Trade Thought

sundstrom

So I was reading this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,122304

courtesy of our buddy Jester's blog.

It got me thinking, could Lou deal Gionta for Lehtonen in the near future? It actually makes sense for both teams. Atlanta seems to have found a new goaltender in pavelec. i think the bloom is off the kari rose for them. they're looking for additional help up front.

now i know the devils offense is terrible and it begs the question why the devils would deal an offensive player like gionta. but with rolston's eventual return, that slot will be taken again. in the mean time, the devils can have a top 6 of elias, zubrus, parise, zajac, clarkson, and langenbrunner. certainly not ideal - bergfors or vrana make the better case for the top 6 than clarkson. but kari is a huge upgrade over weekes and clemmenson. it stabilizes the devils' goaltending until brodeur returns.

for those that would say that kari is too good to be a back up and his $3MM is too much to carry in that spot, he would be in that roll for at most 2 months (and likely less if marty isn't a quick healer and back at the end of february). he's an RFA at the end of the season - he is an asset that can be traded whereas gionta will be lost for nothing (unless he's dealt at the deadline).

this makes more sense to me than dealing a 3rd round pick for a pending UFA in one of the Edmonton scrubs. my only concern is lehtonen's injury history.

Eh I dunno... it's definitely a quick fix.. but then when Marty gets healthy, we're down a top-6 foreward and have 2 good backups (in Weekesie and Kari) twiddling their thumbs.

too much of the season could be lost by weekes and clemmenson by the time that marty gets healthy. by that time, if the devils are out of it, they're still dealing gionta. it's about keeping the team viable until marty returns.

too much of the season could be lost by weekes and clemmenson by the time that marty gets healthy. by that time, if the devils are out of it, they're still dealing gionta. it's about keeping the team viable until marty returns.

I bet once they trade Gionta he'll turn back into a scoring machine. :argh:

So I was reading this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,122304

courtesy of our buddy Jester's blog.

It got me thinking, could Lou deal Gionta for Lehtonen in the near future? It actually makes sense for both teams. Atlanta seems to have found a new goaltender in pavelec. i think the bloom is off the kari rose for them. they're looking for additional help up front.

now i know the devils offense is terrible and it begs the question why the devils would deal an offensive player like gionta. but with rolston's eventual return, that slot will be taken again. in the mean time, the devils can have a top 6 of elias, zubrus, parise, zajac, clarkson, and langenbrunner. certainly not ideal - bergfors or vrana make the better case for the top 6 than clarkson. but kari is a huge upgrade over weekes and clemmenson. it stabilizes the devils' goaltending until brodeur returns.

for those that would say that kari is too good to be a back up and his $3MM is too much to carry in that spot, he would be in that roll for at most 2 months (and likely less if marty isn't a quick healer and back at the end of february). he's an RFA at the end of the season - he is an asset that can be traded whereas gionta will be lost for nothing (unless he's dealt at the deadline).

this makes more sense to me than dealing a 3rd round pick for a pending UFA in one of the Edmonton scrubs. my only concern is lehtonen's injury history.

You bring up some good points there. Just not sure about putting Gionta in that trade. if Gionta is going to leave at the end of this season for sure then pull the trigger. I have always liked Lehtonen and thought about him last night when Atlanta won their 5th game in a row and Pavelec has been outstanding for them. Lehtonen has always played good games against the Devils and have beaten them a couple times. The thing is, does Lou have Lehtonen on his list of goalies? Hopefully he does and there is a chance of acquiring him in a trade. Lehtonen would be better than getting Garon or Roloson from Edmonton.

A top D man is the only soloution to our problem.

Our point shots are laughable as is our outlet passes and th eheart of our game is:

1.) Dump, chase, lose puck control (thanks Gio)

2.) Chip up the boards (and eventually ignite the other teams offenseive rush)

Even a great goalie is going to give up goals with the onslaught of continous point-blank shots from the slot.

I've got a fever....and the only perscription is Francois Beauchimin. :dance:

We need scoring not a goaltender. Gionta will get the Devils very little in a trade what team would want him based on his play? He is small and can't hit the net. He needs to be a package with a fair rookie to move to another team for a rookie in return or a 3rd liner.

Edited by LucifersDog

I am still pissed we passed on Pavelec for Frazee in the 2005 draft. I seen Pavelec all year and he was my 2nd favorite goaltender in the draft behind only Rask....Price has proven me wrong though.

Glad we did.

My girlfriend thinks he's one of the most attractive guys ever. Ugh.

Edited by Confusious

Eh I dunno... it's definitely a quick fix.. but then when Marty gets healthy, we're down a top-6 foreward and have 2 good backups (in Weekesie and Kari) twiddling their thumbs.

Two good backups? When healthy Lehtonen is a bonified starter in the NHL. Amzing abililities to steal the game ala Luongo. If he ever got out of that system.

A top D man is the only soloution to our problem.

Our point shots are laughable as is our outlet passes and th eheart of our game is:

1.) Dump, chase, lose puck control (thanks Gio)

2.) Chip up the boards (and eventually ignite the other teams offenseive rush)

Even a great goalie is going to give up goals with the onslaught of continous point-blank shots from the slot.

I've got a fever....and the only perscription is Francois Beauchimin. :dance:

Well put. Well, everything until the Beauchimin crack! :lol:

can't see it, sundstrom. at the end of the year, what then? Lehtonen signs in Russia? (this is very possible, i imagine). atlanta would need a 2nd round pick along with gionta to make that happen. although they were stupid enough to give up on braydon coburn for alexei zhitnik..

on the plus side, i had a dream the devils traded for vesa toskala - they gave up tony romano and richard rochefort. ah well, a man can dream.

Edited by Triumph

Eh, Beauchmin's a fine player...but I don't think DLA knew he was about to be put on IR for six months at the time of his post :P

Your right.

Barring the injury Beauch would have been the #2 D man on everyone's list after JBou this year (and still may be). This guy doesn't get the widespread attention due to the marqis D names already on the Ducks roster, and he's a West coaster. He would be just what the doctor ordered for us.

Deadly point shot, can move a puck, and takes the body.