres), Corona (Mariners), Kroenke (Marlins, and Jones (Twins).

I'm happy that Cox and Horne weren't selected. I expect Nova to be returned but wouldn't be shocked to see one or two of Jones, Kroenke, or Corona stick. Corona is at best going to be a utility infielder and with Seattle in rebuilidng mode he has a chance to stick around. Jones and Kroenke will get a shot in spring training and if they don't impress they will probably be returned.

I'm not sold on the contract Burnett could be getting. The guy finally had a full healthy year and only posted an *ERA+ of 105 and had a WHIP 1.342. He's going to be 32 and has had an injury riddled career, I am concerned about him staying healthy over the course of a 5 year deal making at least $16.5M plus a year. Plus his prime years are going to be behind him soon and the final years of the deal could be bad. I hope he goes to Atlanta.

I hope he doesn't go to Atlanta. He's easily the best pitcher left and is a lower risk than you're giving him credit for.

Money: There is no salary cap. This isn't Kansas City or Florida.

Worst case scenario: He breaks down (ala Pavano) and the Yankees go out and get someone else. The only reason they couldn't when Pavano broke down was because they had nothing on the farm and very few trade pieces (they still won't anytime soon most likely) and more importantly, there was nothing on the free agent market in terms of starters. Thats why they stood pat last year (when they should've traded for Santana, but whatever) That's the more pressing issue. The Yankees do not have the farm talent at this time and do not have enough viable trade pieces to get starting pitching and theres very little on the horizon on the FA market in the next 2 years. You're forgetting the plusses. The guy is a beast against the AL East (notably Boston, he's 5-0 with an ERA under 3 in his last 8 against them) and there are very few pitchers of his caliber hitting the market anytime soon unless someone does something they've not done before.

Reasons for getting him: If the Yankees were to not get Burnett, they would likely go after Lowe or even the more injured and scarier (in terms of health) Sheets. 32 is not exactly old when guys like Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Jamie freakin Moyer, etc. all pitched into their 40s. He's not the fireballer that got hurt every 3 starts anymore.

If he stays healthy hes good for 150-200 innings minimum. He also had the 3rd most strikeouts in the majors last year, behind only CC and Lincecum (a.k.a. most in the AL). He gave up less hits and the same amount of HRs as CC and pitched only 30 less innings than CC. I don't even bother looking at his W-L (hell he was still 18-10), when he's playing for Toronto, who were bottom five in the AL for run support, put Burnett on one of the playoff teams last year and he wins 20 games easily. Toronto as a team had the best WHIP in the majors last year btw, thanks to AJ and Halladay. He threw only 2 more walks than Lincecum!

You're smoking crack if you want to pass on Burnett and basing it on money and his health history, when in actuality, he's had two straight years of minimum 150 innings pitched. If this was Kansas City or Florida, you'd have an argument for the money, but not with the Yankees.

Edited by ghdi

You're smoking crack if you want to pass on Burnett and basing it on money and his health history, when in actuality, he's had two straight years of minimum 150 innings pitched. If this was Kansas City or Florida, you'd have an argument for the money, but not with the Yankees.

There is some validity to what you say IMO, but here's the sticky part: You know the DL stints are coming, but when are they coming? If they come in the fall, your investment turns sour. But I understand that there's competition for this guy, which means the price goes up. And the Yankees can afford to overpay and take the risk that it doesn't work out, hello Carl Pavano and Andy Morales (I like that one, even though the Yankees relatively didn't pay him that much to do nothing).