The Zen Master Tom Renney

94Obsession

Renney is a very good coach who was able to get Jagr to buy into a defensive system and revive his career.

You can't blame Renney for bad off ice decisions and which basically eviscerated the defensive system he put in place.

There is no leadership or personality among the Ranger players.

Thank Odin for Sather.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought Renney was a good coach. Playing for shootouts has gained the Rangers an ass load of points that they may not have otherwise. Besides, Sutter has made his fair share of mistakes but he finally learned what the Devils were all about. I think the Rangers just wait for someone to give them direction, but can't always do what they're told. It's hard to make something work that way.

I agree, there weren't any rangers fans complaining about the trap last year when it was winning games.

Actually I know plenty of Rangers fans, mostly the 400 sections where I sit for games that did complain because they knew that that style of play would'nt get it done for us in the playoffs.

IMO and alot of others opinions, Renney's system is too defensive minded.

Heh, I guess we just disagree about Renney. (most Devils fans)

The Rangers ARE NOT the Devils, as much as Renney would like them to be. Only two teams have perfected that style of play. The old Canadiens teams, and the New Jersey Devils from 1995-2004.

I personally cannot stand that style of play.

But don't get me wrong, if the Rangers are gonna play that style, at least do it right, or at least do it partly right.

I would'nt care if the Rangers played a more offensive style while playing the defensive style. At least parts of it.

The Rangers are a very Vanilla team now. They're so predictable.

I mean slag him all you want, but at least when Avery was here, you didn't know was gonna happen.

He played like he actually gave a crap, and it rubbed off on everyone else. He played like he hated losing.

The only other Ranger now that hates losing even more is Henrik Lundqvist.

Do Rangers fans overrate him? Yes. But that doesn't make him overrated overall if only one fanbase is doing so. Also that "King" term wasn't even coined by Rangers fans. It came from the New York Papers the day after the Gold Medal win. Where he put on some of the best damn goaltending displays in that championship game and for most of the tournament.

You can't fault Rangers fans for using that term. We're just happy that we finally had a new goaltender that we can cheer for. Once that term was on the headline of the papers though, Rangers fans picked up on it.

Anyway, point is, a guy like Lundqvist can play for my team any day of the week. Because he HATES losing as he's shown many times.

Also, watch the Rangers on a game to game basis, if you can, you'll see that Renney's system doesn't cut it.

I always thought Renney was a good coach. Playing for shootouts has gained the Rangers an ass load of points that they may not have otherwise. Besides, Sutter has made his fair share of mistakes but he finally learned what the Devils were all about. I think the Rangers just wait for someone to give them direction, but can't always do what they're told. It's hard to make something work that way.

Playing for shootouts is just so ridiculous IMO. It creates an illusion that they're better than they really are.

Do Rangers fans overrate him? Yes. But that doesn't make him overrated overall if only one fanbase is doing so. Also that "King" term wasn't even coined by Rangers fans. It came from the New York Papers the day after the Gold Medal win. Where he put on some of the best damn goaltending displays in that championship game and for most of the tournament.

Here in Canada...Lundqvist gets talked about like he is the best goalie in the East, and most Canadian analysts and journalists seem to believe him and Luongo are 1 and 2 as the best goalie in the league.

He is terrible overrated here in Canada.

Edited by devilsrule33

Btw, if anyone was wondering, I don't HATE Tom Renney. I think he's a good coach for a team that's rebuilding and young. I don't think he's a good coach for veterans.

He's a nice guy, but I just feel it's Roger Neilson all over again. Like I said before, he's good enough to get them back to respectability, and the playoffs, but not good enough to take them to the next level.

I'm beginning to not like him though. Well i'm in the middle of that process now or have been since last year.

But I don't HATE him.

Just wanted to clear that up.

I just don't feel he's the coach for this team anymore.

Actually I know plenty of Rangers fans, mostly the 400 sections where I sit for games that did complain because they knew that that style of play would'nt get it done for us in the playoffs.

IMO and alot of others opinions, Renney's system is too defensive minded.

Heh, I guess we just disagree about Renney. (most Devils fans)

The Rangers ARE NOT the Devils, as much as Renney would like them to be. Only two teams have perfected that style of play. The old Canadiens teams, and the New Jersey Devils from 1995-2004.

I personally cannot stand that style of play.

But don't get me wrong, if the Rangers are gonna play that style, at least do it right, or at least do it partly right.

I would'nt care if the Rangers played a more offensive style while playing the defensive style. At least parts of it.

The Rangers are a very Vanilla team now. They're so predictable.

I mean slag him all you want, but at least when Avery was here, you didn't know was gonna happen.

He played like he actually gave a crap, and it rubbed off on everyone else. He played like he hated losing.

The only other Ranger now that hates losing even more is Henrik Lundqvist.

You can't fault Rangers fans for using that term. We're just happy that we finally had a new goaltender that we can cheer for. Once that term was on the headline of the papers though, Rangers fans picked up on it.

Anyway, point is, a guy like Lundqvist can play for my team any day of the week. Because he HATES losing as he's shown many times.

Also, watch the Rangers on a game to game basis, if you can, you'll see that Renney's system doesn't cut it.

If the Rangers had a stronger defense, they would be fine. They do a decent job of holding the neutral zone at times, but when a team gets through it, they can't get the puck out to save their lives.

How far do you think they drop when the rest of the east catches up in games played?

At least 94O is honest about the Rags not being that good, I know so many Rangers fans that are still under the illusion that they are the best because they are still in first. Anywho here is a stat for you guys. The Rangers have given up more goals(103) than scored(102)

Here in Canada...Lundqvist gets talked about like he is the best goalie in the East, and most Canadian analysts and journalists seem to believe him and Luongo are 1 and 2 as the best goalie in the league.

Well it's not his fault if someone overrates him. As Sandis Ozolinsh once said after a game 3 loss to the Devils when he was on the Rangers in 2006 after pinching in the first minute of the game and sucking the life out of the Garden..... "What can ya do?"

Figured you Devils fans would get a kick out of that quote I just used if anyone remembers it.

Seriously though, I don't know why people overrate players. He's no King.... yet, and he's certainly no queen. I understand it's to just piss Rangers fans off though. The Queen part.

What is it? Queen Helen you people say? At least that's what my Devils friend say's when he tries to get under my skin. Even though I know he's kidding around.

It's all good though. It's a part of the rivalry. I say good on the Devils and Rangers for actually being relevant again when they play each other.

Edited by 94Obsession

At least 94O is honest about the Rags not being that good, I know so many Rangers fans that are still under the illusion that they are the best because they are still in first. Anywho here is a stat for you guys. The Rangers have given up more goals(103) than scored(102)

I just like to tell it like it is. This way if the Rangers get knocked out in the playoffs, I won't be as surprised. Still heart broken though.

Has anyone seen what the Rangers winning percentage is? That's their REAL record.

Edited by 94Obsession

If the Rangers had a stronger defense, they would be fine. They do a decent job of holding the neutral zone at times, but when a team gets through it, they can't get the puck out to save their lives.

How far do you think they drop when the rest of the east catches up in games played?

Hmmmmmmmmm..... Good question. I'm not really sure right now. But if they don't pick it up soon, like starting tomorrow against the Islanders, I think they'll fall from either the 4-6 spot.

I'm fearing tomorrow actually as I will be there. Maybe if they get shutout by the Islanders, or just lose, maybe there would be some changes then. You would think they would.

If this was any other team, changes would've been made by now.

Btw, if anyone was wondering, I don't HATE Tom Renney. I think he's a good coach for a team that's rebuilding and young. I don't think he's a good coach for veterans.

He's a nice guy, but I just feel it's Roger Neilson all over again. Like I said before, he's good enough to get them back to respectability, and the playoffs, but not good enough to take them to the next level.

I'm beginning to not like him though. Well i'm in the middle of that process now or have been since last year.

But I don't HATE him.

Just wanted to clear that up.

I just don't feel he's the coach for this team anymore.

I see what you're saying, but there's good reason why Renney has been the first successful coach in New York in over a decade. He preaches accountability within a system where the team is bigger than individuals. With the Rangers, you will ALWAYS have a roster laden with superstars and expectations. You need a system that keeps those stars playing a team game, especially when they're getting paid the kind of head-inflating money that Sather keeps giving them. IMO, without Renney the Rangers go back to being the futile team they were before the lockout ... more big names and big contracts than big wins.

I hate the Rangers. Hate them with every ounce of my being. To me, they are an embodiment of all that is wrong and unholy in the universe. That said, there have been a handful of people to go through that organization that I just couldn't bring myself to dislike. Guys like Mike Richter, Brian Leetch, Chris Drury and Tom Renney. Those guys are like the corn niblets of class within the turd that is the Rangers.

winning in international play is terribly overrated in canada. lundqvist is a top 10 goalie but there's no way with a healthy brodeur that he is the best in the east.

winning in international play is terribly overrated in canada. lundqvist is a top 10 goalie but there's no way with a healthy brodeur that he is the best in the east.

If the team was playing like this in front of Marty we'd probably be talking about this as one of Marty's best seasons.

(Que Peter Griffin saying "Whoa" a bunch of times) I didn't say I think they will sign him, they think they will sign him. On HF boards at least.

That's exactly what I wrote, "how the hell do THEY think they are going to sign him". :) I know you don't expect them to do so and neither do I.

it's not renney...

the team just sucks.

And Sather. Thats what happens when you cripple yourself with overpaying players (even if it is just 1-2 million extra.. it all adds up) and also giving them long-term contracts.. Its so funny seeing people on HFB in the Rags forum screaming for Roszival or Redden and Gomez to be traded.

The Devils have been a successful organization for the past decade because they keep the same team. No big change-ups and big name players.. just simple signings and trades and great chemistry.