rumored Rags trade for Avery

xxchaznjxx

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3761075

A well-placed hockey industry source told ESPN.com on Wednesday evening there was a rumor percolating that Avery's old team, the New York Rangers, were interested in dealing defenseman Michal Rozsival and his four-year, $20-million deal to Dallas in exchange for Avery. The source suggested Avery would then be sent to the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Hartford in order to free up cap space to allow the Rangers to make a serious run at unrestricted free agent Mats Sundin who is believed to be paring down the list of teams he will considering signing with and hoping to make a decision within the next week.

don't think i believe this too much since the rags are thin on the blue line anyway. and they'd have to get Avery to agree to be sent down to hartford, which i don't think his ego would ever allow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3761075

don't think i believe this too much since the rags are thin on the blue line anyway. and they'd have to get Avery to agree to be sent down to hartford, which i don't think his ego would ever allow.

Actually I think they could send him down could they not? They could not sent him to the echl without his permission which was Dallas' problem. The AHL is a different story though - see Mogilny 05/06.

Why would Avery have to agree to that? Unless he has a no-trade, the only thing Avery can do is refuse to report.

It was only a matter of time until the Rangers exploited the fact that the salary cap never applies to the playoffs (afaik).

Edited by Triumph

Go ahead because I don't think the Rags are contenders with Sundin's no-cup-curse on board. That would make the Rags even worse in fact if they do so.

1st: Get rid of Roszival means a -12 already D-man Kalinin will eat more ice-time, Queen henrik, take this.

2nd: Sundin's presence may spark this team but the thin defense will haunt them anyway and Sundin is a defensive liability.

3rd: Avery's presence will create havoc either he is in AHL or NHL, distracting the team at best. Good luck.

4th: Sather sucks

Go ahead because I don't think the Rags are contenders with Sundin's no-cup-curse on board. That would make the Rags even worse in fact if they do so.

1st: Get rid of Roszival means a -12 already D-man Kalinin will eat more ice-time, Queen henrik, take this.

2nd: Sundin's presence may spark this team but the thin defense will haunt them anyway and Sundin is a defensive liability.

3rd: Avery's presence will create havoc either he is in AHL or NHL, distracting the team at best. Good luck.

4th: Sather sucks

you forgot ...

5th: rangers suck

Why would Avery have to agree to that? Unless he has a no-trade, the only thing Avery can do is refuse to report.

that's the point - i think i read somewhere that he DOES have a NMC that he would have to agree to. of course, based on this situation, he would agree to get traded anywhere i'd think but this is the reason why dallas can't just dump him in the minors (unless its because none of the minor league teams want him and dallas doesn't want to dump him there).

wow giving Sean Avery a no-movement clause is just terrible. People around here are screaming that Patrik Elias, the best LW in Devils' history, got one. Brett Hull is just a moron - he hasn't done anything as GM except recommend getting this guy.

I mean, the Stars could just scratch him every game unless he begged to get out, which is probably what will happen.

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Sean Avery, DAL - NMC [limited NMC, terms not available ... yet]

Jere Lehtinen, DAL - NTC

Mike Modano, DAL - NTC

Brendan Morrow, DAL - NTC

Brad Richards, DAL - NTC

Marty Turco, DAL - NTC

Sergei Zubov, DAL - NTC

I have a feeling 'limited' is one of those deals where he can submit a list of teams he would accept a trade to.

My question is... why would the Rangers want him poisoning their younger talent? Even if it is a cap exploitation for the playoffs?