Where to put Rolston?

DaneykoIsGod

It looks like everyone besides Marty obviously could be back within 2-3 weeks.

So, I guess this would be good

Elias Rolston Gionta/Zubrus

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Pandolfo Madden Clarkson/Gionta

Rupp Holik Zubrus/Clarkson

Salvador Martin

White Mottau

Oduya Salmela

Extras: Greene, Brookbank

Notes: Zubrus seemed to play well with Rolston, and I know Brent might at times do these rotations.

Elias-Rolston-Gio

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Zubrus-Madden-Clarkson (he's really stepped up lately and IMO has passed Pando in terms of over all usefullness)

Pando-Holik-Vrana or Rupp (depending on the opponent)

Zubs/Madden/Clarkson should be more of a threat to score and just as effective on D

Oduya/Salmela is #2 pairing too much spped/ talent to be 3rd pair

White/Mottau -#3 pair

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greene was a PPG before he got injured. I can't see him getting kicked to the curb, Mottau or Salmela will probably sit.

Greene's ppg stat wasn't a big deal. He had three assists in one game and played 6 games all together I believe. I really don't think he played long enough to impress or discourage anyone.

i dont see how they could possibly break up the EZG line now that they are all playing so well, both elias and gionta producing goals with terriffic assists by zubrus.

rolston will need to be worked in, he will also take a few weeks to get back his conditioning.

I see him playing the powerplay, and in a variety of situations with limited ice time until he finally winds up on one of the top 2 lines.

Edited by ice dog

Greene's ppg stat wasn't a big deal. He had three assists in one game and played 6 games all together I believe. I really don't think he played long enough to impress or discourage anyone.

He was the only one producing at that time from the point so I think it was a big deal. Then again the bipolar people on this site forgot how he played.

Well after tonight's game I'm sure most people are going to want to keep Zubrus in between Gio and Elias. This is quite the dilemma of where to stick Rolston.

I say we wait and see how we do against the pens or the Canadiens, both very good teams coming up in our schedule, after those games we can see how the lines would be when really tested and then we'll have a better idea of which line to break up.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

Or have short memories and forget the 50 games he played last year and his preseason. That can work both ways.

Absolutely.

Greene's play seemed markedly better through the LIMITED games he played this season.

I think that's the key - "LIMITED" - can he be consistent???

That's what worried me about last season.

He still needs to prove that he has raised his game as a whole and not just an exceptional one or two games.

I, for one am hesitant, to unequivically reserve a spot on the point for him based on only a few games.

Should he get the opportunity - yes - to earn it back. He's earned a ticket to compete but no gaurantee.

He will be in hot competition with Samela, and together thats good for the team.

I think Samela is the biggest reason for our recent offensive efforts, finally a point shot that consistently gets through and is somewhat of a threat!!!

Edited by DevilinLA

I think if Greene plays well enough when he comes back from his injury it should be a showcase period to trade him to a team that needs a puck-moving defenseman. This team is rather full of that particular kind of player and should use that glut to get something it actually needs.

What do you trade him for though?

All the sudden we have a glut of them? I wouldn't ever trade Greene or a guy like him - what do we need back for him? He's like 2 years away from UFA, he's not drawing interest. Throw in the fact that Oduya's no guarantee to stick around in Jersey and who knows about Salmela too. Worst case scenario Salmela sits, but I can definitely see him being the kind of player who doesn't play in the playoffs because he's too big a gambler.

Odds are this will be moot as one of White or Salvador will get injured by the time Greene is ready to return.

Edited by Triumph

All the sudden we have a glut of them? I wouldn't ever trade Greene or a guy like him - what do we need back for him? He's like 2 years away from UFA, he's not drawing interest. Throw in the fact that Oduya's no guarantee to stick around in Jersey and who knows about Salmela too. Worst case scenario Salmela sits, but I can definitely see him being the kind of player who doesn't play in the playoffs because he's too big a gambler.

By my count we've got Martin, Oduya, Salmela and Greene that are all skating defensemen. By my count that puts us one ahead of our ideal number of 3 skaters to go with our 3 hitters. Since offensive defensemen are more valuable on the open market than defensive defensemen, that makes any one of those players a valuable commodity and therefore a waste to have sitting around watching games from the crowd or playing in Lowell. Of the four, Greene has the least overall potential in my opinion and should therefore be the one that gets moved. As for their contract situations, well I haven't looked too terribly carefully at that aspect so my reasoning could be flawed from that end.

Odds are this will be moot as one of White or Salvador will get injured by the time Greene is ready to return.

This last is one of the most illogical statements I've ever read from you, Tri. Players have timetables for recovery, not injury. There's no telling when Salvador or White get injured. It could happen tomorrow or three years from now.

lolz, guess I was wrong. From Fire and Ice:

Sutter said after the game he would keep Zubrus at center even after Brian Rolston returns from his high right ankle sprain. Rolston had been shifted to right wing before he was injured in Atlanta on Oct. 16. He might be going back to right wing when he gets healthy.

So Zubes will stay, which means we'll have him, Zajac, Madden and Holik in the middle when everyone gets back. Therefore, the speculation becomes which line does Rolston join? I said (wrote) my part in the earlier post but now I have no idea. Maybe Pando-Madden is the only line that will be open for him when he gets back? Like the OP said, not a bad problem to have.

Elias - Zubrus - Gionta

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Rolston - Madden - Clarkson

Pandolfo - Holik - Rupp

:D

Pando shouldn't be on the ice for as much as he is playing against other team's top lines anymore. Maybe for 15/20 seconds, but not the whole shift, because he can't provide any counter attack whatsoever. That Madden-Rolston-Clarkson line could produce time in the other team's zone good enough to keep their good guys away from ours. It's got some speed, defense and toughness.

Jay-Holik-Rupp is a very good, defensive fourthline with guys you can plug in most of the other lines short term.

By my count we've got Martin, Oduya, Salmela and Greene that are all skating defensemen. By my count that puts us one ahead of our ideal number of 3 skaters to go with our 3 hitters. Since offensive defensemen are more valuable on the open market than defensive defensemen, that makes any one of those players a valuable commodity and therefore a waste to have sitting around watching games from the crowd or playing in Lowell. Of the four, Greene has the least overall potential in my opinion and should therefore be the one that gets moved. As for their contract situations, well I haven't looked too terribly carefully at that aspect so my reasoning could be flawed from that end.

You're not going to get anything for Greene straight up, so why bother? Contract situations are the most important thing to look at now. Oduya's UFA after this season. Salmela's RFA, but you never know if he'll be pining for the fjords and move back to Scandanavia. And I think that ideal is bunk, post-lockout - if you've got a bunch of skating defenders, you're simply ahead of the game. There's no guarantee that Greene or Salmela can maintain this play over the long haul. Greene can be the throw-in to a deal but he cannot be a centerpiece. The Devils now have, or think they have, substantial depth at all positions.

This last is one of the most illogical statements I've ever read from you, Tri. Players have timetables for recovery, not injury. There's no telling when Salvador or White get injured. It could happen tomorrow or three years from now.

But it's more likely to happen sooner than later. Salvador, since the lockout, has played in 46, 64, and 64 games. Pre-lockout, the most he played in was 75. Colin White has played in 82 games once - since arriving to the NHL, he's missed a minimum of 9 games in all other seasons. Both of them are injury-prone guys.