Where to put Rolston?

DaneykoIsGod

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner line seems to be untouchable in Sutter's eyes, and the Elias-Zubrus-Gionta line has been on fire lately. This all begs the question: If you're the coach of the New Jersey Devils, where do you put Rolston when he returns?

ZZ Pops has proven itself since the advent of the season.

With the Gizubrias line (or whatever) - my bet is you wait to see if they can produce and battle as well against some of the more balanced and competitive teams and make a decision to keep or break from there.

With the Gizubrias line (or whatever) - my bet is you wait to see if they can produce and battle as well against some of the more balanced and competitive teams and make a decision to keep or break from there.

El Zubrionta? It sounds like a Mexican discotheque.

On to the topic, Rolston will immediately be thrust back on to the first line. The Devils didn't sign him to waste away as a defensive forward with the offensively inept duo. At that point, Holik will have returned and Zubrus will in all likelihood be exiled to the fourth line to join him. This is disappointing because it's truly wasting Dainius' talents, but he'll still get time on the powerplay.

El Zubrionta? It sounds like a Mexican discotheque.

On to the topic, Rolston will immediately be thrust back on to the first line. The Devils didn't sign him to waste away as a defensive forward with the offensively inept duo. At that point, Holik will have returned and Zubrus will in all likelihood be exiled to the fourth line to join him. This is disappointing because it's truly wasting Dainius' talents, but he'll still get time on the powerplay.

I say send down Langenbrunner and use Rolston in his place.

Zubrus is the most underrated player on the team, methinks.

- Jeff

Didn't we sign Zubrus last year to "replace" Gomez on the top line?

Um... no... that would be insanity based on the skill sets and past performances

they signed him because he was the best "fit" guy on the open the market... THE FANS assumed that he was Gomez 2.0 (oddly enough centering Elias and Gio .... he kinda IS now :P)

I'd like to try him on the Zajac line too, but with Langenbrunner's improved play of late, I don't see that happening. If I wanted to get really experimental I'd put Rolston back on the top line and put Zubrus with Madden and Clarkson on his wings and have Pando-Holik-Rupp - I don't see it though.

Zubrus has just got to finish more chances though. I know he doesn't have much finish, it explains most of his career, but it's unacceptable.

I think they should try Rolston with Madden and Pandolfo. The other 2 lines are just doing too well imo.

I agree remember he has been on and off the ice during rehab. i say put him out with madden and pando let him get his feet underneath him again. the top two lines are performing so he doesnt have to step in and fill a huge hole right away. eventually he will be back on the top line because that is the caliber player he has proven he is.

I'd like to try him on the Zajac line too, but with Langenbrunner's improved play of late, I don't see that happening. If I wanted to get really experimental I'd put Rolston back on the top line and put Zubrus with Madden and Clarkson on his wings and have Pando-Holik-Rupp - I don't see it though.

Zubrus has just got to finish more chances though. I know he doesn't have much finish, it explains most of his career, but it's unacceptable.

I don't think Zubrus needs to finish more. He's a lot of the reason his line mates are performing so well, I think. I'm thinking, for example, of the play a few nights ago where he and Gio worked down low, Zubrus protected the puck up the half boards, dumped it back to Gio (nice pass), who centered it to Elias for the deek- goal. Zubrus' work protecting the puck and making the pass to Gio (no look?) setup that goal.

- Jeff

That's exactly why Rolston should take Zubrus' place on the first line we he returns. Rolston is like a less physical Zubrus, but he is a much better scorer.

Langenbrunner played his game of the season last night. If I had to use him soemwhere it would be centering Elias and Gionta. Zubrus can play right side with Madden, surely helping Madden's offensive stats. When Zubrus gets the cycle on down low against the opponents top line, keeps them out of our offensive zone.

I don't think Zubrus needs to finish more. He's a lot of the reason his line mates are performing so well, I think. I'm thinking, for example, of the play a few nights ago where he and Gio worked down low, Zubrus protected the puck up the half boards, dumped it back to Gio (nice pass), who centered it to Elias for the deek- goal. Zubrus' work protecting the puck and making the pass to Gio (no look?) setup that goal.

- Jeff

I'm Zubrus's biggest defender and biggest torch-carrier for his signing in 2007. I do think Zubrus's down-low work has been outstanding, that's what we signed him for. But he's still gotta have more than 2 goals at this point - it only takes a few goals to turn a 'bust' into solid value.

Um....Rolston between Vrana and Bergfors.

Madden-Pando-clarkson fills up the 4th line.

I really hope this is sarcasm....

or do some of you actually believe that either of these guys are the "hidden NHL gems" that will make this team a force again???

The guy sign over from the Wild, turns down 20 other team offers, - all to play along side some AHL'rs. Trade me please!

It looks like everyone besides Marty obviously could be back within 2-3 weeks.

So, I guess this would be good

Elias Rolston Gionta/Zubrus

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Pandolfo Madden Clarkson/Gionta

Rupp Holik Zubrus/Clarkson

Salvador Martin

White Mottau

Oduya Salmela

Extras: Greene, Brookbank

Notes: Zubrus seemed to play well with Rolston, and I know Brent might at times do these rotations.