I look forward to one thread

SC Devs Fan

Were white people called Honkey for hundreds of years, while being enslaved, then persecuted and lynched? Jim Crow was not that long ago, and even today there is such racism towards blacks (mostly from ignorant white people who have never interact with black people)

:cryriver:

I didn't own one slave.

Absolutely 100% dead on. Plus the fact that those words are used by black rappers in nearly every song they make, it sickens me to think of the double standard. This has been one of the main reasons that I'm so critical of the modern black "civil rights" movement represented by people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. The day they go up to people like 50 cent and demand they stop using insulting language will be the day I give any respect to Not-so-sharp-ton and Jesse Hijackson.

But why do you need to use the word so badly?

I didn't own one slave.

Irrelevant. No one is talking about you personally doing something against black people. Society doesn't hinge on whether or not in your life you have don't anything negative toward a black person. You are having a conversation with yourself. Answer this...

Would white people do any better had they switched places with black people?

Does anything in life have to do with the color of your skin or is it some other 3rd party thing?

Are black people born differently where they have less self control than white people to the point where they just say the N-word for no reason?

Is is their opportunity and lingering racial attitudes towards them that are the root of the problem?

Edited by oofrostonoo

Post Slavery, Try the 60's when there were still laws written against black people. And not to mention years after that when there was such a huge racial division and persecution still going on.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but there is an underlying thing that needs differentiating.

Some people here suggest that being black has you genetically at a pre-disposition to others. That is incorrect. Being poor is the problem, and not having opportunity. Black people aren't born with a destiny of being poor, not working, and living off the gov.

I agree completely, by post slavery i mean 1860-1960's

Answer This: If all black people and white people switched places (whites became the minorities, who were once slaves, had laws against them, and were mostly poor) I mean magically switched positions completly. Would being white make people do any better? Are white people just better? because that is the assumption every time people as why can't black people get jobs, or make it out of the ghetto. Would white people be able to do it? I don't think so.

I think a lot of people make the "lazy minorities" argument without realizing that they commit the "fundamental attribution error" which basically means "i wouldn't act/do this" in a certain situation without thinking about it. Your environment changes your behavior. If you were put into an invironment with crime, drugs, and low income, i believe you would act the same REGARDLESS of color.

I didn't own one slave.

I agree. A lot of blacks make the argument that ALL white people were slave owners. I'm Irish, my people were slaves far before blacks.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

I have never heard that argument in my life.

I have heard it and it's wrong. Blaming whites individually is wrong. If Jimmy was making that point that it is wrong for black people to personally blame all whites for keeping them down, than I agree. If it was more tactfully and intelligently put I would have given him some credit, but the post came off as "black people are a bunch of crybabies that blame white people like me who have never done anything to them"

you've never heard a black person assume that a white person has descended from a slave owner because they're white?

First of all, no, and second that is much different than your previous post that stated a lot of black people argue that all white people were slave owners.

They are both equally racist words though, no? Does it matter which one is more offensive if they are both are racist?

I was responding to Leeds, whose response to oofrostonoo's explanation as to why honky is not as offensive was "I didn't own one slave."

Clearly he missed the point, so I was explaining it.

I was responding to Leeds, whose response to oofrostonoo's explanation as to why honky is not as offensive was "I didn't own one slave."

Clearly he missed the point, so I was explaining it.

I understand that. The point I'm trying to make is there is no, for lack of a better word(s), 'law' or 'rule' detirmine which word is more offensive. It comes down to a personal opinion. The bottom line is all words that belittle or degrade someone based on their race are equally offensive.

That's my opinion at least.

Ever seen blazing saddles??

They used the word nigger more then any Rapper's C could DREAM of :P

different time... different era... less whiny and more tolerant people :P

(I emphasize the word because I can... words only have power when people GIVE THEM power!)

Considering the director's first movie included a song titled "Spring Time For Hitler" I think Blazing Saddles was rather tame by comparison.

I'm always the guy to go off on someone using "nigger". I don't understand why black people use this word, it's possibly the most hateful word in the English language and its almost being ENCOURAGED by popular culture, its sickening. If you're black and you've ever called another person (regardless of color) a nigger, then you're a racist. I say black because any other race (white, hispanic) would be obvious racism. I mean, I'm glad to see that our country has come so far, but we aren't the only ones, we just had the most public slavery and civil rights movements. I don't know, i'm getting of topic.

racism is bad mmkay?

I think the only person on this board I've ever called racist was Lou, but he pretty much admits it. And I can definitely agree with some of his logic, urban areas are mostly minority and are hot spots for crime, but it goes way back to how our government handled post-slavery days. Think of this: if you live in a poor environment and your family is of no or little income, you're going to turn to illegal ways of making money or getting what you want when you're younger. This is why drugs are so prominent in urban areas, its easy to produce and sell, and it's a great way to make money.

First paragraph: There is an intentional irony involved in the use of the word "nigga" (rarely is "nigger" used) by blacks in the US. They are capturing the word for themselves and eliminating the inherent racism in the word.

Third: The crime problem in poor areas goes well beyond "black" slums. It is a story as old as time that those with lesser means to a steady life will resort more easily to activities that fly in the face of ordered, "civilized" societal norms as those who have something to lose by transgressing.

I understand that. The point I'm trying to make is there is no, for lack of a better word(s), 'law' or 'rule' detirmine which word is more offensive. It comes down to a personal opinion. The bottom line is all words that belittle or degrade someone based on their race are equally offensive.

That's my opinion at least.

Did you know that the etymology of the word "cracker" involves a slave owner and the "crack" of a whip? Recent information for me.

I still have never found racist words directed at me (admittedly rare) offensive because there hasn't been some threat behind them. I personally find that to be the test. Words are words, but words that threaten are something else entirely. "Nigger" always has had an historical threat of violence or intimidation behind it. So I can't blame people for seeing it as inherently wrong while scoffing at "honky" and "cracker" as milquetoast terms.

But I can't blame people for being just as upset by them. The standard above is my personal guide to whether I find offense or not, I do not expect others to adopt it.

I've been told I was "in the wrong neighborhood" before and didn't give two flying fvcks about it. But those situations were more offensive (but not very high on the total scale) than hearing Dolomite use "white honky motherfvcker" or hear the word "Mick" "Pollock" or "Kraut". The difference? There was something tangible that compelled me to care.

There is an extreme inoversensitivity that has pervaded the culture over all. But I don't think it is quite the crisis that some people like to make it out to be.

Edit: Excuse the blunder.

Edited by Senators Advocate

Bottom line to me is this: If you consider the N word hateful don't use it. If however you choose to use the word to describe yourself or others, then it can't possibly be so bad now can it? The argument that it is ok for a black person to use the word but not a white person is insane. You can't have it both ways.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.