This Is America

LOULAM1

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18430596/detail.html

This is pathetic... The Detroit School system gives 11K per kid, DC is 11.5 and the worst in the country in regards to our public schools:

Detroit School Lacks Toilet Paper, Light Bulbs

Donations Accepted Beginning Jan. 12

POSTED: Wednesday, January 7, 2009

UPDATED: 8:34 pm EST January 7, 2009

DETROIT -- A Detroit elementary school is asking for donations of toilet paper and light bulbs to keep their school functioning.

The principal of the Academy of Americas sent a letter to staff, parents and partners asking for donations of items "that are of the utmost importance for proper school functioning and most importantly for student health and safety."

In the letter, Principal Naomi Khalil cited budget constraints within the district as the reason why the school could no longer stock the items.

The district is grappling with a more than $400 million budget deficit and is on the verge of being assigned an emergency financial manager by the state.

The letter asks for toilet paper, paper towel rolls, trash bags and 60, 100 or 150-watt light bulbs.

"We realize that the economic situation is stressful for our entire community, but we are asking for your collaboration," wrote Khalil. "We thank you for your cooperation and we hope that as a school community we can pull together to guarantee the best possible educational environment for our children."

Parents said a letter went out asking for supplies at the start of the school year.

"They sent out a letter for pencils, pens, they put Kleenex on there," said parent Danny Huddleston.

A spokeswoman for the district said the school is not running out of supplies but instead is asking for them to ensure they have sufficient supplies to what they already have.

But at least one parent said he doesn't mind helping out the school no matter the circumstance.

"I'm all about helping the school. If that's what they need then that's what we need to see what we can do to help the out," said Juan Oroczo.

Donations are being accepted at the school's font office, beginning Jan. 12.

They still have enough on hand, just asking for more donations.. whatever.

THIS IS WHAT KILLS ME! AT THE SAME TIME A SCHOOL IS BEGGING FOR TP, A CITY COUNCIL WOMAN DECIDES...

LOL!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/1843108...tail.html#video

Monica Conyers On Educational Trip To Israel

POSTED: Wednesday, January 7, 2009

UPDATED: 6:24 pm EST January 7, 2009

DETROIT -- Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers is en route to Israel to learn about that country and conflicts with its neighbors.

Spokeswoman Denise Tolliver said Conyers is to arrive Thursday in Jerusalem on the seven-day American Israel Education Foundation's African-American Leadership Mission.

She and other leaders from across the U.S. will visit Israel's borders with Lebanon and Syria and meet with Palestinian and Israeli reporters.

Conyers has been criticized for spending time away from the Detroit City Council and the cost of her security detail.

Conyers did not mention her absence to all her co-workers. Council member Kwame Kenyatta said he learned about her trip Wednesday afternoon when Local 4 reporter Roger Weber asked him to comment on it.

Conyers was also absent from the council for over a month in the summer for a surgery she never revealed.

Conyers' will miss a council meeting Tuesday, but is being kept abreast of city issues.

Conyers trip comes the day after the city's bond status was downgraded to junk status.

"You don

and you wonder why i get angry when they want to hike taxes because they ran out of money... they HAVE NO CLUE ON HOW TO SPEND IT RIGHT!!!!!!

I've said it a million times about the schools in NJ and the disgrace that is!

and you wonder why i get angry when they want to hike taxes because they ran out of money... they HAVE NO CLUE ON HOW TO SPEND IT RIGHT!!!!!!

I've said it a million times about the schools in NJ and the disgrace that is!

Yup. Spot on. My towns K-8 system is a$$ backwards. Ever hear of 50 year old teachers making $125,000?? So last year when the budget didn't pass, they cut after school (late, sports) busing instead of teacher salary.

Nothing like seeing the school portion of the tax bill and wondering what the hell they are spending that money on.

5 years in IT consulting in school districts... honestly... you don't wanna know....

we need to spend this $50,000 so we get it again next year... buy some switches and stick them in a closet, we'll use them eventually :blink:

Detroit IMHO is one of those cities in the US that needs to be blown off the face of the map. No offense to anyone here who lives there but this city is a friggen cespool of immorality, crime, and decadence. The ONLY thing it has going for it is the big automakers of the nation station themselves there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.