GDT: Washington @ New Jersey 7 pm

nick17112

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rapidly becoming sick of this team's effort level.

what is troubling is that the team to a man (including sutter by his pregame conference) believe that the effort is there and their just not burying their chances.

i implore all of you to watch the madden/pando combo the rest of this game. i think if more people do, with non-devils colored glasses, you'll start to get an idea of where the problems really lie on this team - 20 minutes for two slow, no-offense guys (1st goal aside). the terrible PK is their fault. tonight's 1st 2 goals where on them.

Well this isn't a very good way to start the night.

Honestly though, it's ridiculous to get angry at a player for one bad game or when they miss a few opportunities to score, but Langs and Gio have just been horrendous at putting it in the net. And it seems that they are the only two who really get any quality chances... which is a compliment on their positioning and intelligence, unfortunately neither have one iota of accuracy on their shot. And for Elias, ugh, he just never seems to get any good scoring chances.

Zubrus/Zajac grind and create but they have no scorer's touch. Really, it's just Parise which is sad.

Edited by Banzai Riley

what is troubling is that the team to a man (including sutter by his pregame conference) believe that the effort is there and their just not burying their chances.

i implore all of you to watch the madden/pando combo the rest of this game. i think if more people do, with non-devils colored glasses, you'll start to get an idea of where the problems really lie on this team - 20 minutes for two slow, no-offense guys (1st goal aside). the terrible PK is their fault. tonight's 1st 2 goals where on them.

There is some truth to that you know, I mean other than the second half of the Ranger game and the first period of the Sabres game the effort's been there for the most part, they usually outshoot the other team and frankly they're not as good as most of the teams they're playing.

Madden, Pando and Langs all look like they've gotten old at once. Combine that with no Marty or Rolston and you have a team that's much worse than the one lucky to get 99 points last year.

All these years was the prowess of the Madden/Pando PK Legend Truth

....or

Was it all merely all Brodeur and in fact a big lie????

In the first period, I was thinking more in terms of Madden and Pando's aging has been rapidly accelerated this year by not having Marty.

Edited by Hasan4978

I agree wholeheartedly that we give way too much time to Madden, Pando, Rupp, etc. etc. etc. These are guys who cannot find the net regularly with the puck, and yet, they're out there for as you say 20 minutes per game. Both nice guys, both work hard, but they're getting older, slower, and they still can't score.

True, its supposed to be our shutdown line, but they can't do it anymore. They're too old and slow to be put up against the opposing team's young guns. Someone has to be on ovechkin like on that last goal. The first goal was on clemmer, and possibly a screen by the defensemen.

Effort has nothing to do with Jamie having half an open net and shooting the puck perfectly into Theodore's glove. Everyone's got to face the fact that it's not always effort when you lose, this team just sucks right now.

There's a part of it that is effort. I'll point you back to the series vs. Ottawa in which Ottawa won the first 3 games, and we came out in game 4 with skates on fire to send it back to Ottawa. Were we more talented than Ottawa? No, but you can certainly step it up a level and play .500 hockey until Brodeur comes back. Maybe, you sneak in as an 8 seed, and you're a dangerous team to play in the playoffs.

I agree Madden and Pando are hurting us right now. They are getting a ton of minutes but aren't producing anything out there. At worst case you would hope they would at least help shut down the opposition but that hasn't been going so well either. I'm not sure what the hell happened to Madden but it's like night and day for him when you look at this season compared to last year.

There is just so little margin for error right now and it sucks. I thought the team was pretty good for the first half of the period but just as usual they miss some good opportunities and then find themselves trailing. At least they got on the board early though. Hopefully they find a way to bury a few pucks tonight and stop the bleeding.

There's a part of it that is effort. I'll point you back to the series vs. Ottawa in which Ottawa won the first 3 games, and we came out in game 4 with skates on fire to send it back to Ottawa. Were we more talented than Ottawa? No, but you can certainly step it up a level and play .500 hockey until Brodeur comes back. Maybe, you sneak in as an 8 seed, and you're a dangerous team to play in the playoffs.

First of all you're talking about three years ago not this year, and the series was not Ottawa it was Carolina where we lost the first three games and won the fourth at home. Ottawa we won Game 2 when Jamie scored in OT and then lost the next three.

Secondly, we weren't as good a team as Ottawa anyway. We probably should have done better against Carolina but I think the long layoff combined with the emotional letdown everyone (including fans) felt after the post-Ranger sweep killed them, not to mention the late goal in Game 2.

And how is the team supposed to 'step it up' when the coaching is questionable, the overall defense is suspect, the offense is a joke and the goaltending is mediocre at best? Even .500 is probably asking a lot though the schedule the next couple weeks isn't that bad.

I feared a long losing streak with the game at Detroit last week, the amount of people missing the lineup from Edmonton and the schedule this week and it looks like it's come to pass.

Edited by Hasan4978

First of all you're talking about three years ago not this year, and the series was not Ottawa it was Carolina where we lost the first three games and won the fourth at home. Ottawa we won Game 2 when Jamie scored in OT and then lost the next three.

Secondly, we weren't as good a team as Ottawa anyway. We probably should have done better against Carolina but I think the long layoff combined with the emotional letdown everyone (including fans) felt after the post-Ranger sweep killed them, not to mention the late goal in Game 2.

And how is the team supposed to 'step it up' when the coaching is questionable, the overall defense is suspect, the offense is a joke and the goaltending is mediocre at best? Even .500 is probably asking a lot though the schedule the next couple weeks isn't that bad.

I feared a long losing streak with the game at Detroit last week, the amount of people missing the lineup from Edmonton and the schedule this week and it looks like it's come to pass.

I meant Carolina and typed Ottawa. Heh. What I mean is it's easy to say there's no Brodeur and plenty of injuries and maybe not skate as hard or hit as hard or anything like that. It takes hard work to win when you are understaffed, but if you work hard as the opening of this period has shown, you can at least give teams fits if you are not as talented.

Goal! There's that fire, keep your fire.

I meant Carolina and typed Ottawa. Heh. What I mean is it's easy to say there's no Brodeur and plenty of injuries and maybe not skate as hard or hit as hard or anything like that. It takes hard work to win when you are understaffed, but if you work hard as the opening of this period has shown, you can at least give teams fits if you are not as talented.

Goal! There's that fire, keep your fire.

And my point is effort isn't the sole reason you don't score goals or give them up. The Devils have given the same effort in the second that they did in the first (and so did the Caps, if one team's effort's been lacking it's theirs) fortunately Jamie and the PP were both way overdue to score :P

What the Devils have now for the first time in weeks is confidence offensively. Hopefully it keeps up, they need at least one more.

Edited by Hasan4978