The Rise and Fall of the Ottawa Senators

devilsrule33

They gave a stat in an OTT game recently where it was some large sample size, like the last 60-70 games or something where OTT is averaging less than a point per contest. I wouldn't have guessed that would happen.

I just checked out their schedule.

They started out 15-2-0 last year, suffered thorough a stretch where they went 1-5-3, but then recovered by going 13-3-1 over the next 17 games, giving them a record of 29-10-4 on January 12. Since then it's really gone downhill: a 25-34-9 record over their last 68 games, and that doesn't even include the four-game sweep they suffered at the hands of the Penguins. It really turned fast for that group.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First paragraph of my post...91 points in 96 games. How is that for sample size.

You know this thread is the ultimate jinx for the Devils...

That sample size is a little too big.

Check out their schedule and you'll see that it all really started with a 3-1 loss to the Islanders on January 13.

How about this motivation tactic by Craig Hartsburg.

And again I am paraphrasing, but this is very close to what he said..."If Jason Spezza can't get it done tonight in Jersey with Neil and Ruutu, then we have nothing left to do but sit him out."

Man, they're really down on Spezza in Ottawa. It's not like I watch a lot of Senators games, but the couple of them that I've seen it seems like Spezza's getting a lot of criticism from a variety of sources.

Talent or no talent, it sounds like his coach has had enough.

Well, it was a desperate measure to split up the top line and the whole team looked discombobulated with the line switch-ups.

As much as I hate his absolute guts, Mike Brophy is right about what ails the Senators - it's the defense. As hard as it is to believe, their defense is far more offensively inept than our own!!!

On nights our D can get pucks to the net, we get 5 goals (Buffalo, Ottawa). When our D is getting their shots blocked or shooting wide, we get 2 (Toronto). Ottawa's D have not been able to skate the puck through the neutral zone and not been able to get pucks on net on a consistent basis. Without getting a player like Paul Martin, no matter what the Senators do with their forwards is going to help their situation.

Well they have Kuba (who was never anything special in Minny and Tampa) and he's got a lot of points this year but other than that their D doesn't chip in at all.

I was literally chuckling when Alfredsson tried to bank the puck in off Clemmensen's helmet, shows you just how desperate they are for goals.

Hartsburg can do whatever and bench whoever he wants, it isn't going to change the fact they aren't that talented anymore. They didn't look particularly desperate either, which I guess tells you they aren't listening to the coach but they've had three coaches in the last year, it goes beyond that.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well they have Kuba (who was never anything special in Minny and Tampa) and he's got a lot of points this year but other than that their D doesn't chip in at all.

Well, Brophy pointed out that Kuba scored 11 of his points in the first 8 games when he had a horseshoe up his butt. In the last 22 games he has 9 points which is more in line with his historical numbers.

Ouch. These guys really do stink. What a mess.

That is putting it lightly there CR. :P

After tonight's game they look really bad and really lost out on the ice. Even their #1 line just does not have it anymore. Ottawa sure fell tonight for sure. Shame as they were a SCF a couple of years ago. They are terrible and Auld is not that good. I thought they were going to go with Gerber for the most part of this season, but I guess he has done worse than Auld in goal.

After tonight's game they look really bad and really lost out on the ice. Even their #1 line just does not have it anymore. Ottawa sure fell tonight for sure. Shame as they were a SCF a couple of years ago. They are terrible and Auld is not that good. I thought they were going to go with Gerber for the most part of this season, but I guess he has done worse than Auld in goal.

Auld is not a great goalie, but he has been playing better this year than he showed last night. I don't think it's fair to judge him on simply one performance. His stats are actually pretty good; .915 SV% and 2.34 GAA

Auld is not a great goalie, but he has been playing better this year than he showed last night. I don't think it's fair to judge him on simply one performance. His stats are actually pretty good; .915 SV% and 2.34 GAA

Auld is an average goalie at best. Those are pretty good numbers, but the downside is his team is not winning games for him. Scoring is down on a once potinent dangers team that use to score a lot of goals for Emery.

Auld is an average goalie at best. Those are pretty good numbers, but the downside is his team is not winning games for him. Scoring is down on a once potinent dangers team that use to score a lot of goals for Emery.

Throughout his career he has been an average goalie, but he has been playing well above average this year.

What does his team not scoring have to do with Auld being a bad goalie? The fact that he still puts up very good numbers despite being on a bad team should say something about his play this year.

You know what I'm late to this and I don't know if anyone said it... but someone should.....

it's watching a team rise and fall like this one has is why you HAVE to appreciate this near 15-year run of excellence the Devils have had... NOT ONCE in this era has the team slumped to a sub-playoff level... not once has it needed to be gutted and torn apart.... hell it's won Cups with extended breaks in between it and this is a special once in a lifetime type job Lou and staff has done to give us this team and the level we grow all too fast to under-appreciate over these years and you watch another team rise and fall so FAST... it makes you see what we got here and feel better about it!

Sorry bud, but you make no sense. Auld had been great in the first few months. He has kept the Sens in every game and has not let in any soft or weak goals that we have seen from Weekes or Clemmensen. In November he was 4-4-3 with a 1.94 GAA and .924 save percentage.

Last night, I couldn't blame him for a single goal really.

Seriously what the heck does his team scoring goals have to do with him? You give Clemmer all the love in the world, yet you dismiss Auld who has been playing at a level above him all season long. The funny thing is I couldn't even care what your response is because you won't even have one worth reading.

And it has nothing to do with Gerber playing badly. Auld has just been playing quite well for them.

You know what I'm late to this and I don't know if anyone said it... but someone should.....

it's watching a team rise and fall like this one has is why you HAVE to appreciate this near 15-year run of excellence the Devils have had... NOT ONCE in this era has the team slumped to a sub-playoff level... not once has it needed to be gutted and torn apart.... hell it's won Cups with extended breaks in between it and this is a special once in a lifetime type job Lou and staff has done to give us this team and the level we grow all too fast to under-appreciate over these years and you watch another team rise and fall so FAST... it makes you see what we got here and feel better about it!

And to think 3 Cups under 3 different coaches as well. We are spoiled. :)

Throughout his career he has been an average goalie, but he has been playing well above average this year.

What does his team not scoring have to do with Auld being a bad goalie? The fact that he still puts up very good numbers despite being on a bad team should say something about his play this year.

You didn't understand what I meant. If you do not win games it tends to fall on the goaltender. Yes, Auld is playing well this season and his stats show that, BUT if you are not scoring goals and winning games for him those stats really do not mean a hell of a lot does it? No. Auld wasn't that bad either when he was in Vancouver backing up Luongo. He is an average goalie playing above average on a team that has fallen dramatically.

This team was winning with Emery in goal and with the way Auld is playing it is suprising that this team is not winning infront of him.

Auld wasn't that bad either when he was in Vancouver backing up Luongo. He is an average goalie playing above average on a team that has fallen dramatically.

This team was winning with Emery in goal and with the way Auld is playing it is suprising that this team is not winning infront of him.

You're right. I don't understand what you mean. It started with you saying that Auld was a bad goalie while I was defending him, and somehow you're now trying to convince me that he's good. (But I know that; it's what I was saying from the beginning).

Yes, Auld is playing well this season and his stats show that, BUT if you are not scoring goals and winning games for him those stats really do not mean a hell of a lot does it? No.

What does that have to do with anything? I said that he's playing well this year, and you said 'Who cares, his team isn't winning games for him.' How does that relate in any way to what I am saying about Auld being a solid goalie this year? Are you just bringing up random ideas and trying to relate them to a situation that doesn't apply?

It's not like Ottawa has zero wins this year; Auld has played a major role in the wins that they have gotten so far. His stats still show that he is playing well even if his team is not coming through with the support.

You're trying to convince me of things that I never disputed and that have absolutely nothing to do with what I was arguing.