GDT: Devils @ LA Kings 7:30PST/10:30 EST 1/10/09

DevilinLA

NJ Devils vs. Los Angeles KINGS 7:30 PST/10:30 EST 1/10/09

Staples Center, Los Angles

Well, this marks the beginning of a long road trip for the Devils.

Argueably, this trip could define whether this team can get it together and continue to dazzle or follow the former Brodeur-less predictions of the mass media and go belly-up.

First off, I'll be attending this one tonight in person, rockin' my game-worn Pandolfo w/"A" directly behind the Devils Bench. Gotta represent!!!

Thus marks my first and last GDT...

Devils Recap and Quick Facts:

Record: (23 - 14 - 3) 3rd Place Atlantic Division

The New Jersey Devils have been good at sending fans home disappointed of late. They just hope to keep doing so as they head off on their longest road trip of the season.

Coming off a lackluster effort, the Devils hope a matchup in Los Angeles against the Kings will give them a boost as they kick off a six-game trek Saturday night.

New Jersey has lost three of its last five at home, getting shut out in each of those defeats. (Associated Press)

Devils vs. LA Kings Preview (AP)

- The worst of those losses came Thursday night, falling 4-0 to a woeful Atlanta team which hadn't posted a shutout all season.

- A loss would mark the first 3 game-in-a-row loss since the four game skid back in November 8 - 14th.

- Devils have lost the past 2 road games scoring only 2 goals in each.

- All Star Zach Parise winger has been held of the scoresheet for the last 3 games.

- Patrick Elias has not tallied a point in two career games vs. Los Angeles.

- New Jersey goalie Scott Clemmensen looks to possibly make a strong psychological rebound on this road trip (possibly against ANA) after being pulled from his last game vs. Atlanta for his first time.

- I'm sure as sure as TG knows in the morning someone will post whether its Weekes or Clemmer.

- New Jersey did beat Los Angeles 6-3 at The Rock on Feb. 2 in the teams' only meeting of the 2007-08 season.

The Record @ Staples Center:

- They are 3-0-2 on the road against Los Angeles since a 4-1 loss on Nov. 29, 1997.

Kings Recap and Quick Facts:

Record: (17 - 17 - 6) 4th Place Pacific Division

Surprisingly, this is not the same old pushover Kings squad. Although no major new pieces were added in the UFA season, the team has still performed very well and will probably be a squad to be reckoned with in a few years. The goaltending tandem of Erik Ersberg and newbie Jonathan Quick has replaced the somewhat inconsistent performance of vet JAson Labarbera (who is now a VAN member). Additionally the resigning of forward star Anze Kopitar early this season has taken a lot of the mystery out of the future of this team and replaced it with security. The subtraction of veterans Lubomir Vishnofsky and Rob Blake on the blue line hurts, but new young talents like Drew Doughty are picking up those reigns, showing great star potential, and adding some flair to the team. Terry Murray has been a positive coaching change for this team - offering a "teacher-coach" role for much of the young talent on this squad.

- Los Angeles scored a total of three goals in its previous three games before breaking out Thursday, when Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown each had a goal and an assist.

- In addition to jettisoning netminder Jason LaBarbara for "going young", the Kings have allowed 11 goals in their last seven games behind their new rookie goalie-stud Jonathan Quick.

- Although Quick also gave up three goals in his last game Los Angeles beat Anaheim 4-3 on Thursday.

- Quick had given up two goals or fewer in each of his previous five starts, and a 1.78 goals-against average in eight games since being called up from Manchester of the AHL on Dec. 16.

- King's All-Star Pick Dustin Brown's scored a day after he was named to the Western Conference Lineup. He failed to register a point in his previous six games.

- Kings rookie

Edited by DevilinLA

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nicely done DevilinLA! Much more informative then mine usually are lol, you do know if we win that nominates you till we lose ;)

I love these west coast games. It ensures that I'll be home from work in time to watch it live. Should be a fun day with the storm coming and all. At least I'm working a mid-day shift instead of a closing shift today. Anywho...

:koolaid: :koolaid: Let's Go Devils :koolaid: :koolaid:

NJ Devils vs. Los Angeles KINGS 7:30 PST/10:30 EST 1/10/09

First off, I'll be attending this one tonight in person, rockin' my game-worn Pandolfo w/"A" directly behind the Devils Bench. Gotta represent!!!

For one, its very encouraging to see Devils fans wearing their jersey behind the benches (saw a few in the Carolina game).

Two, this team made it through Nov 29-Dec 27 stretch where we played 13 tough and very important games. 2 against the: Rags, Flyers, and Sabres. As well as playing one game against the Habs and Bruins, and 3 against the Penguins. If we made it through that, I think we can get it together and start collecting the points on this road trip.

Lets get two points tonight and start heading back up the standings.

LETS GO DEVILS

For God's sake, Devils, start winning some freaking games again!

I mean...sheesh...the way you've been playing as of late...just go ahead and stick a knife...RIGHT IN MY F***ING HEART! DO YOU ENJOY SEEING ME THIS WAY? HUH?

REALLY...WHAT THE F*** DID I EVER DO TO YOU TO DESERVE THIS KIND OF PLAY? HUH? NOOOOOOO..."I DON'T KNOW" IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER! I WANT REAL ANSWERS! I REFUSE TO ACCEPT "I DON'T KNOW!" MY SEVEN-YEAR-OLD KID DOESN'T GET AWAY WITH THAT, SO WHY SHOULD YOU?

YOU'RE BREAKING MY F***ING HEART, DEVILS! DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT MY FEELINGS? DO YOU HAVE NO RESPECT FOR ME AFTER ALL MY YEARS OF DEDICATION?

LOSE AGAIN AND I JUST MAY DIE. THERE...YA HAPPY? F***!

(slight pause)

Okay, I think I'm done. It's almost lunchtime and I'm hungry.

Nice job on the GDT there DevilinLA! :koolaid:

Ahhh Alyssa Milano. One of my all-time favorite pictures with a Devils jersey on. :uni:

Tonight starts a 6-game road trip for the Devils and hopefully it will start on the right track. They have not been starting the last 4-5 games the way they should be and maybe this road trip will bring this team closer. They need to come out on fire and get the first goal to take their crowd out of the game.

Devils have faired very well vs. the Kings in LA and they need to keep that train rolling.

Brian Rolston will be playing in his 1000th game of his career as a New Jersey Devils uniform tonight and maybe he will score a goal.

Per TG;

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

Rolston to play in 1000th NHL game

Devils forward Brian Rolston is expected to play in his 1000th NHL game Saturday night in Los Angeles.

Rolston will become the seventh player to play in his 1000th game while with the Devils. Dave Andreychuk, Neal Broten, Bob Carpenter, Ken Daneyko, Claude Lemieux and Scott Stevens also played in their 1000th games while with the Devils.

Devils need to get their PP going and keep the Kings off the board on the PK tonight. Not sure who will be in goal for the Devils tonight, but whoever is in ( I think it maybe Weekes) needs to play solid against this Kings team and the Devils cannot take this team lightly. They have guys on that team that vcan scores goals like Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan and Simmonds. It could be Clemmensen to get him back on the winning side after losing two in a row and he has had almost two days rest. We shall see.

The EC is getting real tight and crowded with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Florida and Carolina right behind the Devils in the standings. Devils need this win and the 2-points tonight and with a NYR and Flyers loss the Devils would be 1-pt. behind the NYR and 2-points behind the Flyers for 1st place in the division.

Have a good time at the game DevilinLA and whoever else is going to the game. Hopefully you will see a nice win by the Devils.

Just GET THE WIN DEVILS! GET ER DONE! :koolaid:

:evil:LETS GO DEVILS!!!! :evil:

Edited by SatansDevils

It's snowing out, so my little winter Jersey Shore trip has been cancelled...so today seems to be a great day for a hockey marathon.

Carolina @ Boston at 1

Pittsburgh @ Colorado at 3

Minnesota @ Columbus or Washington @ Montreal at 7

Devils @ Kings at 10:30

Twelve straight hours of hockey on a snowy Saturday off in January? Can't beat it.

Also, I hope the Kings are wearing their alternate jersey tonight. I rather like it.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/projection...e_id=2009011008

Sporting News AccuScore Projection

Devils 2.2

Kings 2.4

Probability of a fight: 36.2%

Devils win percentage: 46.8% (Big win 9.8%, Close win 25.8%)

Kings win percentage: 53.2% (Big win 12.5%; Close win 27.8%)

Coach Brent Sutter is apparently changing his third and fourth lines if the morning skate is an indication. John Madden is centering a line with Brian Rolston at left wing and David Clarkson on the right side. Bobby Holik is centering a line with Jay Pandolfo on his left and Mike Rupp on his right.

The top two lines remain the same: Zach Parise-Travis Zajac-Jamie Langenbrunner and Elias-Zubrus-Brian Gionta.

Kevin Weekes came off first, indicating he will start in goal for the Devils. Scott Clemmensen stayed on the ice for extra work.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/01...evils.html#more

Interesting...