Sign in to follow this  
SC Devs Fan

No No. 1 goalie, no problem for New Jersey Devils

No No. 1 goalie, no problem for New Jersey Devils

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/11...o_1_goalie.html

Certainly the Devils, in an attempt to stay in the playoff hunt, would be trading for a goalie. Maybe Dwayne Roloson. Or Nikolai Khabibulin. Perhaps Olaf Kolzig?

"You don't jump (to) things," Lamoriello said Tuesday as the Devils practiced in preparation for Wednesday's meeting with the Florida Panthers at the BankAtlantic Center. "I looked at what we had in hand and tried to stay focused. I needed to trust the people we had."

The main difference I see between Weekes and Clemmer is that Scott is a better puck handler. To be honest, Clemmer looks like he can handle the puck almost or just as well as Brodeur.

The main difference I see between Weekes and Clemmer is that Scott is a better puck handler. To be honest, Clemmer looks like he can handle the puck almost or just as well as Brodeur.

Are you kidding? Clemmer is not even close he can't even pass the puck up the ice.

Brodeur is the best ever at handling the puck, they even had to change the rules of hockey because of his prowess. You know the trapezoid behind the goal? That is the Brodeur trapezoid.

What are you smoking?

This thread is going to look both ironical and hilarious when we start playing better opponents. It is what it is people, lets not get carried away just because we have a few wins against weaker teams.

This thread is going to look both ironical and hilarious when we start playing better opponents. It is what it is people, lets not get carried away just because we have a few wins against weaker teams.

Better than LOSSES against weaker teams, right?

Right now it's a take it game-by-game situation and hope for the best. Basically, how the Devils do while Marty's out comes down to simple math: Weekes and Clemmer are a lock to give up at least 2-3 goals most nights (3s more than 2s), which means the Devils are going to have to average about 3.25 goals for or so per game while Marty's out to stay in the hunt. Hopefully the 1 goal and 2 goal games will coincide with those days where Clemmer or Weekes have nothing...it's easier to lose 5-1 when they're not on their games, as opposed to 2-1 when one of their better games gets wasted.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Better than LOSSES against weaker teams, right?

Right now it's a take it game-by-game situation and hope for the best. Basically, how the Devils do while Marty's out comes down to simple math: Weekes and Clemmer are a lock to give up at least 2-3 goals most nights (3s more than 2s), which means the Devils are going to have to average about 3.25 goals for or so per game while Marty's out to stay in the hunt. Hopefully the 1 goal and 2 goal games will coincide with those days where Clemmer or Weekes have nothing...it's easier to lose 5-1 when they're not on their games, as opposed to 2-1 when one of their better games gets wasted.

both of you are right - let's see how december goes playing playoff teams all month before we say these guys are getting it done.

both of you are right - let's see how december goes playing playoff teams all month before we say these guys are getting it done.

I was saying in another thread that the Devils are doing something they haven't done in a long time, BEATING UP on weaker teams. They have always played down to the weaker team's level. They pounded the Panthers, Lightning and Islanders. But yeah, we won't really know anything until maybe Pitt on Saturday or Philly next week.

Weekes is incorrect. Lalime and Legace are both currently playing in the NHL in backup roles, and Thibault is a ?mystery?

I was saying in another thread that the Devils are doing something they haven't done in a long time, BEATING UP on weaker teams.

Quite simply, it's because they have no choice, they have to beat these second-division teams now, they don't have enough talent currently on the ice to count on stepping it up (or having Marty steal one) against the top teams.

Quite simply, it's because they have no choice, they have to beat these second-division teams now, they don't have enough talent currently on the ice to count on stepping it up (or having Marty steal one) against the top teams.

So the Devils were choosing not to beat up on those teams before? They would go into Florida thinking that they could score 5 goals and win by 3 but they knew they could compete with the Penguins so they'd take it easy on the Flyers?

yeah i don't think you can on the one hand lament the fact that the Devils played close games in the past and that that stress would tire them out for the playoffs and then say now that they're putting in more effort in these games.

it's just that they are flat out a better team. a large dose of puck luck helps.

Edited by Triumph

So the Devils were choosing not to beat up on those teams before? They would go into Florida thinking that they could score 5 goals and win by 3 but they knew they could compete with the Penguins so they'd take it easy on the Flyers?

You know what I mean, there's more of a dire urgency now. It's one thing to say play every game all out, but when you're a 100+ point team every year the team's going to take nights off (say Phoenix last year). It's another to KNOW you have to win these games to stay afloat till the troops come back.

And the Devils have always beaten the Flyers so your example is poor anyway.

Edited by Hasan4978

You know what I mean, there's more of a dire urgency now. It's one thing to say play every game all out, but when you're a 100+ point team every year the team's going to take nights off (say Phoenix last year). It's another to KNOW you have to win these games to stay afloat till the troops come back.

And the Devils have always beaten the Flyers so your example is poor anyway.

I get your point, I just believe it's a faulty one. It didn't matter what team I listed, the fact you wanted to act as if it mattered shows either a poor understanding or trying to makes the discussion about something it isn't. The Devils sense of urgency doesn't allow them to score more goals and blow these teams out. Really good teams blow bad teams out all the time, they don't sit around and keep the games close because they know they can beat other better teams.

All teams take nights off, good or bad, but good teams tend to blow out bad teams and beat good teams by small margins, leading to a high goal differential. There are some exceptions, the more defensive a team plays the less goal differential in general they'll have, but teams won't choose to not blow teams out because they can do well against better teams. Players love to score, it's what they eventually get paid for, in most cases, so they're not going to willingly slack off just because they're playing a poor team. If the team was going to play with urgency because they're so bad this year as opposed to not caring if they scored a lot the last few years then the team still wouldn't have the killer instinct to have been beating up on these teams late in the third periods when the win was already effectively decided.

I think they tended to play a more held back system and play "don't make a mistake hockey" cause we only need 1-2 goals to win with marty back there and now the reality that this 1-2 is now 3-5... more open system!

Nobody handles the puck as good as Brodeur.

I think they tended to play a more held back system and play "don't make a mistake hockey" cause we only need 1-2 goals to win with marty back there and now the reality that this 1-2 is now 3-5... more open system!

I agree with that. Let's see how long they can keep that up.