2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Agreed. Is there a stat for a fielder's runs given up vs. his runs batted in? There are so many asinine stats nowadays, anythings possible :P

there certainly is. well, at least runs given up. manny was usually around a -20 for the red sox as i recall, and that's playing at fenway where all you have to do is learn the angles.

i think swisher and nady make for tremendous platoon options/pinch hitters and that both should be kept around. nady crushes left handed pitching in his career, he hits .308/.383/.470 over his career vs. left-handers, so it's basically like having rickey henderson without speed in the lineup for you vs. lefties. i'd examine getting rid of matsui, as a DH he's merely average and he's gone from a poor fielder to an atrocious one.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd examine getting rid of matsui

According to Olney (him or someone) this is exactly what they're examining.

edit: It was Sherman.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12232008/sport...sson_145601.htm

Theres some problems with moving him though. He's got a full no-trade for one and moving him is the essence of an uphill climb right now. I don't see the Yankees dogging him out and try to force him to move either. He's only got a year left, so he's off the books no matter what next season. I imagine for him to be moved he'd have to be guaranteed a deal somewhere else and that may be hard.

If the Yankees are moving anyone, it'll be Nady or Cabrera IMO. Not that I want Nady to be moved, but in all seriousness I see them standing pat aside from adding a small piece.

Heh Matsui and Kennedy for Ichiro! lol

Edited by ghdi

Moving Matsui isn't essential but I don't see where he fits in so, yeah. I just hope the Yankees have the good sense to only play him in 130 games or so. His platoon splits aren't that bad but he should never play against a left hander next season.

Didnt Hideki hit better against lefties over the past couple years? I may be wrong....

lol at all the people saying we are trying to buy the WS again when our payroll right now is actually less then last years

Holy spinmeister, Batman!

The Yankees are trying to buy a championship. But I say it with no disgust or malice. It's just a fact.

But they still have to beat other teams to do it. Let's see how the new guys handle the pressure, because there will be plenty of it. My prediction is that by July, Yankee fans will be complaining that CC Sabathia really didn't want to play in N.Y.

Holy spinmeister, Batman!

The Yankees are trying to buy a championship. But I say it with no disgust or malice. It's just a fact.

But they still have to beat other teams to do it. Let's see how the new guys handle the pressure, because there will be plenty of it. My prediction is that by July, Yankee fans will be complaining that CC Sabathia really didn't want to play in N.Y.

Every team is trying to "buy a championship". Players don't work for free.

Teixeira makes what Giambi made last year

Burnett makes what Pettitte made last year

Sabathia makes what Mussina and Pavano combined made last year

That doesn't include Abreu's $16M

What did you want the Yankees to do with that money? Put it under their mattress?

Every team is trying to "buy a championship". Players don't work for free.

Teixeira makes what Giambi made last year

Burnett makes what Pettitte made last year

Sabathia makes what Mussina and Pavano combined made last year

That doesn't include Abreu's $16M

What did you want the Yankees to do with that money? Put it under their mattress?

Where has the home grown talent gone? Do you remember the Yankees of the 90's?

edit: And its not true at all that every team is trying to buy a championship. Look at the Rays. They are a very small market team never in rumors or deals with big name players. They are majority home-grown.

Edited by nmigliore

Where has the home grown talent gone? Do you remember the Yankees of the 90's?

edit: And its not true at all that every team is trying to buy a championship. Look at the Rays. They are a very small market team never in rumors or deals with big name players. They are majority home-grown.

And they all get paid money. More money than 99% of Americans.

As for Tampa. Care to try that again? In their standard starting lineup three players were drafted by them (Upton, Crawford, Longoria).

In their rotation? Two. Sonnastine and Shields.

The Yankees in their typical lineup had four guys they drafted (Jeter, Posada, Cano, Cabrera) and their rotation had three starters (Wang, Joba, Pettitte). Four or five if you count Hughes and Kennedy.

So the Yankees are more "home grown" than Tampa. I do not see that as something desirable, but since you brought it up...

And they all get paid money. More money than 99% of Americans.

As for Tampa. Care to try that again? In their standard starting lineup three players were drafted by them (Upton, Crawford, Longoria).

In their rotation? Two. Sonnastine and Shields.

The Yankees in their typical lineup had four guys they drafted (Jeter, Posada, Cano, Cabrera) and their rotation had three starters (Wang, Joba, Pettitte). Four or five if you count Hughes and Kennedy.

So the Yankees are more "home grown" than Tampa. I do not see that as something desirable, but since you brought it up...

Paid money? What baseball player doesn't? The point is the Yankee$ dish out ridiculous amounts of cash.. Yet teams with much smaller payrolls, like the Rays, somehow end up in the World Series while the Yankee$ watch it on TV.

The Yankees of the 90s had success with having their home grown talent like Posada, Williams, Rivera, Jeter, Pettite, etc.. Which approach works better? Buying everyone on the market or growing players and adding in the market pieces? You tell me. Because history points to the latter.

Regarding your typical Yankee lineup - Hughes and Kennedy? Did they win a game? Just because they throw them out there doesn't make them stars or at least quality players that are home grown, at least not yet. Last time I checked they wanted to dump Cano and Cabrera. Jeter and River and Posada are all remains of the 90's home grown guys and Joba and Wang have been the only 2 great recent home grown players.

I was wrong about the Rays. I thought they had more home grown players; Guess not.. but they still never make any headline signings and somehow managed to win the AL East convincingly and make it to the WS with a small payroll. How?!

edit: Oh and one other thing about the Rays - those guys that are their home grown players, I'd say they are pretty damn important and played a large part in getting them to the WS. Even if it really is only 5.

Edited by nmigliore

No Petey, I expect the Yankees to spend big money on players. And I don't think it's bad for baseball that they do so. The big payroll doesn't guarantee a championship. It never did.

But you and other Yankee fans are too sensitive. The high payroll makes the Yankees a lightning rod for criticism, and makes them easy to hate. Also good for baseball. You need a good villain, and the Pinstripes are it.

name all the homegrown players on the 2004 red sox please.

the only virtues to homegrown players and why people talk about them so much is because A: they tend to be cheap and B: they tend to be young and thus more durable. that's it. now when you have situations when a lot of bad contracts are ending, things can get ugly for a team - if they're paying 8 figures a year to a guy who is barely hitting his weight.

but for stuff like 'heart' - please. sure, there are always going to be guys who are dogging it out there, but the yankees have been pretty good about bringing in guys who aren't like that, carl pavano excepted. the yankees tend to have the opposite problem - players overwhelmed by the pressure of new york trying to do well who can't.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Yankees are finally rounding out the rotation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3861386

The New York Yankees and Andy Pettitte are close on a deal that will bring the veteran left-hander back for a year, Major League Baseball sources told Buster Olney on Monday.

The deal, sources told Olney, could be done as soon as Monday afternoon. It would pay Pettitte nearly $6 million, with incentives that could make it worth as much as $12 million.

I am not totally sold on Pettitte but if Sheets' medical files look as bad as have been reported I can live with Pettitte as a 4/5 starter....

1) CC

2) CM

3) AJ

4) AP

5) JC

---

6) PH

7) IPK

Not bad. Loads more depth than last year.

Looks like the Yankees are finally rounding out the rotation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3861386

I am not totally sold on Pettitte but if Sheets' medical files look as bad as have been reported I can live with Pettitte as a 4/5 starter....

1) CC

2) CM

3) AJ

4) AP

5) JC

---

6) PH

7) IPK

Not bad. Loads more depth than last year.

I really like the deal Pettitte got. The Yankees really need to fill those 200 innings that were floating around and he is a very solid option to do that. Plus as you mentioned, the depth they have is great with Hughes, Kennedy, and Aceves waiting in the wings if and when injuries happen. I was willing to consider Sheets depending on the deal, when the guy is healthy, he is nasty, but with Burnett in the rotation, that would have been quite the gamble. I am very happy with this rotation.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I like that Andy is back. He probably wishes he signed sooner and got the $10M guaranteed, but that's business.

I'm hoping Phil Hughes gets a shot at the 5th spot rather than Joba. Kennedy sucks out loud, but between Hughes' injury and the Rick Vaughan-esque appearance of glasses late in the season, I hope the Yanks will finally have him at 100% and we'll see the real Hughes this season. Keep the Joba-Mo combo and the starters/middle relief only have to worry about seven innings every night.

I don't want to re-hash the entire Joba debate since I think its been beaten to death way too many times. The bottom line is the guy is more valuable as a starter, he has always been a starter, he was told to prepare to pitch the year as a starter, so I don't see the sense in moving him to the bullpen. They need him to get his innings, they can't put it off and put him in the bullpen.

With the additions of Sabathia and Burnett, and Pettitte re-upping for another go around, not only is the rotation better than last year, but they have a lot more depth. They can afford to take their time with Hughes and Kennedy and let them get more innings and develop more in AAA. I'm still not writing Kennedy off completely, he had a solid offseason in Puerto Rico and I want to give him more time to see if he can put his game back together. The Yankees can be patient with him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him packaged in a trade at some point in the year though. Still its nice to have guys like him and Aceves waiting in the wings for when injuries happen. I'm still high on Hughes and hope he can put together a full healthy, solid year at AAA. He's should be able to take over after this year for Pettitte's spot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BA List

Three Yankees in Baseball America's Top 100 prospects for 2009:

36. Austin Jackson OF (future CF) Age 22 ETA: 2009 (very likely in my opinion)

38. Jesus Montero C (probably future 1B/DH according to most scouts) Age 19 ETA: 2011

92. Andrew Brackman RHP Age 23 ETA: 2010 (perhaps but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a bit longer due to his injury history and the fact that they have a lot of depth)

John Manuel commented in the chat that Dellin Betances (RHP) just missed out due to his injury history. He does have a ton of potential.

man i wish jesus montero could stay at catcher. finding a catcher who can hit even close to league average is tough. jose molina basically sunk the yankees season last year with his terrible hitting. i don't care if the guy puts his mask on backwards, leave him behind the plate.

Edited by Triumph

man i wish jesus montero could stay at catcher. finding a catcher who can hit even close to league average is tough. jose molina basically sunk the yankees season last year with his terrible hitting. i don't care if the guy puts his mask on backwards, leave him behind the plate.

All I can go by is what I read from places like BA and most scouts seem to think that as his body fills out, it will be very hard for him to stay behind the plate. A lot of the more knowledgeable posters at a Yankee forum I go to seem to agree.

I guess if he has to move from catcher, we need to hope that Austin Romine fulfills his potential. He posted a .781 OPS in Low A ball last year. Hopefully he can have another good year and advance.