The Wrestler

LOULAM1

Watching the tv ad's for the movie "The Wrestler", I could have sworn I saw "Convention Hall". Yeah, it is in the movie I guess for only a few seconds but damn it makes me proud that I grew up at the shore.

http://newarkusa.blogspot.com/2008/12/bruc...tler-movie.html

Looks like a great movie and glad to see Asbury Park, Bruce and NJ represented.

they filmed some bar scenes down the block from here

is this movie going to be released nation-wide or just in spot areas?

Nation wide. Real quick, when I checked out to make sure it was Asbury, the link I afforded you and everybody else on this forum was not an advertisement for "Libido-Max" or "Enzyte". Don't know who the guy is in the link, but he validated my question about Asbury.

And you're saying... "Sure Loulam, it's ok.. but libido max?"

LOL! Anywho, glad it's an NJ based movie.

It is a great movie. Worth the trip into the city, but go to Sunshine since that place rocks. Also, go see Slumdog Millionaire (which is playing widely in NJ).

I forget what it is like to get good movies. Atlanta rarely gets anything good. We used to have a decent theater which showed things like that but it was bought by a chain and now shows the same studio crap as everywhere else.

I saw too many movies when I was home for break.

Nation wide. Real quick, when I checked out to make sure it was Asbury, the link I afforded you and everybody else on this forum was not an advertisement for "Libido-Max" or "Enzyte". Don't know who the guy is in the link, but he validated my question about Asbury.

Any idea when this happens?

Not looking forward to a trip into the city for it

and they keep advertising it in the vancouver game :rant:

Any idea when this happens?

Not looking forward to a trip into the city for it

and they keep advertising it in the vancouver game :rant:

It doesn't look like it's going to be in Jersey any time soon, according to the movie's site. They're rolling it out in a bunch of cities each week, and the only thing close by is NYC. I would have thought Red Bank or Hoboken at least would have gotten it. Oh well.

Supposedly a kid I work with who's also an indie wrestler is in the film at some point in time, so I'll probably wind up checking it out eventually.

It doesn't look like it's going to be in Jersey any time soon, according to the movie's site. They're rolling it out in a bunch of cities each week, and the only thing close by is NYC. I would have thought Red Bank or Hoboken at least would have gotten it. Oh well.

Supposedly a kid I work with who's also an indie wrestler is in the film at some point in time, so I'll probably wind up checking it out eventually.

Do you know his ring name perchance? Odds are I haven't heard of him, but you never know.

Randy "the Ram" something

(I just saw it)

VERY good movie

the funny part to me is we saw these kinda crappy wrestling shows in those very same venues and kinda recognized half the places in the movie!! :thumbsup:

I wanna see this movie soo badly, i was pumped to hear its being showed in winnipeg now...

I wanna see this movie soo badly, i was pumped to hear its being showed in winnipeg now...

it was pretty good.... the match with Necro-Butcher... OH MY GOD :blink:

I wonder if it will have the same charm for you though because like I said... we went to see shows in all the arenas they showed.... we even recognized that lil midget in the electric wheelchair cart he high fives in Rahway :unsure:

It was also kinda fun to see which wrestler he was looking like.... we got a lot of Billy Gunn... and then we began wishing this on him :P

• 2 weeks later...

so we saw this movie on friday...what a weird ending, everyone was just kinda sitting there at the end like, "uhhh is that it?"

honestly it could have been alot better..i did appreciate the jersey the promoter guy was wearing though..

i gotta go catch this. I saw convention hall in the promos too!

I miss the pony and the saint and convention hall. do they still do shows there?

so we saw this movie on friday...what a weird ending, everyone was just kinda sitting there at the end like, "uhhh is that it?"

honestly it could have been alot better..i did appreciate the jersey the promoter guy was wearing though..

I kinda liked the ending... gave him a feeling of immortality so to speak... and I kinda saw that coming too :P

It's WAY better then the real life endings these guys have!

i gotta go catch this. I saw convention hall in the promos too!

I miss the pony and the saint and convention hall. do they still do shows there?

I can confirm Linden and Garfield for sure in the movie (they even had the lil midget in the electric scooter we see in Linden :lol:)

I have no idea you can check out some of the websites of the local indy feds:

http://www.prowrestlingsyndicate.com (WARNING... fun wrestling mixed with BAD RAPPERS!)

http://www.japw.net/

and of course:

http://www.rohwrestling.com/

(though I have yet to see an ROH show in person)

Just to chime in on this thread, I saw the Wrestler last night and it was pretty fantastic. I can see why people didn't like the ending, but I thought it was perfect. Anything else would have been hacky as 20 minutes into the film, you pretty much know how it's going to play out. Some thoughts after seeing it:

- The film was a great movie but a brilliant character study. The wrestling is really just an entertaining backdrop to the real point of the movie which was the importance of relationships. Of course some good ol' fashioned a$$ kicking didn't hurt things either :D

- Mickey Rourke deserves his Oscar nomination but shouldn't win...nobody I've seen this year has trumped Sean Penn in Milk. You can tell he dug deep down for the role but Sean Penn became a totally different person.

- A little too much "shaky cam" in the beginning but I got used to it

- I'm a sucker for a good Jersey reference and this movie is filled with them...if anybody knows which name was on the guys jersey, let me know...I kept trying to read it but couldn't.

- The supporting cast was decent. Marisa Tomme was good enough but the girl who played the daughter was borderline bad in the beginning.

- If anyone is familiar with the director, Darren Arronofsky (Pi, Requiem for A Dream, The Fountain), he has a tendency to be either too cool or too arty. I'm thinking the relative failure of The Fountain humbled him into getting over himself and the result was a new found focus on simply telling a good story. No quick cuts, no split screens, no arty fisheye lens in the doctor's office...just some hand held camera work, a great script and a focus on crafting a great film. The result is his best film yet.

Oh, and I don't think they still do shows at the Convention Hall but that place will be missed. Many a Skate and Surf was spent there in my younger days.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Wrestler. It was ok, but I prefer the film classic No Holds Barred to be honest.

My Thoughts

1. I don't need every scene to be a shot of the back of a character's head as they walk around. Boring....

2. The film was very realistic i felt in terms of presenting how unglamorous it is to work the independent circuit as a wrestler. Also the grime and dirt of NJ is captured beautifully.

3. The speech The Ram gives at the end was totally out of place and unprofessional. I thought they did it for dramatic effect and it was a big mistake since it didn't ring true for the charecter to give such a speech.

4. The acting was good, but way overhyped.

5. I liked the ending, I felt it was appropriate given the entire story arc.

6. VERY realistic wrestling scenes, although they clearly shortened matches for the film, the action seems plausible (in that it seems appropriately fake...if that makes sense)

7. Having already seen Beyond the Mat and MTV's True Life: I am a Wrestler I didn't really feel all that compelled by the film since I felt like I knew the character already.

Glad i saw it, brought me back to Jersey and pro wrestling, something I loved when I was younger and still enjoy moderately nowadays. I just wish more stuff happened...