Rupp "ticked Off" About Not Playing

Cowutopia

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/12...ng-tonight.html

"I was kind of caught off guard by it, but it is what it is," he said. "I'm not going to accept it and be fine with it. I'm ticked off about it and I'm going to do what I can to get back."

This will be the first game this season that Rupp won't play.

"I don't really want to talk about it," he said. "I'm just disappointed."

Boy, I'd be ticked too. He has played well.

It is obvious Sutter wants Rupp to be a HW fighter and Rupp is just not playing like a HW at all. PL3 is hitting and can fight and wants to fight. Sutter has told Rupp he has to know his role, PL3 brings that role to a game. Rupp is not necessarily in the line-up to score, he is there for energy.

Edited by Verran12

Rupp is a guy who you have to constantly keep angry and motivated...the minute he feels safe he is likely to slack off. Rupp has played well this year but if you don't rest him from time to time to piss him off you're likely to get some poor performances from him. That may not even be true anymore but the league has years and years of Rupp doing that so that's going to be the rap on him. Plus I'm a proponent of giving guys nights off during the year just to rest them up so one night off never really upsets me.

I could imagine the sh!t fit you guys would have if Sutter benched PL^3 with FIFTY family members buying tickets to see him play tonight :P

Sucks for Rupp but he's the worst forward on the roster and this a RARE "doing the right thing" moment from Sutter... get over it!!

If Rupp uses this as motivation for the future, all the better for Devils fans.

Indeed hopefully he uses this to make a big play on Dec 12, not so much with the puck, but a boneshattering hit on Dubinsky leaving him out cold would be fitting.

I'm ticked off Rupp is still on the team.

Agreed. Rupp isn't a prominent player on this team and just because he hasn't done anything wrong, doesn't give him immunity from being benched. People complain Sutter doesn't play young guys enough and then get annoyed when does. Seems to me. he wants to see what P3L brings against a good Montreal team. Not the worst idea in the world.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/12...ng-tonight.html

Boy, I'd be ticked too. He has played well.

This is not because anybody's unhappy with Ruppie," Sutter said. "It's just, Clarkie's (David Clarkson) not coming out of the lineup, and Bobby's going in, and Pierre's going to play the left side."

i saw nothing from leblond tonight that would warrant him playing over rupp.

Geez I thought I was tough on Sutter earlier in the season...what's the big deal either way?

I saw nothing from either that would convince me there's any appreciable difference in having one or the other in the lineup :P Leblond's a better fighter, Rupp's a better defensive forward and neither are any good offensively and both play five minutes a game.

If putting Leblond in was a reward for him and motivation for Rupp then all the better. But it's not like we're wasting a prospect on the bench sitting Rupp for a night, we already know what Rupp is.

It is obvious Sutter wants Rupp to be a HW fighter and Rupp is just not playing like a HW at all. PL3 is hitting and can fight and wants to fight. Sutter has told Rupp he has to know his role, PL3 brings that role to a game. Rupp is not necessarily in the line-up to score, he is there for energy.

Agreed, I think Sutter wants some protection for guys like Clarkson who otherwise have to go against guys like Asham the other night.